[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rust on Use Cars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 00o0o_8h7qYbTkmvG_600x450.jpg (48 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
00o0o_8h7qYbTkmvG_600x450.jpg
48 KB, 600x450
Hey /o/, I'm in the market to buy a used car. I have my eye on a '99 Jeep Cherokee Sport. It's got good miles and is in good shape except for this rust. I'm fine with the way it looks-- I was just wondering if there is a problem with this rust (from a non cosmetic point of view)
>>
>>15163922

You see, the problem with rust is that it's always the worst where you can't see it. If your door panels and rocker panels look like that, there is most likely a fuckfest of problems going on underneath.
>>
>>15163961
does rust actually cause mechanical problems though?
>>
>>15163922
>buying a used jeep that has lived it's life in snow and salty roads
Just flush the money you have saved up down the toilet OP.
>>
>>15164167

Rust doesn't effect the engine and transmission as they have aluminum casings and are tucked away, but it will effect your brakes, front end, suspension, exhaust, electrical and can rot away important supports.

If a lot of these things aren't an issue or have been replaced, it might be a good vehicle but I doubt it as easy to fix rust areas that have been neglected are a sure sign that it wasn't properly maintained.
>>
>>15164230
Is there truth to this? I honestly know very little about cars.
>>
>>15164283
Jeeps are notorious for rust. If you get one from a snowy state that uses a lot of salt on the road, chances are suspension and frame already have cancer, and it's only going to get worse. The first thing you should do when looking at a jeep, is get on your back and look underneath it with a flashlight.
>>
>>15164304
Yeah, the rust is a little concerning, but this jeep has only 120K miles on it for $2K. Maybe I've just been looking at overpriced jeeps, but it seems like a good deal.
>>
>>15163922
It's difficult to tell exactly what's going on here but it appears that there's perforating rust on the doors which is not really an issue with the strength of the vehicle but would add expense to repair if so inclined.

Of more concern is the apparent perforating rust on the rocker box below the doors. It appears to be in multiple locations and that means it probably has compromised the entire rocker box complex. This is a serious problem because the rocker boxes are main supporting elements of a unibody vehicle and will severely compromise the strength of the whole structure.

Also, if the body is that rusted every fastener on the thing will be impossible to remove which would make common mechanical repairs a nightmare every time.

tl;dr Run!
>>
>>15163922
I wouldn't get that. That is way to much rust for the rocker panels, I wouldn't want to see the fenders and under the carpet.
>>
Any reason you need a Jeep? For 2 grand you could get a fairly decent 200x Honda or Toyota that would have dirt cheap parts. Or you could just totally shaft yourself and get a 200x American vehicle.
>>
>>15166206
I want a Jeep because it gets very snowy where I live. Also looking at honda CRVs. Would those be a better choice?
>>
>>15168362
Just look under the car m8 my Cherokee was fairly rusty but it hasn't caused any problems working on it yet, Ive had much harder times working on my much less rusty 86 civic and my Cherokee is a '95 with 325k miles
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.