[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/o/ I like working with engines, but hate working on cars. Do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6
/o/
I like working with engines, but hate working on cars.
Do you guys think a career in engine development is a good idea?
I think I'd enjoy engine mapping and calibration.
How do I get this job?
>>
File: iTiig7G.jpg (102 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
iTiig7G.jpg
102 KB, 960x720
>>15167258
bumping for jobs in the automotive industry that aren't mechanics/technicians
>>
>>15167258
The IC engine will be obsolete in 20 years. If you want a career that lasts longer than that you should choose something else.
>>
>>15169051
>Electric gets better and better every year!

Combustion gets better and better as well. It's not going anywhere.
>>
>>15167258
You get a job with an engine maker, obviously. You know cars aren't the only thing that use ICEs, right?
>>
>>15169051
You're right...
>>
>>15169051
>The IC engine will be obsolete in 20 years

That's what they said in the 90s (^:

IC Engines aren't going anywhere till batteries can last more than 10 years
>>
>>15169051
>>15169105
ICEs aren't going anywhere period until miniature nuclear reactors become cheap. They have too many industrial applications otherwise.
>>
File: 1457245239515.jpg (236 KB, 709x720) Image search: [Google]
1457245239515.jpg
236 KB, 709x720
>>15169105
I saw a nissan (or renault?) Leaf yesterday using the "free to use" charge point at a car park in Salisbury.
I parked up, did my shopping, had some lunch.
>mfw when I came back there was a couple sat in the car waiting for it to finish charging.
>>
File: dylan.gif (322 KB, 250x167) Image search: [Google]
dylan.gif
322 KB, 250x167
>>15169063
>>
>>15167715
saved that pic for my "Car autism folder"
>>
File: BedfordRascal009.jpg (177 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
BedfordRascal009.jpg
177 KB, 1024x768
>>15167258
The market for antique vans is actually rather large. Try that instead.
>>
>>15167258
The only way you'd be able to do engine development is with a degree in mechanical engineering. An extensive background in thermodynamics is critical along with machine design.
>>
>>15167258
>a career in engine development
you mean a career in mechanical engineering with emphasis on thermo and fluid dynamics
>>
File: workride.jpg (42 KB, 748x561) Image search: [Google]
workride.jpg
42 KB, 748x561
>>15167715
why dont you just do what i did famalam

hone your people skills, learn to make personal connections with all kinds of people....learn to read them, are they a serious person? more of a jokester?
learn to efficiently manage a crew of technicians.
become a manager at a shop.

i started as an oil change bitch at a car wash, and now 6 years later ill be turning 26 on the first of next month pulling in 82k a year (after taxes/benefit deductions) just talking to people and making sure whiny techs get their shit done.

you can use the skills you develop in a wide range of different jobs too. Having a technical as well as management and sales background can take you anywhere you fucking want to go, if you put in the hard work and dont give up.
>dat american dream
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.