[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /o/, I could use your help. I was driving around town an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: dsc00199.jpg (967 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dsc00199.jpg
967 KB, 1920x1080
Sup /o/, I could use your help. I was driving around town and everything was running smooth, as usual. When I was headed back home my car started to kick. I was able to limp to my driveway and park it. Now it won't even idle properly. I've been told it might be a timing issue or something with my carb. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VShdDbG-HZQ
>>
File: DSC00201.jpg (458 KB, 1364x766) Image search: [Google]
DSC00201.jpg
458 KB, 1364x766
bump
>>
>>14991928
Sorry to tell you this mate. You've definitely put a window in the block. Just scrap the whole engine, it's not worth fixing.
>>
>>14991928
That's classic fuel starvation.

Why is another issue. I will say I'm not a fan of the fuel line routing but I doubt that's a primary cause.
>>
>>14991928
>it's old
Found your problem
>>
File: fuel line.jpg (8 KB, 107x106) Image search: [Google]
fuel line.jpg
8 KB, 107x106
>>14992653
This ain't pretty.
>>
New valve covers and carb dont make the rest of the engine nice. It's an old piece of shit. That's your problem
>>
File: heater hose missing.jpg (8 KB, 148x123) Image search: [Google]
heater hose missing.jpg
8 KB, 148x123
>>14992229
Overheating?
>>
>>14992680
>>14992687
>>14992689
I ha just bought this a week ago as a project. I'm still finding issues from the previous owner. So far the only thing I've done to it is replace some bulbs an top off the wiper fluid.

What would recommend I do now?
>>
>>14992708
I've kept an eye on the temperature gauge, it stays pretty cool. I did buy a new heater core, and once it's running again I'll install it.
>>
>>14992687
My biggest issue with the fuel line routing is that it goes above the level of the fuel in the tank before going back down to the pump. You'll notice the factory routing stayed below the tank so as to maintain a siphon effect on the tank and ensure supply to the pump
>>
>>14992767
I'll have to add that to the list of bullshit to fix.
>>
>>14992733
>What would recommend I do now?
buy a new car
>>
>>14992915
I have a POS daily driver. I bought this because I like this car, and want a project to work on.
>>
>>14992824
Anyway, pull the fuel line off the carb and direct it into a large can such that you can observe the output from the hose and have somebody crank the engine for about 15 seconds. Fuel should pulse from the hose in time with the engine at a good rate. Should be the best part of a quart for that amount of cranking. If that's good then you can move on to something like the points. If not then you need to do some diagnostics to determine if it's the pump or the supply to the pump has something like a clogged pickup, pinhole in the steel line, etc.

Or it could just be out of gas and the level sender is fucked.
>>
>>14993118
I'll certainly try that this evening. I doubt it's out of gas, but dumber mistakes have been made. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>14991928
What car lad?
>>
File: DSC00236.jpg (298 KB, 1364x766) Image search: [Google]
DSC00236.jpg
298 KB, 1364x766
>>14993472
1968 Ford Custom 500
>>
>>14993482
Hope you get her running soon. Beautiful car man.
>>
>>14993118
Fuel is flowing fine, I'll stop by the store in the morning and pick up some new points.
>>
Had to go out anyway, so I picked up a new set of points. While I was at the store, I did show the guy at the counter the video. He said I'm getting air into the carb, so I got a few feet of vacuum lines. I'll do some more testing in the morning.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.