[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rate my piston ring grinder
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: DSC_0823.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0823.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
Rate my piston ring grinder
>>
5/7
>>
>>15100882
Tbqh I've never had to gap a ring, it's always been in spec.
>>
For what reason would one give the ring a bigger gap?
>>
>>15101315
Usually they are a little to large in order to compensate for cylinder wear if needed
>>
Custom rings are not that much money and worth the peace of mind... I think I paid $90 total shipped for mine.
>>
>>15101377
you should always gap your rings if new ones are put in. Some manufacturers require larger gaps because when they reach operating temperature the metal expands and you will want that gap to let the metal expand into. If your gaps are to tight your rings will put excessive pressure on the cylinder walls and wear them out very quickly
>>
>>15101389

Ic ic, thx.
>>
>>15101396
also if your ring gap is to large/ grinded to much or wrong size your rings will have to big a gap when expanded and that leads to oil consumption, lack of cylinder pressure and that pressure escapes into your crankcase and pressurizes it leading to more strain on seals and so on
>>
>>15101433

Is there a precise gap measure mentioned somewhere in the engine specifications? Can't recall seeing any.
>>
>>15101468
Every car manufacturer has specifcations for how much end gap you can have, how much play thats allowed in the crank and how much bearing clearance there can be at the crank/rods etc. They specify a maximum value and a minimum value, you always want to be somewhere in the middle ofc. For this project i used haynes manual as reference
>>
>>15101494
>haynes
its fucked mate
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.