[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Programming High Mileage Vehicles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 159-40410-1.jpg (24 KB, 300x267) Image search: [Google]
159-40410-1.jpg
24 KB, 300x267
New to /o/ and hate asking advice on 4chan but kind of out of options.

I have a truck with 189000 miles on it and spent $460 on a programmer. I don't want to completely overhaul the engine but I'd like a little more performance out of it. Would doing this completely Fuck the engine? Or would it likely blow before I reach 200000?

I never 'redline' but sometimes get it up to 5000rpm (out of 7000). Would doing this with a tuned engine destroy my engine faster?

I'm ultimately looking for better gas mileage, more horsepower, and better towing capabilities. The truck is a 2005 F150 lariot edition with a 5.4 v8

>inb4usingprogrammerongasengine
Well when you have disposable income you buy stupid Shit like this
>>
>>15140955
enjoy blowing your engine
>>
>>15140955
>I'm ultimately looking for better gas mileage, more horsepower, and better towing capabilities.

Look you have a gas engine, tunes (especially canned tunes) for gas engines really dont do much more than MAYBE add 10-15 HP if you set the engine to run 93 octane.

I dont know if you an tune your transmission but an automatic can be made to shift harder and faster for better acceleration.

I had a 2013 mustang and a 93 octane tune and trans tune had my 0-60 drop .2 seconds.

Really, the only trucks that can fully utilize a tune and get "real" gains are diesels. They can gain 50-150 HP depending and loads more torque because "muh turbo".

Unless you've got a popular sports car or a diesel truck, theres no way its worth $500 to tune it.
>>
>>15140955
>Would doing this with a tuned engine destroy my engine faster?

running any engine outside of its designed parameters while making more power is generally going to load to faster wear.

Of course the tunes are go for what? 10 hp? probably wont be an issue overall because its basically nothing.

When you start tuning turbos and make real power is where you run into reliability issues.
>>
>>15141004
I have a 7.3 and tuned it for towing 10,00-15,000 pound loads better and only bad thing I noticed was the transmission gets very hot very quick.

As for gas engines, I only want to change the shift firmness and possibly set a rev limiter at 5000 to make damn sure I don't instantly blow something up.
>>
>>15140955
Do you happen to be driving a 90's Dodge with half of it primered.
>>
>>15140955
>189k miles
This is usually never a good idea. If you have disposable income you're better off upgrading your old engine parts.
>>
>>15140955
Maybe it says 7000 on the tach but being a 5.4 the redline is probably 5000.

No a shitty obd2 diablosport or sct isn't going to ruin your engine. The 5.4 is a very low output engine so itll be like throwing a tune on a viper, the longevity want be impacted by any significant amount
>>
>>15141131
>The 5.4 is a very low output engine

kek, no the 5.0 in my explorer with 215 stock hp is a "very low" output engine.
>>
My 5.4 will only get to 5800ish before limiter and like 5200 in drive.
It's only a 2v though.
They are shit engines, you're not going to make it better.

I'd say go for it, it's probably a placebo anyway and it sounds like you already have the thing in hand.

But what you really want is weight savings. That can improve everything you want for free.
>>
>>15141106
I was considering this also. What would anon recommend doing to increase longevity of my shitty 5.4?
>>
>>15141170
7.3 swap
>>
>>15141004
>When you start tuning turbos and make real power is where you run into reliability issues.

If you're tuning cars before selling them, then the tune might improve the test drive enough to get the unwitting buyer to close the deal. Tuning would pay off then. The seller doesn't care about the buyers' problems since all he wants is to sell the cars more easily with a temporary boost.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.