[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How important is it to get the EXACT engine code complaint spark
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: spark.jpg (108 KB, 1500x1071) Image search: [Google]
spark.jpg
108 KB, 1500x1071
How important is it to get the EXACT engine code complaint spark plug for your engine?

Mechanic friend-of-a-friend sourced 4 plugs based just off my model and engine size.

Internet reveals that the plug model number is meant for the 3 engine codes that aren't mine, my one engine code is annoying and different, and the plugs are 4x the price online. I don't want to fit these, but it's confusing that a professional mechanic would have tried to fit them himself in my place...

I tried to find the exact specifications online to compare manually but its a shitshow.
>>
>>15010781
as long as the length and the mounting type (thread + conical/flat flange) matches, you're ok
>>
>>15010835

Gonna compare them.

I suspected as much, but trying to balance up being mugged off for some "premium" product, vs. putting the wrong thing in and being all "hurr why doesn't it werk".
>>
>>15010781
what engine is it, what are the other engines?
>>
>>15010835
Also check the distance between electrodes, though iirc it's the same on like 98% of engines.
>>
File: notquite.jpg (835 KB, 2408x1268) Image search: [Google]
notquite.jpg
835 KB, 2408x1268
They're almost identical.

The only difference is the place where the spark happens, you can't see it in the photo but its noticeably shorter (not just because the electrode is different)
>>
>>15010872
>what engine is it

According to the interwebs this new plug is for the old 1.6 8v, and a few 1.6 16v.

My engine is a 1.6 16v with different engine code made towards the end of the model run.
>>
>>15010835
Not really, you need plugs that run in your heat range and proper gaps.
>>
>>15011078
what engine is it you fuck
>>
File: shittydrawing.png (1 MB, 553x826) Image search: [Google]
shittydrawing.png
1 MB, 553x826
The dimensions are identical except for this.
>>
>>15011094
>what engine is it you fuck

VW Golf Mk IV, 77kW 1.6l 16v "BCB"
>>
>>15011095
What car, what engine code.

You need to make sure it's in the proper heat range, and that the gap is the proper size. Wrong gaping can cause missfiring, poor fuel mileage and loss of power.
>>
>>15011106

>>15011105
>>
>>15010781
What's the Bosch PN?
>>
>>15011095
well theres your problem, anon

your old spark plug has only one curvy bit

the mechanic was trying to do you a favor and you second guess him?

i wouldnt be caught dead with a single curvy bit plug
>>
>>15011105

VW TECH HERE

on vws stick with the OE plugs

i fixed alot misfires cause owners decided to do their own tune up stick some other brand name plug in it
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.