[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are most (not all obviously) police sedans capped at ~300-400hp?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Totally necessary.jpg (76 KB, 597x352) Image search: [Google]
Totally necessary.jpg
76 KB, 597x352
Why are most (not all obviously) police sedans capped at ~300-400hp? I mean, now that we have beasts like the hellcat, why don't they throw 6-700 horsepower, 170mph+ beasts under those hoods to keep up with sports cars and supercharged vehicles? Is it not worth at least keeping visual on some suspects? Safety concerns?

Pic not entirely related.
>>
You see anon, real-life ain't like Need For Speed. Police forces dont need a Lamborghini Jota Concept to catch up and then ram the subject until fiery death or submission. They have helicopters with fuel tanks that last more than 50 seconds (a la Most Wanted) and spike strips that wont be put in just one of the lanes (looking at you again, Rockport PD). If all else fails, a roadblock will either stop you or kill you.

No need for 600HP unicorns that will break down every two patrol days.
>>
>giving cops more reason to beat the piss out of police cruisers
>>
Because you can't outrun a chopper and the radio
>>
>>14986677

Because 99% of cops have the same level of driving ability as a soccer mom. You really think giving an under-skilled adrenaline monkey a company vehicle with that much power in tightly populated areas is a good idea?
>>
They already go up to 150mph. Very little cars have limiters above that. Most police chases involve Pablo's Civic or a teenager that steals a sports car and kills himself relatively quick.
>>
>>14986677
300 hp can be handled by a regular driver. 700 hp requires special training if you don't want your cops to all wipe out and explode in their first chase.
Furthermore, hellcats or not, you can do fuck all to a suspect escaping at 170 mph without creating a massive public hazard.
>>
No matter how much horsepower you got, you can't outrun a radio and a bird
>>
300-400 HP is fast, but still easily manageable by your everyday idiot driver. Once you get above that, it starts getting more and more harsh to drive.

Higher horsepower engines are a lot more prone to failures than their run-of-the-mill counterparts tuned for 300-400 HP.

Shit, the first car that I drove was mommy's X5 with 450 HP and it still felt intimidating to drive sometimes.
>>
File: 975747a.jpg (37 KB, 635x419) Image search: [Google]
975747a.jpg
37 KB, 635x419
>>14986719
>>
>>14987175
The idea is to keep eyes on them until the helicopter has them in sight. After that it's basically coaxing them into a roadblock.

On another note, anyone else hate the civic running from police commercial? I sperg for no reason, but no prius would make it more than 6 blocks before getting shit on.
>>
>>14986677
Because it needs to be cheap, reliable, sturdy, and needs to be agile more than anything in the city. My state's highway patrol has chargers with ~400 hp and they're monsters to shake. I'd be surprised if anything with less than a supercharged v8 could get enough distance not to get caught.
>>
The Cops here have to take a driving course before they're allowed to drive the Taurus SHO's.

Most police departments aren't allowed to go over 100mph, so 700hp would be useless.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.