[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking at a car to buy. Ask seller for the mileage. Says it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: Odometer_70000.jpg (3 MB, 2518x1886) Image search: [Google]
Odometer_70000.jpg
3 MB, 2518x1886
Looking at a car to buy.
Ask seller for the mileage.
Says it reads like 325k but the odometer "runs fast".
Bull shit senses tingling.
Is this a real thing odometers can do or just stay away?
>>
>>15062508
It is possible. But doesn't count as an excuse for high milage.
>>
Eh. Somewhat. If tire size has been changed to a bigger/smaller one it can cause it to misread slightly. But that still isn't a huge difference unless it's been done since the car was new
>>
>>15062508
I'd only believe it on a truck with non-standard tires. My Wrangler read about 10 mph fast for 80k miles. Most of my driving was on the highway so at 75 it read 85.. over 80k miles that adds up to a few thousand extra miles on the odo.
>>
Mustang? People change the axle gears and don't calibrate the Speedo gear.
>>
>>15062508
>Says it reads like 325k but the odometer "runs fast".
Someone who is already lying about something as distinctly observable as the numbers on an odometer is going to lie to you about things that are difficult to observe or prove. Your response should have been the odometer has an equal chance of running slow, so maybe the numbers are too low then.

Regardless of "run fast" or not, those numbers are probably recorded by service centers who submit stats to carfax, etc. So the greater world already has the numbers on file somewhere. Thus the seller claiming the odometer doesn't really matter is wrong simply because other people will look at recorded stats and make a judgement based on that.
>>
>>15062508
Freeways used to have odometer checkpoints but all the ones I knew existed have been removed.
>>
>>15062702
Milepost markers have disappeared from most non federal roadways too. A sign of changing times.
>>
File: 7yoWV7v[1].jpg (27 KB, 478x373) Image search: [Google]
7yoWV7v[1].jpg
27 KB, 478x373
If it's a piece of shit american car with some sort of meme following because it shares parts with a pony car, then it's right. The odometer does run fast because some idiot changed the differential gear and didn't change the odometer gear.

It's a big plus to know not to mess with it then, do the math it probably has around 250k depending on the difference in gear.
Along with, it just proves the person who messed with it did a half ass job. What else is half assed? I don't know.
>>
>>15062741
how do you know all of this?
>>
File: ss (2015-10-05 at 03.13.05).png (39 KB, 135x111) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-10-05 at 03.13.05).png
39 KB, 135x111
>>15062758

Because I did it to my towncar. I went from 3.08 to 4.10. It's a big difference, But I wasn't about to waste my fucking time tuning or changing the gear, whichever the car called for, to get the odometer set.
When I modify a car, I have no intention of selling it. All the cars I've owned that I've modified I've junked after or some below $1000.

I know what a half assed job looks like, and soon, you will too.
>>
>>15062741
>it just proves the person who messed with it did a half ass job. What else is half assed? I don't know.

this never, fucking ever buy someone else's turd unless you are doing a full down to the frame restoring of the car, and wanting to doing that for something newer than 1970-1980 just shows your autism for the car

move on get something better or different
rule number one don't try to polish someone else' turd
rule number 2 don't buy someone else's turd unless you have autism and want that specific car
rule number 3 travel to find a car you want, rent a truck and a car trailer if you have to, or buy your buddy with one some steaks and a case or 2 of beer and pay for gas(probably more expensive than just renting, but you just cemented your bro status with him)
>>
File: bob0.jpg (32 KB, 502x370) Image search: [Google]
bob0.jpg
32 KB, 502x370
>>15062772
>When I modify a car, I have no intention of selling it.

hm, in that case would you you bother saving a hydrolocked car with 120k miles?..that you've only driven for a year and 8,000miles?
>>
File: 3FFK2OB.jpg (17 KB, 305x283) Image search: [Google]
3FFK2OB.jpg
17 KB, 305x283
>>15062810

I'd save the body, fuck the engine generally. Especially if you let that oil and water just sit afterwards.
I buy shit cars that have super common engines though, like mustangs and camaros. Just not those exact cars.

So I always have spare parts and junkyards to lean on.
I've never saved a hydrolocked car, but I've also never had a car under 160,000 miles.
So what the fuck do I know.
>>
>>15062862
hmm okay
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.