[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
need advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: mechanic.jpg (44 KB, 425x255) Image search: [Google]
mechanic.jpg
44 KB, 425x255
hey /o/ out of work mechanic here. whats better in your opinion, working at a dealership or at a independent shop? my last job was at a dealership but i quit because i was having problems with other employees and the new managers wanted all the old workers out to bring in their own too.

i applied to other dealerships for work again but no luck. i paid a old boss(who was forced into quitting from our old place) of mine a visit to work for him again but i havent heard back from him for 2 months already. he just told me wait for a phone call. i dont even want to call him to catch up because he is a crazy military veteran. my dads friends and some of my own even tell me dont work in a private shop because they rush you to fix a car and work about 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. i friend of mine hated it because he said he didnt have a life working that schedule. they tell me just specialize in one brand.

what do?
>>
File: 1463032612288.png (71 KB, 298x298) Image search: [Google]
1463032612288.png
71 KB, 298x298
>>15157850
dealership.
>>
Dealerships are all about the same, indy shops vary drastically. How good a dealership is to work at comes down to the service manager/shop foreman, the other techs don't affect your job too much. Small indy shops can be really good or really bad because everyone relies on eachother and any one person can change the environment a lot. Just pursue another career if you aren't in an area where you can pick and choose where you want to work imo.
>>
>>15157880
>Just pursue another career

i tried that and it didnt work out for me. i gotta stick with what i know

>>15157879
i'm thinking the same because of benefits, something which small shops don't give
>>
>>15157970
i work at honda and i came from walmart. its do able.
>>
>>15157970
Maybe move to another area then. If you are good and under 35 you should be able to work anywhere you want, the demand is very high for young competent techs, at least here in the Bay Area.
>>
File: 1464147321440.jpg (145 KB, 1200x799) Image search: [Google]
1464147321440.jpg
145 KB, 1200x799
>>15158010
ayyyy 510
>>
>>15157850
Start your own mobile mechanic business. Ive been doing it for 4 years and i dont think i could ever go back to a "normal" work environment
>>
>>15157850
Dealership, always. Better pay, better job safety, unless you're a lazy asshole.

Also what kind of problems did you have with other employees? If you're an assburger who can't get on good terms with people you'll have issues everywhere.
>>
>>15157970
get into aviation, get some loans and work part time. It's a very rewarding, safe and stable career.
>>
>>15159839
jealousy.i was the youngest guy there. the older guys in shitty positions (like washing cars) and older mechanics hated how i had a good head on my shoulder while they hated their life and wished how they could do things different when they were my age.

and the new managers/owners wanted old workers out to bring in their own. so they treated people like shit and the few they liked made sure to kiss their ass
>>
>>15157850
Have you considered repo work? Great money plus a sense of justice.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.