[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bike won't start (sometimes)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: kawasaki-er5-1999-1.jpg (475 KB, 2126x1635) Image search: [Google]
kawasaki-er5-1999-1.jpg
475 KB, 2126x1635
So I have a problem with my -99 Kawasaki ER-5: sometimes it won't start. This happens both with cold and hot engine. It cranks but won't start. This happened rarely year ago, but more often now.

I know I need spark, air, fuel and compression so I've been trying to work on this on my own.

Spark:
Changed the plugs (old ones had some carbon fouling but otherwise ok), checked plug caps and HT wires which all were fine. Tried starting with plugs earthed to engine and I saw good spark. So I don't think it's spark problem.

Compression:
Did compression test on both cylinders and got 1400kPa on both (manual gives range of 960-1470). So not a compresion problem.

Air:
Air filter was fine, blew it with compressed air to be sure. Air box seems fine.

Fuel:
Drained the tank, checked all the fuel hoses and filters which were all fine. Checked the fuel tap (vacuum type) which works, fuel flows on pri and starts to flow in on position when vacuum is present.

I also removed the carbs and took them apart, cleaned them thorougly, taking all jets and shit off. Pretty much checked everything and all seemed fine.

I'm really out of ideas here on what to try next. What do you think the problem could be?
>>
>>15054099
Toggle the kill switch back and forth a couple times. I know my '85 sabre has a bad connection and if I ever use the switch I'll have to wriggle it around a couple times to get it to start
>>
>>15054176
But if it was switch problems then it wouldn't even crank right? At least on my ER-5 nothing at all happens if I try to start when the killswitch is engaged.
>>
>>15054199
My sabre cranks when the switch is off and so does my tt-r 225 and my xr 250
>>
>>15054199
The kill switch interrupts the flow of electricity to your plugs, so the engine should be able to crank but have no ignition and therefore it won't start. I've never known a motorcycle to have an engine switch that prevents it from cranking. Maybe new ones might I guess but not something that old
>>
>>15054099
Does it have a kickstand sensor that won't let it start? My friends 750 maxim has one. When the kickstand is down it won't even crank. Maybe the sensor's dirty or something
>>
File: 20150718_184255-1.jpg (3 MB, 3232x1547) Image search: [Google]
20150718_184255-1.jpg
3 MB, 3232x1547
>>15054099
You didn't put one of the carbs back together like this did you?
>>
>>15054318
Nah, first of all I cleaned it very well and I did check that air slides and needles were working correctly.

>>15054306
I'm not actually sure, I'll check. But at least my last bike wouldn't even crank with sidestand down.
>>
Does it run well when it starts? Maybe it's a timing issue.
>>
>>15054624
Runs perfectly.

Checked the kickstand switch which works as intended.
>>
It can also be the contacts on the starter button and the solenoid
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.