[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need help and info
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
Okay so I am a 21 year old with no credit yet, $2000 bucks saved up at the moment, a steady job that pays roughly 300 a week give or take and i do side jobs that makes it to where I get roughly 500 a week altogether. My Mom is going to let me be under her name for insurance but I'm so inexperienced when it comes to buying a car. I want a Dodge dakota and theres nothing on craigslist or anywhere that I can find that I can get a really nice 4wd dakota for about what I have at the moment but there are used car dealerships..Could someone tell me what to expect? Will I be able to put 2k down and make payments on a truck thats roughly 5k-7k? Do I need to go through my bank and get a loan and pay them back or will I be able to just pay the dealership? Basically walk me through all the necessary things I'm gonna have to do because I'm so clueless and theres so many different things I'm seeing on the internet that I don't know what to expect or what I should look to do right now. Also what are some tips going into this process?
>>
>>15080844
No no no no no.

What do you drive now? Why are you wanting to buy something?
>>
A lot depends on your credit score
>>
>>15080844
They won't loan to you regardless because you're too young with no credit. You'll need a cosigner.

I'd just buy a 1500 dollar truck and call it a day. Everyone wants to get stuck with loans early these days. Also, why a Dakota? Why not a Tacoma, d21, ranger?
>>
>>15080844
>300 a week
shit i got more than that packing boxes
>>
>>15080889
Not op , but he probably wants a v8
>>
That truck might not be the best idea for a first car.

Get something cheap and reliable with the cash you have. Maybe look into a Cherokee, decent ones can be found for $2000. Keep up with oil changes and maintenance for a year or two while you learn to wrench. All the while, keep an eye on craigs for the truck you really want and research, research, research -- common problems, how hard various repairs are, etc.

The dealership will finance you probably if you ask, but I don't think that's the best way to go. A car with a lower average market price in good condition is a way better option than a car with a higher average market price in fair condition, and will often cost you less, if that makes sense.
>>
>>15080844
Okay bro, this is come from someone who had a Dakota for 5 years.

Don't. The only reason to get a Dakota (at least older models, 95-04) is for the magnum v8's they put in them. They severely neutered them after they switched over. Even then, these guys are a pain. Rocker panels rust to shit quick, they eat ball joints, and when the bearings go, gg on having to replace the WHOLE assembly. Not to mention the struts go to shit if you decide to lift.

Don't get me started on the transmission issues. For some reason, all Dodge did with these is take the trannies from the 50's, add an o/d unit and slap an electric torque converter. The Magnum engines are too much for it.

They're best used as mud trucks. Their frames are incredibly durable and the engines don't break often, but god, as a DD it's pretty mediocre.
>>
>>15080889
The Dakota is desirable because it fits between a light truck and a full size. Those v8 magnums can really fucking drink tho so might as well just get a full sized truck if a v8 is desired
>>
>>15080936
Yea I overlooked that. Older Dakotas were much smaller, weren't they? Like frontier sized?
>>
>>15080844
OP figured out how much of a dumbass he was and has an heroed.
>>
Are Dakotas reliable? Okay, so you have 2 grand, and make a *steady* 300 a week. Ask yourself

>can I afford a monthly car/insurance payment?
>after normal expenses, would I be able to afford to fix the car when something breaks?

Personally, I'd try and find something for 4 grand, and I wouldn't get a Dakota (not for any other reason but bc it's a Dodge and I'm not familiar on how reliable they are, do your research)

Anyway, if you're really set on this, forget about going through a dealer. You'll most likely need your parent to cosign a loan. My advice, go through a credit union and apply for a car loan. They'll give you a limit, and I suggest you spend $500 less then the car loans worth, to service the transmission, differentials, transfer case.
>>
>>15080968
First gen(87-96) were smaller yes. I believe they also had a v8 then too.

I never really liked the way small trucks like the ranger and dakota feel(just too small) so the dakota always seemed like a good compromise. if I didn't need the higher towing capacity I'd probably Have owned one at some point but again the fuel economy is a real turn off
>>
>>15080844
What to expect if you walk into a stealership with what you've laid out:

"We can't get you financed without a co-signer."

The co-signer for all intents and purposes is the actual buyer of the vehicle. If mom agrees to buy this truck for you, regardless of good credit or not, she will get a higher interest rate loan because trucks in 5k to 7k range are older. Older the vehicle, higher the risk to the bank, higher the interest rate.

It's not a matter of can you afford to fix the stuff that will break on an older Dakota, along with that payment, gas, maintenance, and insurance, because technically you can if you spend all your money on it... it's the question of do you want to? Can't answer that for you. Only you can know what you're willing to give up in other aspects of your life to "afford" the truck.

A few pointers from someone double your age and a lot of fuckups under his belt:

>if you need a co-signer, you can't afford it
>don't finance a vehicle that's worth less than 10k
>don't finance a vehicle when you have no or shit credit
>don't get into debt when you're still living at home

All lessons learned the hard way. Not meant to talk down to you, just trying to pass on some hard earned wisdom.
>>
>financing
i have a hard time believing anyone could be so stupid
>>
Didn't an hero lol just dozed off for a bit, anyways you guys pretty much talked me out of financing and what not and going to a dealership. Looks like I'll be sticking to what I can get for what I have now. Its not so much that I was set in what I want but I figured if I said "hey this is what I'd like" and then went from there I'd be able to get more answers. Also, >>15081379 I'll make sure I remember those lessons
>>
>>15080844
Get a 4.6l f150 they are a lot more reliable and cheap
>>
File: 1461877716662.png (682 KB, 1012x566) Image search: [Google]
1461877716662.png
682 KB, 1012x566
>>15080844
>buying a Dakota and not the GOAT Ranger
>>
Go for a 4x4 single cab ram. Dakotas are pains in the asses. Mine ate starters constantly. Starters and alternators.
>>
You can get a 4x4 Ram for 2000 but it'll be rusty
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.