[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
2003 Mercury Grand Marquis troubleshooting help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 2003-mercury-grand-marquis-3.jpg (867 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
2003-mercury-grand-marquis-3.jpg
867 KB, 1600x1200
So my fiance's grandfather gifted me his 2003 grand marquis A few weeks ago when his eyes went too bad to drive himself, and he's taken wonderful care of it. He bought it brand new, did regular scheduled maintenence, and it hashould roughly 160,000 miles. Now, when I started driving it, it operated almost perfectly, with only one real problem. Every so often, if I very lightly accelerated it would lurch forward and then continue to accelerate smoothly, and sometimes it would just not accelerate at all for a few seconds, or I'd lose acceleration. I called some fuck I used to work with at a recovery shop and he said to spray carb cleaner into the air intake while it was running. I did this the day before yesterday, and since then it stopped losing acceleration but I lost almost all idle and most of the pickup. When I sprayed the Berrymans B12 carb choke and throttle cleaner in I know I got some on the MAF sensor, so today I got CRC MAF cleaner and cleaned it with that. I also got CRC throttle and intake cleaner and cleaned the throttle panel and as far as I could reach around it, and removed and cleaned the idle air control valve. Now the idle is back to normal, but I still don't get the same pickup I was getting before I "fixed" it the first time, and the engine hesitates and rumbles on acceleration, usually between 30-50 mph. Any suggestions or advice from someone who knows more than I do?
>>
It sounds like a sensor.. probably a throttle position sensor. You can take it to autozone or oreillys and they will scan it and tell you if the computer detected a problem
>>
I'm hoping g it's something I can do myself. I know most of the parts for this car are relatively cheap, so if I can avoid taking it to a shop I'd like to try.
>>
>>15164526
I've been wondering if that's the case, if it is ill just have someone do that for me. Looked up the procedure and it's a bit beyond my ability.
>>
>>15164535
Unless I was reading about adjusting it instead of just replacing it. I can definitely just replace it.
>>
>>15164526
Will driving on it like this until I can get it fixed do bad damage?
>>
>>15164503
Vast majority of the time these sorts of concerns are coils/plugs. Mostly the coils.
>>
>>15164571
See now this is an area I dont have knowledge of. Any way you'd be willing to give me a brief explanation of that system, and what may be wrong with it? I am trying to learn how to maintain my own vehicle, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>15164571
Should have mentioned plugs I know, not the coils.
>>
File: ford-cop-assembly1.jpg (65 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ford-cop-assembly1.jpg
65 KB, 640x480
>>15164588
That car has eight coils individually controlled by the PCM that generate high voltage but low amperage (see: Kettering ignition) and are used to fire the plugs. Most common failure is the boot due to age (pic related) but the body of the coil can also allow arcing to ground so it's best to just replace both. Especially since you can't really get boots separate from the coil itself through regular parts channels.
>>
>>15164503
Another thing to look at replacing is the fuel filter, since it's an often forgotten thing.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.