[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buying a car from out of state
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
So I want to buy this car I found on cl from Indiana, this will just be a project car and something I drive for fun. Would it be a good idea to bolt on tags I pull from the junkyard, drive it uninsured, and just get a radar detector and hope I never get pulled over? Any other ideas? Pic semi-related
>>
>>15150042

No.

Dumbass.

Just buy it and explain it to a cop and show him the bill of sale if asked.
>>
>>15150042
>Would it be a good idea to bolt on tags I pull from the junkyard, drive it uninsured, and just get a radar detector and hope I never get pulled over?

No, that's a terrible idea. You could be looking at jail time for doing that shit.

Just follow the proper procedures for transferring the registration to your name in your state, get the correct license tags, and just get the minimum liability coverage required.
>>
>>15150042
Sure is summer in here.
Do it OP
>>
>>15150060
I ain't no bitch
>>
>>15150065
You will be once you get arrested.
>>
>>15150065

Tell that to the niggers in prison bitch brain.
>>
>>15150060
But let me ask you this, so I live with my parents since I'm home from Uni, and I don't want them knowing I'm getting this car so I'm keeping it at a buddy's house. Is it possible to register and insure this vehicle without them knowing?
>>
I bought a car in Indy on april 1st. I put my last car's plate on it which was totalled and surrendered to the state as part of my insurance settlement. So while the plate looks valid I'm sure it probably isn't

But I have registration, insurance cards, and records from my insurance company showing that the plates were legit from my old car. And my new car's title doesn't have the date of sale listed yet. So if I get pulled over I'm gonna just say I bought the car less than 30 days ago (you can legally use your old plate on your new car for 30 days in indiana)

Parking control here has some highly gay new shit where they just drive up and down the street and their cars read the plates and if any are flagged with unpaid tickets, expired registration, even warrants, they know right away. I haven't gotten ticketed so my old plate might still be properly valid

tl;dr just print a bill of sale from the DMV website and keep the title on hand so you can show that you just bought it and couldn't have registered it yet
>>
>>15150075
you will have to open a new insurance policy yourself

your rates will be shit because you are in the least insurable demographic

but your mom won't know

just go to the DMV with your title, have it titled and registered in your name with your uni mailing address and you're stealth mode
>>
>>15150080
>>15150086
I like how you think
>>
>breaking federal law
>to illegally drive some clapped out shitbox ricer

kill

your

self
>>
>>15150042
I've done this a few times OP. Take plates from your current car and bolt them on, DO NOT USE JUNKYARD EXPIRED PLATES. If you don't have any current plates just don't put one on at all, if you get pulled over just show them bill of sale/title and explain the situation, they're not gonna give you shit. But if you're reeeeally worried about doing things by the book you can buy a 48hr plate from the DMV, they make them specifically for these situations. I literally just got back from a 300 mile trip to pick up a car, used my mr2's plates to get it back here. Got pulled halfway through, just showed him bill of sale and he sent me on my way. In my state at least it's legal to use tags from your old car as 60 day tags as long as they're still current. But in my opinion, get it insured before you drive home. Takes literally 10 mins to do and you get instant email proof
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.