[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BMW E39 M5
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 00s0s_aK7p61dKWWS_600x450.jpg (37 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
00s0s_aK7p61dKWWS_600x450.jpg
37 KB, 600x399
Ok, so I am.considering buying a BMW E39 M5..pros ?? Cons??
>>
>>15164491
Great cars, love em to death but You'd better be able to do the work yourself, or you won't be able to keep it running.
>>
You need to learn how to wrench, you need to make sure it's rust free otherwise it'll run away on you. Make sure the chain guides get serviced regularly. If it's in your budget and good condition, and you can do most of the work yourself get it man. I was looking at buying one but ended up in a much better condition g35. Good luck.
>>
>>15164491
Expensive as shit to maintain, but not as bad as an E60. Best M5 to date though, got the money? go for it.
>>
OP here...I purchased and e46 sedan, and have been learning to do my own work (changed out radiator, control arm bushings etc) so as long as it's not too electrical, I think I can handle it....I've always wanted that car (e39 M5) !!!
>>
>Pros
Ultimate driving machine

>Cons
You'll get raped in the ass by maintenance and repair costs
>>
>>15164510
OP here... how do I check that the chain guides have been serviced , before I buy???? The seller doesn't have any receipts !!! Car had 127k miles on it, no rust..it's the 2000 pre facelift....
>>
>>15166620
OP here....I have seen the e39 channel on YouTube and they do a good job of explaining repairs, so I should be able to do it myself...
>>
>>15167007
>...
What did he mean by this? ;^)
>>
>>15167031
OP here... don't make fun of my posting habits...
>>
>>15167041
Ok...no bully...;^)
>>
>>15167001
Only affirmative way is By pulling the valve covers and or the oil pan, which is about a 2 to 3hour job.

If you have a loud rattle on start up and loud whine during run they are bad, and need to be replaced asap.

Normal m62tub/S62 should have a muted rattle on start up and dieseling sound during idling.

I would almost bet they haven't been replaced tho, as its 3k job to have a shop do it.
>>
>>15164491
Cons
>BMW

Pros
>//M
>>
E39 source is the name.of a YouTube channel, dedicated 100% to the BMW E39 M5, with all types of step by step DIY videos in repairs and upgrades....most of the stuff seems doable...
>>
>>15167276
Ouch, that sounds like a lot of work. Just to check if they are good or not....:-/
>>
>>15167376
The noise alone will tell you if they're bad or not, and if you're truly intending to own one you'll have to change them at some point anyways.

Otherwise get a certified BMW mechanic to look the car over.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.