[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /o/ feel about used tires?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
Are they a bad idea?
>>
If they are used with some tread left, then sure. I'm talking like 75% or more left

If not what I said, buy new
>>
>>15141376
Is there any truth to used tires being potentially dangerous?
>>
>>15141431

Is there any truth to used cars being potentially dangerous?
>>
>>15141301
It really depends on a ton of factors.

First, are you too poor to buy $40 General brand tires?

Used snow tires would be a great deal especially if they come mounted on wheels.

I would avoid buying unmounted used tires. They are rarely a good deal and you will need to spend money mounting them

Buying used wheels and tires off craiglist is usually a good thing, if they are priced well.
>>
>>15141301
I usually buy tires new, they last me long enough that it justifies the price
>>
I have purchased and ran many sets of tires from Craigslist.

Condition of the tire has little to do with where it came from

There is good, and there is shit.

It takes a buyer who's conscious to know the difference, which is probably why were discussing origin like it affects the tire.

Trash is trash, quality is quality, Chinese shit is shit and you gotta pay to play.
>>
File: 1422991332273.gif (473 KB, 297x212) Image search: [Google]
1422991332273.gif
473 KB, 297x212
>>15141657
>He doesn't mount and balance his own tires
>>
As with all car-related purchases, you get what you pay for
>>
>>15141301
Local tire place around here sells and mounts used tires for like $25 a piece that are in good condition with lots of tread left. Not a bad deal at all if you're poor and just need a tire or two on your daily driver to get you back and forth to work.
>>
>>15141301
i get wheels + tires cheaper than new tires at the junkyard. most of the time they are also balanced
>>
never jew out on your safety OP, just buy a set of good new tyres and be happy knowing they won't blow out on a mountain hairpin corner
>>
>>15141301
They're shit. If you can't afford new tires you can't afford your car and don't deserve to drive.
>>
>>15141301
Started buying used for my drifter and now it's all I buy, even for my daily.
>>
>>15141301
>Are they a bad idea?

They're fine as long as you can inspect them. But remember it costs money to mount AND balance them and you have to figure that into the price if you are comparing them to new tires which come with mounting and balancing for free.

The problem with buying used UNmounted tires is that you cannot see tire bulges which appear after you inflate them.
>>
>>15141431
Tire wear is generally a pretty accurate indicator of its condition. If it has tread, isnt showing chords and there are no cracks, its a good tire
>>
i buy used tires from my mechanic who buys wrecks at auction

they're often basically new and always a great deal
>>
>>15141732
And what if they need a car to get to work? Quitting a job sure as shit isn't going to help their financial situation.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.