[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i fucked up /o/. need some emergency advise i was doing some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6
File: bob fucking sagget.png (704 KB, 774x579) Image search: [Google]
bob fucking sagget.png
704 KB, 774x579
i fucked up /o/. need some emergency advise

i was doing some simple shit on my '87 volvo 240. changing oil + filter and sparkplugs.. somehow both went wrong

the oil filter is really really stuck but i don't have the appropriate tools so i hope to get it unstuck tomorrow

that goddamn sparkplug closest to the firewall tho.. it didn't came out as easily as it should and when scewing in a new one it kindof went in at an angle. probably crossed threads. now i managed to 'fix' it by gently re-threading the hole with the sparkplug but it still won't go in completely and some metal shavings possibly entered the cylinder

i know i'll have to get the sparkplug hole machined soon but my biggest worry is those metal shavings.. i put a generous amount of wd-40 in the cylinder before starting it up, let it idle for a bit and then revved it a few times. would this be enough to discard that crap out of the cylinder or do i risk damage if i drive the car like this?

i'd love to hear how those of you who have had to deal with this shit managed to fix it
>>
Why the fuck do we show this shit to kids. Trains with angry faces is fucking nightmare inducing.
>>
>>14999701
I know, right?
>>
File: 1385950866665.gif (2 MB, 266x199) Image search: [Google]
1385950866665.gif
2 MB, 266x199
>>14999701
>>
Why not just run it with the plug and wire off for a few seconds to shoot all the stuff out.
>>
File: mmm.jpg (28 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
mmm.jpg
28 KB, 480x360
>>14999797

sounds like it's woth a try. thanks
>>
>>14999670
>being this much of a noob
>>
>>14999797
pretty terrible idea desu

all this is going to do is help the metal shavings migrate to the edge of the piston where they can have a non sexual coming together with OPs piston rings.

i would slowly turn the crank until the exhaust valves were open for that cylinder and blow compressed air into it via the spark plug hole.

Also OP why the fuck did you apply torque to the plug if it wasn't going in easy? They ALWAYS start easy.

>mfw captcha is trains
>>
>>14999834

once i felt it wasn't going in easy i went back a few turns and tried again but no matter what i did it just got stuck again.. it didn't come out easy the first time so i guess it was already cucked up

okay, i don't have compressed air where the car is sitting.. would it work if i filled the cylinder with oil then eject it by turning over the car with the sparkplug hole open? metal shavings float in oil right?
>>
>>14999871
Metal shavings sink in oil.

You were putting the plugs in by hand right? There is no way you can damage the metal by using your fingers.

You inspected the old one when you took it out, right? You looked at the threads to make sure it hadn't taken some out with it, right?

You have your court mandated butt plug inserted, right?
>>
>>14999958

by hand until it kindof snapped to the side and wouldn't go any further..

old plug looked like shit but as far as i could tell the thread looked undamaged (car has been sitting, that plug might have been in there for over a decade)

wouldn't leave the house without my trusty buttplug
>>
File: Screw-thread-nomenclature.jpg (147 KB, 750x476) Image search: [Google]
Screw-thread-nomenclature.jpg
147 KB, 750x476
>>14999670
>when screwing in a new one it kind of went in at an angle
as you say the previous spark plug may and made this worse and may have been cross threaded when it was put in

but I still give advice for help avoid cross thread

the tip of the bolt has a taper to its minor diameter
and the entry of the thread has a bevelled ramp going from major dia to minor dia
use this with a little gental pressure in the direction of the thread axis to center the bolt

maintain pressure along axis
now slowly rotate the bolt counter to its thread direction (in most cases this is counter clockwise)
after a short while the leading edge of the bolt thread will drop into trailing edge of the first engagement point
do this slowly so as to better feel the exact moment
then rotate the thread in correct direction

doing this enough might do damage to the bolt and thread
but it is far less than a single cross thread
>>
File: xl_tool_drawer_liner_2.jpg (47 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
xl_tool_drawer_liner_2.jpg
47 KB, 600x600
>>14999670
dunno about the spark plug but OP don't buy tools for the oil filter - buy a sheet of drawer liner pic related
just wrap around the filter and you'll become GI Joe with kung fu grip.
>>
File: dirtycasual.png (102 KB, 314x333) Image search: [Google]
dirtycasual.png
102 KB, 314x333
>>15001587
>not jamming a screwdriver through the oil filter
step it up an/o/n

>>14999670
>yfw not posting in QTDDTOT or the Volv/o/.thread
fight me.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.