[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can auto repair shops fuck with your car to bring you back?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7
I took mine in for an oil change, next morning flat tire. Could they have let the air out on purpose to bring me back and try to rip me off?

I'm a depressed shut-in and car illiterate.
>>
>>15112485
Why would you go back to a repair shop with a flat instead of going to a tyre shop?
>>
>>15112485
Sounds like you need a bus pass and not a car.
>>
They would have done something to your engine not your tires

You most likely just got a nail in your tire
>>
Coincidences happen faggot. It's also possible the tire could have been punctured by debris on the shop floor unintentionally. Either way, they didn't do it on purpose and certainly aren't going to tell you if they did. Just go to a real tire place.
>>
File: 1436602821436.gif (1 MB, 251x190) Image search: [Google]
1436602821436.gif
1 MB, 251x190
>>15112485
It's a possibility.

Found two things not completely put together in my car twice. The 2nd time my mom had to pick up my car while I was at work, I would have called him out on a noise that was not supposed to be heard.
>*cough* Oil return line not connected, *cough*
>>
Learn to work on the car yourself. The fact that you had to go to a shop for an oil change is kind of pathetic.
>>
>>15112688
shut the fuck up, it costs just as much to buy the shit to do it yourself, the only reason to do oil changes at home anymore is to be a try-hard and impress your Facebook friends
>>
>>15113115
A bucket and some oil.
>>
>>15113115
No, it doesn't.

If it does, you're taking your car to a place so shit they use fram filters that have been sitting in the back of a warehouse for 20 years and the cheapest oil possible mixed 50/50 with used shit.
>>
>>15113115
Literally a bucket and some oil, maybe a filter, maybe a filter wrench

If you're okay with being a massive demasculated cuck who can't perform even basic service on your vehicle then you should probably just go get your balls lopped off and take the eunuch pill that you deserve you flatulent manpimple
>>
The less time your car spends in the shop and you spend in the hospital the better for similar reasons.
>>
>>15113115
youre adorable when you get mad and spout bullsht you have no idea about
>>
>>15113115
local shop
>19.99 oil change
>sounds reasonable
>oh mr. anon we noticed your air filter is dirty. we'll replace it for for 20 dollars.
>no ty
>oh mr anon we noticed your wiper fluid is a little low. we'll top it off for 5 dollars.
>no ty
>oh mr. anon we noticed (insert more up selling bs here)
>car is finally done
>alright mr anon you own us 55.36
>WAT Y!?
>look at itemized receipt
>$19.99 for oil and filter.
>$15 labor fee. $10 per hr labor fee. 1.5hrs spent. (to include 30min break)
>$2.15 for shop consumables. Rags and paper on your floor mats.
>$10 super saver inspection fee.
>$8.22 state oil disposal fee.
>grow a pair and tell them to fuck off on the inspection fee but shop stands firm on the rest.

TOTAL
>$45.36

DIY
>$15.96 for oil
>$4.99 for oil filter
>optional
>$6.47 for beer (6 pak)

NEVER DONE A OIL CHANGE IN LIFE AND ALL MY FRIENDS ARE THE SAME AS ME KIT
>$3.29 for drain pan (free if you're creative)
>$4.99 clamping oil filter wrench (free if you don't have the grip of a child)
>$4.99 for an adjustable wrench

TOTALS
>$20.95 just oil things (saving 24.41)
>$27.42 oil and chill (saving 17.94)
>$34.22 Baby's first oil change (saving 11.14)
>$32.41 Resourceful baby's first oil change that deserves a beer. (saving 12.95)

**estimates based on local pricing for generic early 2000's shit box
>>
>>15113115
Then you have threads like this were you're worried about mechanics ducking with your car. If you do it yourself you know you used the right oil, filter and gasket and you know it's torqued correctly.
>>
>>15114539
I make $25/hour. You didn't account for my lost wages by doing it myself instead of having someone else do it.
>>
>>15115105
so add an extra $2.50?
>>
>>15115105
>Lost wages
>Not doing it on your day off
>>
>>15115105
So you're paid hourly 24/7? fuck off
>>
>>15112485
>I'm a depressed shut-in and car illiterate.

It is most likely a coincidence. Your treads picked up a nail or screw. Ironically, it could have been that same shop being sloppy and having screws on the floor.

Some shops patch or plug flat tires for free as a sign of goodwill in hopes that you will use them in the future. My local Les Schwab chain fixes tires for free even if you didn't buy them there, so I assume the other stores do that too. But you can check of course by calling them to see how much they charge to patch a flat tire. My local Sam's Club will patch a flat tire if you are a member and does it even for tires that were not sold there. I was told it was part of their member service. I assume if my local Sam's Club does that, then your local one (if it has a tire and battery garage attached) will do it too.

As for flats, I had two flats in one week. That was because there was a construction project and the construction workers there must have been blowing off steam by shooting nails and staples into the roadway to give flat tires (possibly to many dozens of cars). And no, that road is unavoidable.

The dollar store has oil change items. The clamp tool to remove the oil filter if the filter is still hot. The plastic big and wide shallow bucket to catch the oil and it even has a angled lip to help you pour the oil out into the oil container assuming you save the big jug or small bottles the oil came in.

5 quart containers (aka jug) of oil at wal-mart is $15 for conventional to $28.99 for synthetic. That's probably the lowest-priced source for 5 quart jugs. They also sell filters at a good price.

What stops me from doing my own oil change is my car only has 7 inches clearance and I don't have extra tall ramps. I am "spoiled" and refuse to wiggle under the car scratching by back on the ground. So I would want to lie on a sled and slide under. But that means the car has to be really high up in the air with ramps.
>>
>>15115105
>I make $25/hour. You didn't account for my lost wages by doing it myself instead of having someone else do it.

You do not work 24/7 every day out of the year. You are doing this maintenance on your time off. I do know of some people that value their time 24/7 based on their work salary and those are terrible people to associate with. They are all about "how are you useful to me" in any type of acquaintanceship and they seek to have a pool of friends in order to treat them as resources.
>>
Flat repairs aren't worth shit nobody gets paid enough to fuck with your tires.
>>
>>15115105
>Lose 30 minutes doing it in your driveway
>Spend anywhere from 1-3 hours driving to and waiting in line and driving home to have someone do it hoping they don't royally fuck it up (they will)
Yeah totally so much better. Also who the fuck changes their oil while at work aside from people who work at auto shops? Do it afterwards retard.
>>
>>15115105
Then don't complain retard
>>
>>15115105
I spend about 3 minutes of actual work changing the oil in my truck. 10 minutes is just waiting for it to drain
>>
>>15118403
pretty much this..

Local tire shop around here does plugs for $5 and patches (as in take wheel off car, take tire off wheel, apply patch on inside surface of tire, put tire back on wheel, mount wheel back on car) for like $10, they're not making shit fixing flats; they're hoping that you'll come back to them the next time you need to buy new tires.
>>
>>15113147
What do you mean maybe a filter?
>>
>>15115105

I bet the time you spent driving to the service place is longer than the time it takes to do the whole job.
>>
OP needs to realise that working on their own car prevent anyone else from fucking with it. Purchase a workshop manual for your model and man up. The simplest tools are used the most.
>>
>>15119379
>get haynes manual
>covers my model car for about 10 years prior and a few years after
>half the pictures dont apply to my car
>most of the book is spent on the old model engine because it was a carbed piece of shit
some stuff like major engine overhaul was detailed and helpful but simpler stuff like changing brakepads and filters was skimmed over
plus the book was for a LHD car and mine is RHD
>>
File: trurot.jpg (135 KB, 736x552) Image search: [Google]
trurot.jpg
135 KB, 736x552
ex DSM owner here.

I used to change the oil on my AWD Laser during the summer months, but in the winter I took it to an Acura dealer.

Why? My parents take their TSX there for service. Well, I take it in for them. One time they fucked up hard. Car had locking lug nuts on it, I guess they were trying to do a checkup on brakes, and remove the wheels. Somehow the retards removed the 4 lug nuts, but could not get the 5th locking one off even though it was a Honda brand, and they have a universal tool for it.
Picked up car, drove it half way home with ONE lug nut holding one of the wheels on. Noticed the car was wobbling some. Pulled over, found the problem. Fuckers couldnt get the wheel off, and then somehow forgot to install the lug nuts back in.
Called the dealer, had them come tow the car back, and reinstall the lug nuts.
I came down on the service manger like no other. Called the Acura regional service line too, and had them bring down fire on the dealership. In the end I got them to give me a free timing belt job (minus parts), and $200 credit in service for future work. Timing kit was like $350, and $600+ worth of free labor. Saved me the trouble fucking with that goddamn crank bolt.

Soo, I started to take my Laser there for an oil change since my dad cosigned, and it was under his name. All I did was provide the filter.

That an Acura's dealership is very nice. Huge 50" TV, leather couches, car mags, nice coffee maker.

Anyway, sometimes its worth the $50 or so bucks to take your car to a NICE dealer and sit on your ass in comfort rather than deal with the cold weather, or nasty underside of your car.
>>
>>15119519
>Haynes
>HAYNES
see that's where you fucked up. Get a Helms or Chiltons. Or better yet google the manufacturer repair manual for your car. I have both a Haynes and the official repair manual, both are handy but the official one is much more in-depth.
>>
I'm a newfag when it comes to cars, about to buy my first soon hopefully. And I heard I should change the oil after I buy it? Why is that so and should I attempt to do it myself?
>>
Why is it flat? Ask them why they didn't notice it had a defect.
>>
>>15114539
How'd you get your car in the air?
>>
>>15115203
>>15115261
>>15115130
>>15118427
>>15118736
You guys must be on welfare. If you make 25/hr that's a baseline for what your time is worth. Why waste that time lifting a car, getting dirty, having to deal with disposing of old oil and filter, when you can just let someone else do it and fuckoff for whatever amount of time it takes?

I work in a shop and hardly change my own oil. Why would you be proud of being able to do such a menial fucking job?
>>
File: montana.jpg (396 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
montana.jpg
396 KB, 1024x768
>>15112485

this sounds like everyone else at the garage i work at, "you changed my oil last week now my sunroof wont open"

get a spray bottle, fill it with water, put some dish soap in it, shake it, spray the mixture on your tire with the tire filled with air. whole tire. if it bubbles from the tread, theres a hole or a nail, sidewall damage the tires fucked, if it bubbles where the rim meets the tire the rim needs to be cleaned. if nothing bubbles, they let the air out. but i highly highly doubt that

>>15122657

you dont need to put most cars in the air to change the oil, all 4 of my vehicles (Toyota Crown, Toyota Supra, Chevy Silverado, Toyota Hilux) i can change on the ground as is. Supra and Crown suck to crawl under but i still do it

even my girlfriends Toyota Aristo and Honda Civic i can change it without being on the air, Civic you have to bend your arm over the intake manifold to get the filter from the top but its doable
>>
>>15113115
Found the cuck.
>>
>>15121688
in my manual it says i can visit an authorised dealer to get a really detailed guide book for my car
car was 20 yrs old last april so chances of them still having a manual in stock is 0
>>
>>15122675
I make around $43 per hour, i have no problems with working on my car on my days off. I actually enjoy doing it
>>
>>15123346
My car was 26 years old this year and I was still able to find the official manual online. Sure it's a pdf but it's still better than nothing.
>>
I swear they did this every time I went in. Must have been the most fucking biggest coincidences in the fucking world but each time I went, something new came up
>>
>>15112485
>taking your car to another man for an oil change
could be time to learn to ride a bicycle then, amerifat
>>
>>15122675
Because ill take the time do it correctly. Everytime. Ill look around when im under there too. Give everything a quick once over. Make sure nothing is broken loose or otherwise fucked.
>>
>>15122721
>rim
Cars have wheels and tires buddy
Keep your early 2000's nigger speak to yourself
>>
File: 1228621115468.jpg (19 KB, 297x350) Image search: [Google]
1228621115468.jpg
19 KB, 297x350
>>15123691
brilliant i spent 15 bucks for a second hand haynes manual when i could have downloaded a pdf
>>
>>15121898
Ask the person who your buying the car from when they last changed the oil/filter. It is usually worth changing it anyway, but still worth asking. If they don't know then check the servicing record on the vehicle.
It's likely if your getting a second hand car then the person your buying it from probably wont change the oil frequently enough, which is essential to your engines functioning.

It's not difficult to change the oil or filter, but it is ideally worth asking another man you trust to know what they are doing to teach you the first time around. Also helps because then you can borrow their ramps or pit in future.
>>
>>15114539
>strips/rounds the sump plug
>doesnt know what to do
>forces wrong thread bolt in
>leaks
>still dont know what to do
>take to a mechanic
>$238.54 + $20 faggot tax for trying to jew the system
>>
>>15124769
well that would be his fucking problem for being a complete retard.
>>
>>15122657
Most stock cars have plenty of room to get under and pull a drain plug and filter w/o a jack. Hell I've got a sizeable beer gut and I can fit under my 02 wrx with room to get cumfy.

Now if you slammed the dumb thing to oblivion and can barely get a finger under the car then congrats. No legitimate shop will ever touch your car unless you go to Angel's fly by night shop out of his garage.
>>
>>15124769
Being dum is a luxury. If you can fuck up that bad on something that easy then I hope you have the money for said luxury.
>>
File: 20160523_234459.jpg (286 KB, 1160x700) Image search: [Google]
20160523_234459.jpg
286 KB, 1160x700
>>15113115
this is undeniably false, but here's your (you).

pic related is for a ford focus.
>idle air control valve for OEM was $46
>engine/tranny mounts were $45 for all 3
>PCV hose was $12, PCV valve was $20~
>valve cover gasket was $30
>intake gasket was $11

ordered everything and putting it in piece by piece.
>tfw your $800 in repairs get knocked down to $300 because you're not a busrider
>>
>>15122657
Fuck off, I can crawl under my lowered Miata just fine. If you're too obese to fit, get the scissor jack from your trunk, jack the car up, and take your life into your hands.
>>
>>15118352
if your never going to go under the car why'd you get ramps. seems like a poor investment :/
>>
>>15125045
pics or bullshit
>>
>>15122675
Business owner here.

You're dumb. I do everything I can to keep from having to pay someone else any money. You're going to be poor some day with that logic.
>>
>>15123750
wat
>>
>>15112485
>Could they have let the air out on purpose to bring me back and try to rip me off?
You would have noticed on the drive home
>>
>>15125158
Pretty much.
>>
File: 20151007_190257.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151007_190257.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
I love these threads.
>have 1974 shitbox
>holds 3.5 qts. of 20w50
>obscure oil so can be found cheaply even name brand
>zinc even in such oils
>use genuine OEM oil filter, bros with the parts guys (they love my shitbox) for like $4
>hyperlube additive for valve ticking (0.010" valve lash spec)

All and all its under $20 granted I buy hyperlube once every 4 oil changes
>>
>>15113115
>the only reason to do oil changes at home anymore is to be a try-hard and impress your Facebook friends
Wait, is changing oil brag worthy?
What's next?
>I'm so skill much many skills, I change old fuel for new fuel in car, don't need mechanic for fuel, no more, I'm skill, much learned.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.