[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Grinding Noise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 2005PontiacGTO_01_2500.jpg (300 KB, 2500x1428) Image search: [Google]
2005PontiacGTO_01_2500.jpg
300 KB, 2500x1428
So I took my car to get the differential fluid and transmission fluid changed. I just reached 55k miles. After the little shop (oil can henry's) was done, i drove the ~2 miles home. After it sat in the garage for a few hours, i went to drive it and now theres a bad grinding sound whenever I try to go forward or back while turning the wheel. This only happens in 1st gear and reverse. Sounds like its coming from the back of the car. Did they fuck my differential? I called and told them, but it was 10 minutes to close and i am bringing it back tomorrow.
>>
>>15080489
>not doing your own work
>>
There's not enough info here. Your just going to get wild reaction and conjecture.

Go pull the fill plug on the diff. Stick your pinky in. Is it thick gear oil?
>>
>>15080513
I don't have a shop or lift. Its way easier to pay someone else for stupid shit like this.
>>
>>15080527
Its 75W90. Or at least thats what they said they were putting in when I asked
>>
>>15080528
Then just relax and pay for a new diff.
>>
>>15080535
You're ridiculous. How does your mind make that jump?
>>
>>15080489
Probably underfilled your diff or not at all. Don't drive it anymore until they look at it.
>>
>>15080528
you probably dont need a lift to change differential or transmission fluid
>>
>>15080661
No just need to jack it up high enough to get under with a case of the oil and be able to pump it in. Or I could just drive into a shop and have someone stand in the pit and reach up and undo the plug.
>>
>>15080534
>they said
Go check you retarded faggot, maybe they forgot.
>>
File: 1449524309407.jpg (46 KB, 463x321) Image search: [Google]
1449524309407.jpg
46 KB, 463x321
>>15080534

That's not what he told you to do, you fucking twat.

OP is a faggot, thread over.
>>
>>15080723
Well, on the other hand, if you do it yourself, you don't come on /o/ and ask us what some high school dropout lube jockey did to your car.

Maybe the extra 20 minutes to jack your car up is worth it to save the time and hassle you're now going to have to go through to get Larry's dipstick and lube job to fix your car?
>>
>>15080534
If they did what they said they did, and they didn't screw up, you probably wouldn't be here bitching about grinding.

That being said, some oem diff oils include special lubricants that prevent grinding. I know when I first did the fluid change in my diff, I got some redline after market stuff because cheaper. Turns out the redline stuff isn't viscous enough to prevent the lsd rubbing on very tight corners. So, I took the expensive lesson as a learning opportunity, and replaced the diff oil (again) with oem the next week.

Good luck with your problem. If it only happens when you're rounding corners, and they didn't do anything other than change the fluids, they probably chapped out and/or used the wrong gear oil and now the diff is grinding when you turn the wheels.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.