[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking to buy a fun second car as a weekend toy. Willing to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault-1.jpg (515 KB, 2048x1077) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-1.jpg
515 KB, 2048x1077
Looking to buy a fun second car as a weekend toy. Willing to sacrifice reliability for speed and affordability. Must be rwd, manual, two doors, and not a soft top. Like a Mustang, Camaro, or Corvette from the 90's.

However, I live in California, which limits how much I can modify the powertrain. Fortunately, suspension upgrades, weight reduction, and drivetrain upgrades are unrestricted. I'd be satisfied if I could achieve 300whp with minor, inexpensive upgrades (no spray) and gut the car to 3000 lbs or less. I'd like to spend around $2000 for the car itself, not including upgrades.

What does /o/ suggest? How about this 2V Mustang?
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5548755481.html
>>
i dont know a lot about california laws, but if you do get a new edge get a coyote swap, the 2v is shit

if you cant do a coyote swap then try to get a 4v cobra engine or at least the 4v heads
>>
>>15071848
To be realistic, engine swaps are beyond my immediate scope right now. I'd rather not even mess with the heads. If the engine can reach 300whp with bolt-ons, tune, and minor cam, then I'd be happy. Maybe I can do headwork in the future when I have my own garage.

Oh, and I'm also considering the Mk.3 Supra turbo.
>>
>>15071925
If you want a fun car dont go with a minor cam dude. Get the one that gives you the most gains up top, who cares about idle
>>
>>15071925
you can get 300 whp from a 2v easily, but i dont see the point because it really is an outdated engine
>>
>>15071832
Those are some tough guidelines. 300 whp just isn't going to happen on a 2v with bolt ons. 4th gen f-bodies aren't usually anywhere near $2,000.

I think your best bet would be a reasonably priced fox body and plan on a 351w h/c/I combo in the future.
>>
>>15071832
Hijacking this thread:
I am in a similar situation except I live in a free state with no emissions regs, and want a fun, 2 door, RWD, manual JDM car for the weekends. Preferably with angular/80s styling.
>>
>>15072056
An aggressive cam won't pass emissions

>>15072063
Because they're cheap. Same reason why people buy foxbodies.
>>
>>15071925
>being realistic about budget restrictions
>being realistic about difficulty of engine swaps
I don't think you belong on /o/.
>>
>>15072958
Z31 300ZX.
>>15071832
Foxbody, no other really good choice if you want that much power that cheaply.
>>
>>15072217
>300 whp just isn't going to happen on a 2v with bolt ons.
I think it can with a cam and tune. Especially with some porting and polishing.

>4th gen f-bodies aren't usually anywhere near $2,000.
True, but 3rd gens are. But unfortunately I'd have to play sophie's choice between having the manual or the 350.

Fox bodies are something I'm looking at. Think a 5.0 with the basic gt40 and e303 setup can get 300whp? If so, I'd be happy with that and it's stupid cheap.
>>
If you're gonna get the 2v, make sure to get 4.10 gears, new throttle body and intake. Save up for a supercharger or something like that
>>
>>15073279
If I end up with a 2v then yeah, pretty much. Also considering the 5.0 and the GM offerings. Wouldn't mind a jap car either.
>>
>>15071832
You want 300whp with just exhaust? 3000 pounds after being gutted? Well fuck, look to the left of your post.
>>
>>15075792
Oh, you want it for 2 grand? Eh, that's gonna be tough. I guess for that kind of money you need a junk 3rd gen mulletmobile with no engine, and put a cheap ass SBC build in it...ugh
>>
>>15073262
Gt40 h/i/e303 combo will only net around 260, but it's cheap as fuck.

Trickflow h/i/e303 will be around 300 but costs 3 times as much.

Not to mention they absolutely need gears, subframe connectors and better rear control arms to actually use that power
>>
>>15076352
I meant tfs2 cam.
>>
>>15071832
>2v mustang
>300rwhp

you'll need a full exhaust, cams, intake and a tune and you'll be at 295-305
>>
I'd say you have to up your budget. 2k will buy you something but then how much more to get to 300whp? My power bolt ons for my fbody cost me roughly 1500? Never dyno'd but most likely was spitting out 340whp. Ls1 fbodies are usually around 300whp stock, lt1 maybe in the 270s.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.