[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
5th and 6th grinding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: Engraved_Ferrari_Voodoo_knob.jpg (76 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Engraved_Ferrari_Voodoo_knob.jpg
76 KB, 480x360
hello /o/

i have a 6 speed manual and every time i go into 6th (and now 5th which just started recently) it grinds unless you granny shift

currently it is still able to go into those gears but the sound is very prominent

i heard online that it could be worn synchros and it's kinda making me anxious because that could be very expensive

i am coming up on 120k which is a multiple of 30k so i'm most likely due for a tranny fluid change but i'm not sure if it will change anything

yes i always press the clutch all the way in and yes it disengages so that isn't the problem

could anything else be happening or am i in for an expensive rebuild?
>>
>>15070295
>i heard online that it could be worn synchros
it is
>and it's kinda making me anxious because that could be very expensive
it is
>>
>>15070306
>>
>>15070295
just start double clutching like you should be
>>
>using the clutch
>not floating gears
>>
>>15070295
Flush and fill won't fix it, as was mentioned it's your synchros.

And I cannot stress this enough, make sure you have someone who knows what the fuck they are doing rebuild it. It is extremely easy to mess up something very tiny in a tranny rebuild and end up with an intermittent grind or other odd problem.

Alternatively, it might be cheaper to find a replacement tranny from a wreck with less miles than yours and install that.
Good luck!
>>
>>15070295
> granny shifting
> not double clutching
>>
>>15071185
>>15070472
wouldn't that just cause more grind because the tranny gets spun up from the clutch being engaged?
>>
>>15070295
Can't hurt to check your clutch pedal adjustment
>>
>>15070295
make/model? if its only one gear you're hoping it a linkage issue or a weird master/slave issue. If its easy you could always try changing your slave cylinder or bleeding your clutch and seeing if that does anything.
>>
>>15072851
Ignore him, double clutching is a meme and only done by autists who think they're Dagumi and drivers of 60s trucks with no synchros.
>>
>>15073126
04 350z
>>
>>15070295
the synchros are already 100% gone.

what you're hearing is the dogs on the gears getting worn down to shit.

>is it going to be expensive
I pity people who don't work on their own cars.
>>
File: 1460055567438.png (27 KB, 352x482) Image search: [Google]
1460055567438.png
27 KB, 352x482
>>15073162
Slave cylinders are easy as fuck and G/Z's are known for having slave issues. Try a new slave cylinder and bleed the clutch system.

My G35 is notchy as fuck into 2nd and 3rd when its cold outside (0F or colder). Before the engine is upto temp, I double clutch into 2nd and 3rd.

Anyway, sounds like you need a rebuild. Or just double clutch and/or granny shift into 5th and 6th all the time.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.