[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My friend bought a 300zx. He's test driven it once and I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: 20160325_165313.jpg (1 MB, 2576x1932) Image search: [Google]
20160325_165313.jpg
1 MB, 2576x1932
My friend bought a 300zx. He's test driven it once and I'm going with him to pick it up.

What kind of problems should be expected from this car?
>>
is it N/A?
>>
>>15095516
that's a cute parakeet
>>
The timing belt is famous for going horribly wrong. Cant think of any other issues notorious enough to be general knowledge, except for the N/A's having the problem of being a slow turd.
>>
>>15095530
I have no idea. I don't know if he's taken it to a mechanic either and he has no mechanical knowledge
>>
>>15095547

your friend is in for a ride
>>
File: 20160325_165420.jpg (1 MB, 2576x1932) Image search: [Google]
20160325_165420.jpg
1 MB, 2576x1932
>>15095544
So it's a solid car mechanically?
Do they have rust problems like the 240?
>>
>>15095516
>cramped as fuck engine bay
>no fucking space to pull maintain or replace anything
>whole car requires an engine pull to replace anything or to perform routine maintinence other than an oil change

god speed OP's friend
>>
>>15095555
How do you keep him from flying away with wing feathers taking him between the house and your car?

Nice quads btw
>>
File: 20160325_164612.jpg (2 MB, 2576x1932) Image search: [Google]
20160325_164612.jpg
2 MB, 2576x1932
>>15095571
The thing just flew into my work van one day while I was parked. Actually no, it landed on the wipers, flew to the wing mirrors, I wound down the window and it flew inside.

Are they usually this docile?
>>
>>15095555
I dont think so. Maybe the Z31 does, seeings how it is a Japanese car form the 80's, but from what I've seen they're nowhere near as bad as the 240.
>>
>>15095591
Really? That's surprising. And adorable.

It might have been somebody's pet that they let loose by accident. Where do you live?
>>
File: in-out.gif (2 MB, 331x351) Image search: [Google]
in-out.gif
2 MB, 331x351
>>15095516
The engine bay is tighter than a nun's nasty with 4 cucumbers stuffed up it
They shit starter motors every 60,000k with staggering accuracy
They don't like stock radiators and overheat

Aside from that it's as old as balls so expect shit to be worn out and spares are generally pricey- not euro expensive but there's a few bits on them which aren't shared by other nissan platforms and will get scarce.
>>
File: 20160325_164733.jpg (1 MB, 2576x1932) Image search: [Google]
20160325_164733.jpg
1 MB, 2576x1932
>>15095760
I live in Auckland New Zealand
>>
>>15095896
He might have been a native then, but even so flying inside your car is oddly docile behavior. He's definitely not a baby either because he has no bars on his head feathers.

It might have been a pet. Did you see a ring on its leg?
>>
>>15095591
Budgies are pretty docile, known a few people that raised them from bubs and they basically think they're human.
Its a boy by the way if you want to name him
>>
sup, I own a 300zx n/a and can answer some questions if you want if your friend's car isn't a TT.

Basically what everyone else in this thread said, the engine bay is tight as shit, and any job that simple on another vehicle is a huge pain in the ass unless you have really small hands to get into all the cracks and whatnot. Obviously check the car for rust but I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you live somewhere where most cars rust. You have to remember that 300zx's are all pretty much 20+ years old now, so they'll have whatever issues other 20+ year old cars usually do. Brittle/cracked/leaking hoses, broken plastic/rubber, etc. These cars are especially famous for the fuel lines leaking, so make sure to go through all of them and check to make sure they're stable if you smell any fuel. Even if you don't I'd be extra safe and change all the lines out, get a new fuel damper/regulator, and change the fuel hose clamps to the GTR-style self-tightening ones so you don't have to open the hood every few months and retighten the screw style clamps by hand. Change the timing belt if it hasn't been done too. Once you get all the maintenance out of the way the car will be pretty reliable, it's not bulletproof like a lot of japanese cars from the same era but if you fix everything broken and stay on top of just general maintenance it shouldn't give you any troubles.

While it might be slightly more expensive it's worth finding a mechanic that specializes in Z cars. I know a lot of shops in my area refuse to work on them due to how much of a pain in the ass they are to service, and the bigger of the two Z shops in my area actually said that their owner / lead mechanic is tired on working on 300zxs and only deals with 240/280/350/370z.

Overall though, it's a great car and he should have fun with it, even if it's a pigfat N/A turd like mine.
>>
>>15095516

What kinds of mechanical problems can he expect from a 20+ year old probably beaten the fuck out of 300zx?

Alot.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.