[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm about to go look at a 99 Subaru Outback ( pic not it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Subaru-Outback-1999.jpg (227 KB, 2240x1180) Image search: [Google]
Subaru-Outback-1999.jpg
227 KB, 2240x1180
I'm about to go look at a 99 Subaru Outback ( pic not it ) and I was wondering what /o/ thinks I should look for. I know to check coolant for oil to see if it has a bad head gasket, but what else? If everything looks good I may be trading my Lexus SC400 for it + Cash.
>>
That's not a good year to buy unless head gaskets were already done. Check the oil...does it look like a malt shake? Does it overheat?
>>
>>15056373
Check for rust. The frame rails and rear quarter panels are notorious for this.
>>
>>15056373
make sure to check the oil/coolant AFTER you go for a test drive, let the rpm go high (close to redline if you can)

owner could just change the fluids before selling to make it look like theres no head gasket leak. and check the frame rails for rust

also...is the sc400 really that bad on gas?
>>
>>15056716
>is the sc400 really that bad on gas?
It's a heavy 1990's luxury coupe with a big DOHC V8. Of course it's bad on gas.
I would honestly be surprised if they did better than 25 MPG highway and 16 MPG city.
>>
>>15056751
I'm averaging 21 miles to the gallon, running premium.
>>
>>15056373
take it to a parking lot and do some circles in both directions with the wheel at full lock, no throttle. if the car will still creeps around in a circle, then that's good. if the car shudders, hesitates, or doesn't go around, it's a problem with the awd system, specifically i think it's the "c solenoid" in the tranny/front diff. it can be fixed, but just know that it's expensive to have a shop do it.
>>
>>15056373
>selling a lexus for a shit subaru
kill yourself. fix the whatever's wrong with the lexus.
>>
>>15057243
Dudes got a point. What's wrong with the fine automobile you currently have?
>>
>>15057243
> bad mpg
> back seat practically unusable
> shit in snow

selling it it is the fix
>>
>>15057303
I just can't justify having a 2 door sports coupe anymore. I love the car, and it still runs like a top, but it's just not what I need right now. If I had the money to keep it and still get another car, I would.
>>
>>15057314
>bad mpg
don't be a poorfag
>back seat unusable
so? not like you have friends. if you do, make them take their own car
>shit in snow
get good tires.
>>
>>15056751
>25 MPG highway and 16 MPG city
>>15056798
>averaging 21 miles to the gallon, running premium

So it's basically identical to my Outback XT...
>>
>>15056373
>Subaru
Are you a lesbian?
>>
File: index.jpg (81 KB, 1493x840) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
81 KB, 1493x840
>>15056373

Owner of a 99' Legacy Outback. Can confirm, reliable as fuck cars other then what >>15056660 said. If the head gaskets aren't done, its gonna leak, and mix with oil.

Other then that, pretty reliable car. Got mine in 09' with around 112k miles,and I did some dumb teenage stuff with it. Still have it, its my wifes now, but its still running solid at 244k miles.

>TLDR Head gaskets are the Achilles heel of these Cars.
>>
>>15058450
No, they drive miatas.
>>
>>15062188
Haha epic dude
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.