[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, /o/, I just started driving manual the other day, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1459435252957.jpg (137 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1459435252957.jpg
137 KB, 960x960
Hello, /o/, I just started driving manual the other day, and I've pretty much got enough of a grasp on it to get around, but I had some questions. When shifting, it sometimes feels like there's a block when I want to shift into a gear. In addition, sometimes when I shift, it seems to hesitate before grabbing, which I assume is the synchros. Also, last night, first started making a grinding noise when I granny shifted into it going around a corner. The car is still under warranty, so should I take it into a dealer? Or am I just bad at it still?

>Pic unrelated
>>
You don't just jam it into gear. Synchromesh is not for fast shifting.

You gently knock it into gear, and get used to the car until you can match the rpm, gear, and road speed reasonably well.

protip: shift at higher RPMs. worse on gas, easier to shift smoothly.
>>
>>15084189
I don't necessarily feel like I'm slamming it, it's usually pretty leisurely, but it just feels like if I don't put pressure on it, it won't shift. Also, pardon my lack of knowledge in the exact mechanics, but if the clutch is disengaged, isnt the motor disconnected from the transmission entirely? How do higher rpms help shift smoothly?
>>
>>15084263
replace shift cables?
drain/refill tranny?
maybe tranny user actually borked?
>>
>>15084189
You can slam hondas
>>
>>15084129
The block is the input and output shafts spinning at wildly different speeds, the synchros aren't going to let you into gear until they've equalized.
>granny shifted
what
>>
>>15085347
You can slam anything but that doesn't mean it's good for the tranny.
>>
>>15085353
Isn't that a F&F term for not double clutching?
>>
>>15085460
I just took it to mean shifting slowly into a low gear at low speed
>>
>>15085460
Please do not ever quote fast and furious in a serious manner ever again. If you're still learning the basics, don't bother with worrying about doubl
>>
>>15085613
This guy granny shifted and died mid post, always quit f&f as it will keep you alive, OP. Also draft under every semi for hours to save gas and do not turn without being sideways.
>>
>>15085635
But if he died before he could complete his sentence, how'd he solve the captcha? 2spooky4me
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.