[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buying first car
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: Miata.jpg (39 KB, 565x315) Image search: [Google]
Miata.jpg
39 KB, 565x315
>Be me
>Save up money through high school
>College next year (majoring in physics and mathematics but that's just me showing off)
>Have wanted a second generation miata all my life
>Would some someone's cock for it
>Find a seller
>Wants $5,500
>Only have $4,500
>Go with my mom to look at car
>Instantly fall in love
>Negotiate price
>Man says the lowest he'll take is $5,000
>Beg mom to give me $500
>Mom only has $300 with her
>Offer him $4,800
I lost this car over a $200 difference in price, am I a bad negotiator or was that unreasonable of the seller? Help me out because I don't know.
>>
Go to Walmart, try to buy a snickers bar, say you're 20 cents short and see if they sell it to you
>>
read the sticky s to the age
>>
Depends on the condition of the vehicle and the general level of value for that vehicle of that age. If it was in good shape and reasonably priced to begin with you never had a base for negotiations in the first place.
>>
You'll find another one with some time. Don't worry about it, Mazda sold a fuckload of miatas. If the listing for the car is still up after a week, call the guy and say your $4,800 offer still stands, he might change his mind if he doesn't get it sold.
>>
Shit thread OP
>>
>>15006933
>Seller wants $5.5k
>You show up with less than asking price, without previously negociating.
>Mad when he doesn't bendhis whim to you.

Either look at cars within your range, or save up more cash til you find the right one.
>>
>>15006933
He's an idiot for not taking the cash
>>
>Beg mom to give me $500
4chan is 18+.
>>
I was under the impression that it was easier to negotiate if I had cash. The car leaked oil and obviously had alignment problems with the suspension. Also the upholstery was shit. I felt like with that in mind, and the fact that the gear linkage felt a bit loose that $4,500 was more than a fair price
>>
>>15006945
>>15006951
What's it like riding the bus you beta faggots?
>>
>>15006959
I wouldn't even pay 3 for that, you can find mint ones around 5
>>
>>15006962
Maybe you should have enough money on you and not be a whiny faggot
>>
Don't get into the "this is the only car of this type I'll ever find I have to buy it now!" Mentality. Another one will pop up. Especially a Miata, there are loads of those.
>>
>>15007012
>looking to buy a Twingo
>can't find a decent one
>find mint E36 by accident
>profit
>>
>>15006993
Not op

>>too afraid to negotiate
>>internet tough guy
>>
>>15006933
He knew what he had
You lowballed him
>>
>>15006933
Seller wants what he wants for the car. Unless asking price is stupidly high, he's being reasonable to stay firm. Hoping seller would knock 1K off asking price is a little naive but whatevs. Don't feel bad about it, there are a lot of Miatas out there, likely in better condition than what you described
>>
I would literally suck someone's dick for an NB MX-5. I know I can't afford an RX-7 right now but the NB shares a lot of body lines with the FD RX-7. I know I can find another one easily, but I need tips on negotiating properly next time.
>>
>wanting a shitty tiny underpowered car that will surely grind your head to a pulp
What the fuck is wrong with you people, no seriously?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>15007057
U jelly
>>
File: 0.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>15007059
I'm a gay retard.
>>
>>15006942
>strawman detected
>>
>>15007066
I'm pretty jelly, bro. Not going to lie. My dad had one before he died. I guess that's what started my obsession with Mazda and the rotary engine.
>>
>>15007051
hahaha.... I see what you did there
>>
>>15007073
Sometimes you get someone who is willing to play ball, sometimes you don't. Guy was asking 14.5k for the car, I pitched him 12.5 and he took it no questions asked. You've got to be able to feel out whether they will come down. You're in a tough spot because the Miata market has been strong lately.
>>
>>15006959
With private sellers, unless they're looking for a trade, all anyone has is cash. Having cash doesn't give you an advantage in negotiations. Do your research and figure out what the car you're interested in generally sells for where you are. Look for sellers who are asking in that ballpark and only deal with them to minimize time wasted. Sellers are who are asking too much are either underwater on their remaining loan or delusional boomers. Conversely, sellers who are asking too little means the car is salvage or in otherwise shit condition.

Haggle until you can agree on a price that you feel is fair and is hopefully near or less than what your research tells you you should be paying. Negotiating isn't hard if you've done your homework.
>>
File: IMG_20141027_184141.jpg (3 MB, 2968x2968) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141027_184141.jpg
3 MB, 2968x2968
I'm more partial to American cars myself, but I've always loved the FD and NB bodies. Personally think they have a lot of similar lines to the C5.
>>
>>15006962
lol as I have two running/driving cars. Keep projecting.
>>
>>15007057
Just find a car close to what you have in cash. Go look at it, if its a little higher than what you have, talk to the seller beforehand. That way you'll know if what you have is in the ballpark of what they are looking for. Some people are easily swayed when a wad of cash is waved in their face. Some people wont even want to budge, it happens. Move on.

As someone already said, you have to feel them out. A lot of people are awaste of time, and sometime you don't know that until the end. The more face/face time you get the better you'll be. Just remember to trust your gut, and never be afraid to walk away. If they know you HAVE TO HAVE IT!! they will ask the most and not budge.

Hope some of this ramble helps. Good luck op
>>
File: 1459423620209.jpg (134 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1459423620209.jpg
134 KB, 1080x1080
>>15007059
/thread
Op the miatas nothing but a meme car in reality it's a pretty shitty car, for 5 grand you could do so much better
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>15007057
I got my gfs w 70k original miles for 2700 from a nice old man i like to buy corollas and other cheap stuff from like bone stock boyracer shit because they are so clean and still stock for some youngin to fuck up.

Pic related
>>
>obvious samefags yelling "HURR DURR MEME CAR" because they're too retarded to actually do their own research and instead parrot other busriders on here
>>
>>15006959
I was assuming it was mint for that price, find another one OP. 4,800 is too much for something that leaks oil and isn't perfect.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.