[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need a James May type person to explain these physics...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 500x377
If displacement is the same in two separate cars, how can one with domed Pistons make more compression?! My autistic mind can understand the physics.
Picrelated: physicswat.jpeg
>>
>>15070846
The shape of the piston is not factored into displacement. Displacement is simply stroke x bore x cylinders.
>>
Displacement doesn't equal compression you nog. My 2.5 inline six has twice as much compression as a v8. You should read more
>>
Compression is entirely unrelated to displacement. Displacement is measured when the piston is at the bottom of the stroke, so it doesn't matter how tight everything gets at the top of the stroke. Also note that some of these pistons have a smaller bore, and thus will have a longer stroke in the cylinder for the same displacement.
>>
Because it's more material in the ignition chamber, thus raising compression.

You retarded, OP?
>>
>>15070867
Unless the 2.5 is diesel that seems a bit much
>>
So basically if I had a flat piston and it went higher it could have as much compression as a domed piston?

I thought displacement was how far the piston moves x bore....

I did say I was /o/tistic....
>>
>>15070846
Concave vs Convex, look it up.
>>
>So basically if I had a flat piston and it went higher it could have as much compression as a domed piston?

Yes, when people mill their heads/blocks they are effectively increasing compression this way. It only works until you hit the valves or you fuck up the timing belt/chain though.
>>
>>15070846
displacement is the measure of area from the piston at the top of it's stroke to the bottom of it's stroke, times the number of cylinders.

adding piston dome reduces the chamber volume but it doesn't effect the displacement because the bore and stroke are not changed.
>>
>>15070914
Yes it could, but a taller flat top piston usually doesn't fit well enough into the combustion chamber, hence the dome shape being used.

And you're right, that is what displacement is.
>>
>>15070846
compression ratio = (swept volume+combustion chamber volume)/combustion chamber volume
>>
>>15070914
>So basically if I had a flat piston and it went higher it could have as much compression as a domed piston?

Loosely speaking that is correct. But it is oversimplifying the PRACTICAL situation. Heads also have different shapes due to inlet and spark positions and the desire to have the start of the explosion occur differently based upon engine power and other factors such as the sweet RPM spot for the engine.

Generally, you have a done plus scooped out sections based upon improvements on the flow speed and direction of the explosion started by the spark plug.
>>
>>15070862
/thread

Why are people still replying. First post already answered.
>>
>>15070846
The domed pistons squeeze the air/fuel mixture more
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.