[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A/C issues and belt noise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: working ac is nice.jpg (83 KB, 728x546) Image search: [Google]
working ac is nice.jpg
83 KB, 728x546
My car is an 05 mazda 6, A/C isn't working. It blows air but at cabin air temperature, no cooling at all. I've checked the refrigerant level, it's normal. Compressor clutch engages when i turn the A/C on and the A/C Fuse and relay are still good. Is there anything else i should check before i bring it in to a shop? Also there's a ticking noise coming from the serpentine belt area that very slightly quiets once the car's up to temp, could they possibly be related?
>>
why are car a/c systems such finicky piece of shit
>>
>>15007511

Is the return line cold and the compressor out hot?
>>
>>15007531
Because cheap and planned obsolescence
>>
>>15007511
>checked refrigerant level
so you busted out some gauges to check it? sure buddy...
>>
>>15007540
Haven't checked, but what if they are?
>>
>>15007564
Bought can of refrigerant that comes with a pressure gauge when i assumed that was it. Why are you acting like its a complicated procedure?
>>
>>15007570
i'm guessing you're still low on refrigerant which means you have a leak. take it to a shop and have them run a test with their fancy machine on it and then have them throw in some dye.
>>
>>15007570
it's a lot more complicated than that. you need to find the leak, fix whatever's leaking, then evacuate the whole system of air and then finally put refrigerant back in. just throwing more refrigerant in when there's air and water in there will fuck shit up.
>>
>>15007511
At best it's leaking. But I'd be willing to bet your alternator's fucked
>>
>>15007585
No, i used the gauge to check the pressure before i added any to make sure i wasn't overfilling. I saw that the level was normal so i didn't add anything.

>>15007602
Really? I did notice headlights dimming for a couple seconds a couple weeks ago but it hasn't happened again since, wouldn't there be more symptoms if it was the alternator?
>>
>>15007570
Because without the correct tools, it's incredibly complicated.
>>
>>15007617
So the gauge that comes with the refrigerant isn't accurate?
>>
>>15007612
It actually take two gauges to know what's going on in there, one for the Low pressure side and one for the High pressure side. And then you have to know what the pressures should be for the current conditions.

In any event, since you say the pressure on the Low side (since that's where you add refrigerant) was normal and you say the compressor was engaging, it's sounding like the compressor is internally fucked and not actually doing any compressing. This is only a theory at this point and further diagnostics with proper tools is necessary before considering a plan of action.
>>
>>15007645
Alright, i was hoping there were some other things i could check before i brought it to a shop but i guess this needs the proper tools for any further diagnosis. I appreciate the help guys, hopefully its nothing too serious.
>>
>>15007667
If you're lucky it'll be a leaky line replacement. If you're not lucky, compressor is bad. If they say the compressor is bad i'd get a second opinion just to be sure. They love to throw compressors on cars because it's high profit.
>>
If the guy has normal low side pressure, compressor clutch works and runs, and he's not getting cool air then my bet is either coolant fan or expansion valve.
>>
>>15007667
Spend $30 and get a set of gauges so you can figure out what's going on. They're the right way to refill the thing anyway.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.