[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Safety of working under A car
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: jacks.png (173 KB, 500x361) Image search: [Google]
jacks.png
173 KB, 500x361
Hey auto,

A little bit of a pussy over here and a bit worried about getting under a car for extended amount of times. I am buying a 240sx and swapping a sr in there so I'll probably have the car on 4 jack stands at once. I was a little worried about this so to reassure myself I was going to get 12 ton omega jack stands that seemed pretty secure and i was going to put some old wheels under the sides of the cars in case somehow they failed.

Do you guys have any practical advice or suggestions on how to make working under a car as safe as possible? I know accidents happen but maybe I am worrying about this a bit too much, are my fears unfounded here? How safe are jack stands anyway?

By the way I don't have a ton of DIY mechanical experience.
I'm just not trying to end up crushed and on the news.
Thanks.
>>
>>14990294
Shit, I have a pair of those cast harbor freight jack stands. I'll bet who ever broke it was doing something he ought not to have been doing with it.
>>
They're plenty safe as long as you don't use one with only 3 legs.. as they are more prone to fail as opposed to 4.

Flat pavement, slide in 4 jack stands, go around the edges of the car and push down/around as much as possible to make sure it's 100%

That's about it. There's 1,000,000 videos about it if it helps at all. You'll be fine.
>>
>12 ton jack stands

Jesus Christ, even 4 tons would be overkill for what you're using them for.

Give your car a body check when it's on jackstands, if it moves at all you need to fix it. If you're that paranoid just leave the jack under the car, so if it somehow falls off or something you won't be completely fucked
>>
Nah op. I use those harbor freight jackstands to hold my pickup up. 7900 pounds of diesel truck. Haven't had any issues or worried about it.

As long as you place them in the proper spot it's not a big deal. Once they are set, they probably aren't going to break unless something drastically changes, drop something heavy on the car or something.
>>
Thanks guys, sounds like I should stop worrying about this so much. Yea the 12 ton jack stands are definitely insane overkill, definitely don't need um, but I might still do it because I plan on doing some work on an F-150 and it would make me feel a little more confident.
>>
>>14990294
Before you crawl under it- try to knock it off the stands-rock the car as hard as you can-you are on a level,paved surface,right?
>>
>>14990309
this. chuck however many jacks you have under the control arms/tow hook points or whatever extra jack points you have as well, space permitting as a backup.
>>
File: red sled.jpg (2 MB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
red sled.jpg
2 MB, 1500x1500
>>14990294
i use the 12 ton stands for my truck, pic related, it weighs almost 9000lbs. im sure youll be fine with them holding up a car.
>>
File: crushing-disappointment.jpg (21 KB, 620x363) Image search: [Google]
crushing-disappointment.jpg
21 KB, 620x363
>>14990294
>buying a 240sx and swapping a sr
>>
File: 20160111_133940_resized.jpg (371 KB, 1632x918) Image search: [Google]
20160111_133940_resized.jpg
371 KB, 1632x918
Proper steel jackstands on a flat, solid surface
>>
>>14990294
I used 4 cheap ass Canadian Tire jacks to hold up my car for almost a whole year while it was in storage
>>
>A little bit of a pussy over here and a bit worried about getting under a car for extended amount of times.

me to. I use jack stands, then put wheel/tire under as well, sometimes slide in 2 stumps of wood as well.
>>
>>14991396
This. There's literally no reason to swap in the JDM/EU engine when you already have a working American engine. You're better off spending that cash on turbo and other upgrades.
>>
>>14990294
Bring a rim and tire under the car with you, then if it falls you'll only be pinned, not dead.

>tfw knew a guy who almost died under his miata because jack stands fell over

He is a based car guy and no newb. His wife came to the garage on a fluke and it saves his life.
>>
>>14991405
On the edge
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.