[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay /o/ I require your advice. Looking at Chevy's numbers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 53l_vortec_engine-300x300.jpg (23 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
53l_vortec_engine-300x300.jpg
23 KB, 300x300
Okay /o/ I require your advice.

Looking at Chevy's numbers with respect to the Vortech 5300 LM7.

Chevy says that the engine at the crank should be making 285 hp (213 kW) and 325 lb·ft (441 N·m). I am currently making 252 hp (187 kW) and 276 lb-ft (374 N-m) at the wheel.

I don't think I should be losing more than 30 hp in transmission loss for 4L60E into RWD right?

The other issue is the AFR at WoT is 15.6. Is that too much?

The engine is bone stock save for the heads, intake and exhaust which is 2.5 inch with a cat delete.

I got all this data from 3 separate dyno pulls and I could never make a 4th gear pull due to the trans always kicking down when I went for full throttle.

>tl;dr I'm losing power in my 5.3L and I don't know where its going.
>>
>>15152262
252 at the wheels seems fine for that
>>
>>15152276

The main issue that I cant quite get over is the AFR. Is that something I can fix with a tune?

Or am I going to need to purchase new bigger injectors and a fuel pump to get more punch out of this?
>>
252rwhp is about right.

a LS6 cam is a 39Hp gain in a 5.3 with a stock tune.
>>
>tfw LS1 fbody shits on stock 5.3 vortec s10

also drivetrain loss is real
>>
>>15152323

Should I go completely insane and drop the following in a daily driver?

LS3 or FAST intake manifold and a Comp cams Mother Thumpr cam? Or would that cam require a tune?
>>
>>15152262
sounds about right fuckstick

and yeah that would be lean
>>
>>15152704
the FAST intake is a HUGE waste of money.
it only gives you power in radical 500hp+ builds

LS6 cam and springs are cheap and won't adversely affect MPG or reliability.
that and or long tube headers.
>>
>>15152262
252 / 285 = .884 so 12% drivetrain loss which is absolutely normal

15.6 afr is Terribad especially at wot, it should be in the 12s
you should probably not do that until you fix it unless you want to snackbar your engine

5 bucks says the cat delete caused your afr to lean out because your ecu is tuned for that amount of restriction (and not being able to push out the exhaust fast enough) and when you removed the restriction the engine can exhale so much better and spit out any unburned fuel in the exhaust but the ecu doesn't know it but luckily its a gm so tuning and tuners should be cheap and plentiful so do that immediately
Tldr tune it unless you plan on upgrading some time soon
>>
>>15152262
that's normal drivetrain loss, as for the lean AFR I've heard that chevy tunes their engines to run lean in order to squeeze some more mpg's out of them. if it's the stock tune it should be fine, but if you start modding the motor with forced induction/big cam/headers, or basically anything that adds a significant amount of headers you'll need to put more fuel in it to stay safe
>>
File: civic vs camaro.jpg (41 KB, 593x519) Image search: [Google]
civic vs camaro.jpg
41 KB, 593x519
>5.3 liters
>250 whp

top kek

pushrods; not even once
>>
Autos tend to eat some power, diffs can too. Your whp is normal. As mileage goes up it will continue to get lower.

>>15153135

>the FAST intake is a HUGE waste of money.

This

>it only gives you power in radical 500hp+ builds

Not this, it's still a turd for what you'll pay. Pretty much any stock LS intake (especially the truck ones) flow better and are stronger. Stick with your stock one OP. Also cam will require a tune and hardened pushrods and better valvesprings, but a cam and some longtubes is the cheapest way to get bolt-on power.
>>
>>15153894
These stupid fucking images and benchracing have single handedly ruined /o/.
>>
File: rdgh.jpg (29 KB, 342x342) Image search: [Google]
rdgh.jpg
29 KB, 342x342
>>15153901
meme'd on faglord
>>
>>15152704
You should dump that slushbox.
>>
>>15154091
Yeah he should get a shitbox Miata instead right?
>>
>>15153897
>hardened pushrods
bad idea

weak pushrods are designed to bend before you break a valve.
$10 pushrod or $3000 engine.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.