[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tire question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: determining-tire-size.gif (20 KB, 500x294) Image search: [Google]
determining-tire-size.gif
20 KB, 500x294
Hello I recently found a small but on the inside of the rear tire. Kinda short on cash so was wondering if it would be okay to use a 225/60r/16 and a 235/60r/16 on it till I can get another. It's a crown victoria.
>>
On the rear axel
>>
>>15000826
>being this much of a poorfag
If you can't afford tires you can't afford a car.
>>
Thanks but didn't answer my question. Just moved to Florida.and dealing with other issues can't get anywhere to get another tire either...so was wondering if that option would be a valid one.
>>
Yeah you'll be ok
>>
>>15000826
I don't think it makes any real difference to handling
but..
where I'm at its illegal to have different tread types and tire sizes on the same axle
check with your local po po
>>
It'll be fine. Your speedometer may be SLIGHTLY off. Basically it goes
Width/Wall Height (% of width)/Wheel Diameter

So the wheel you're putting on is slightly wider and slightly taller.
>>
>>15000826

Just do burnouts with the 235 until it's the same height as the 225.

Otherwise with different height tires on the rear axle the spider gears will be constantly turning and it'll wear them out faster. It's why you don't put a compact spare on a drive axle.
>>
>>15000893
That's dumb, what if you get a flat tire and need to drive to the tire shop on a smaller spare tire?

Would a cop pull you over and give you a ticket?

Sounds like it's one of those laws that's hardly enforced
>>
Wouldnt recommend it. Differentials typically do not like mismatched tires
>>
>>15000826
if you're going to do it, have the mismatched tires on the rear. your diff is going to work harder since one tire will be spinning about 13 revolutions more than the other per mile, so don't do it for long.
>>
>>15000826
You can probably find some used tires for like $25ea, you can't swing 2 tires so it rides right?
>>
>>15000925
That's why it's only checked at the time of inspection
>>
>>15001355
13 times a mile isn't going to cause any significant wear, the spider gears probably turn more than that driving around a corner
>>
>>15001412
Agreed, which is why I told OP if he had to, then do it that way. But depending on how long he keeps it like that, 13 rotates x 1000 miles is 13,000 revolution difference. It'll add up.
>>
>>15000925
I think space savers and spares have exemption
>>
>>15000826
Dont most vics have full size spares?
>>
Op here - that's what I'm using my full size spare. Just a few months ago I was given 2 (235/60r/16) for the back. And that's what went. I figured I'd be driving it for maybe 200 miles max before I get my check and able to match them up.
>>
>>15001030
>>15001355
>>15000914

Why would the width of the tire make it take more revolutions? You best all be trolling.
>>
>>15005144
Educate yourself before you show your ignorance next time

https://tiresize.com/calculator/
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.