[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does handbrake launch control make sense in an FWD car?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
Does handbrake launch control make sense in an FWD car?
>>
>>15003097
what?
>>
how bad do you want to spin or break a axle/gear instead
>>
>>15003111
But you're not really controlling anything with this "launch control" since your front drive will work independently of the rear being locked. Your front wheels are just gonna keep either dragging the rear or spin in the spot while your rear keeps locked.
>>
>>15003097
what's the point of that thing?
>>
>>15003120
You're going to stress the fuck out of your drivetrain while your vehicle strains against the rear tires. It isn't rocket science.
>>
>>15003132
Which is why I'm asking about the point of using the handbrake launch control in the first place.

Careful clutch control seems like a more viable option desu.
>>
>>15003097
>tfw my car easily pulls against whatever stopping power my handbrake has
I'd say no. Learn to clutch
>>
>>15003223
>my car won't move with the handbrake unless I run it up to 2k
>my mom's minivan's parking brake doesn't even hinder movement
Having all the parking braking done with the transmission is spooky
>>
>>15003123
arms are too short to reach the hand brake
>>
>>15004043
no

more likely elderly, weak hands can't push the release button while pulling up against the handbrake
>>
>>15004043
Looks like an adaptive device for people with arthritis
>>
Maybe if you're drag/stoplight racing in an automatic SHO or SRT4 or whatever the non-freedom equivalent is.
>>
>>15004081
>more likely elderly, weak hands can't push the release button while pulling up against the handbrake
Mother's like that. If I put the handbrake on hard enough to hold the car she can't release it. This is where foot operated and electrically activated parking brakes have a niche
>>
>>15003120
You've never preloaded to launch a AWD car? Same principle applies to getting a good launch on any car unless you just dump the clutch like a moron
>>
>>15003123
Short arms,deep pockets.
>>
>>15003097
Sort of.
It's technically better on your drive train to preload it before a hard launch. You take up all the slack in the gearbox, diff, axle splines etc. Means when you launch, it's more of a push instead of a smack.

However you still need to slip the clutch to do this. And you wouldn't want to try to red line it. Just a bit of pressure to take up slack and get the car "ready".

I've actually never heard of handbrake launch control, but I've heard of torque multiplication for autos and reducing lash just makes sense... So.. Logical answer above.
>>
>>15003097

Yes, but a stock cable handbrake probably doesn't have enough holding force to pre-load properly. I've worked the start line for a couple rally stages before, and all of the FWD cars with hydraulic handbrakes would preload their launches enough to noticeably watch their rear wheels tuck.
>>
>drive off
>car is beeping at me
>cant figure out why its beeping
>turns out the handbrake was on
wew
>>
>>15007088
>Night before work I went and played in the fresh snowfall
>Empty campground with an interesting layout
>Only set of tracks entering the campground
>First time around idled around picking up branches & other debris
>Looping back around and it's just me
>Stop, get out and walk over to the gazebo
>Puff puff the magic dragon
>Back in car
>Hectic winter skids for a good hour or two
>Went home and off to bed
>Next morning the parking brake was frozen
>Drug the rear end 20 some odd miles on unplowed roads
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.