[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I bought a new thing of car wax, but I also recently bought sealer.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: Car wax.jpg (59 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Car wax.jpg
59 KB, 300x300
I bought a new thing of car wax, but I also recently bought sealer. Should I use sealer first and then wax or the other way around?
>>
>>14982552
Wax then sealer. Or just sealer. Both together are a bit overkill
>>
What's the real difference between wax and sealer? I got a sealer for free with a purchase I made.
>>
bump in hopes this thread survives the night
>>
>>14982552
Honestly I always use sealant first because it lasts longer.

I think of wax is more like a final top coat because it washes off easier.
>especially carnauba wax
It seems like more dirt/dust and crap stick to my car when I top the sealant with a wax that has a high carnauba content.
>>
File: flowchart.jpg (175 KB, 550x850) Image search: [Google]
flowchart.jpg
175 KB, 550x850
>>
File: DSC_0192_zps1a2d932a.jpg (64 KB, 1024x680) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0192_zps1a2d932a.jpg
64 KB, 1024x680
sealer is synthetic of course, produces a mirrorlike shine. carnuba will give paint depth.
>>
>>14982552
whatever you have applied on that hood was applied way too thick
>>
>>14984552
That's just a random photo I found.
>>
>>14982925
This.

Sealant first. Wax after is completely optional.
>>
>>14982598
A sealer is meant to last and is man made. A wax is usually a substance that is naturally occurring and doesn't last all that long. Waxes fill scratches better than a sealant, so if you don't plan to polish the car it's better to use a wax. Most waxes now a days contain some polishing elements in them. So have at it.
>>
I bought some Chemical Guys Pete's 53 wax because I read a lot of good things about it. I'll report back about how it turns out. I've never used a wax that you didn't have to wait and let it haze up.

What waxes/sealants do you all use?
>>
>>14982552
The Sealer is always used first on a totally clean surface. If there is already a wax job on it you will need to strip off that wax so that the sealer can bond with the clearcoat surface. It makes no sense to have the sealer bond to wax that then later on comes right off the cars's surface. That wastes the sealer.

Wax or other treatments then go on top of the sealer AFTER you have let enough time go by for the sealer to cure. Putting on wax right after you put on the sealer wastes the sealer as it didn't have time to cure. Thus when you apply the wax, all those solvents quickly dissolve the uncured sealer.

Sealer provides a longer lasting polymer coating on the paint's surface. It is more a chemical and UV resistant protection than anything else. The wax coat you apply on top of a sealed surface provides the majority of the protective sacrificial coating that wears off as things hit it (water, dust, grit). So the wax provides more of the anti-scratch protection than does the sealant. With the two working together, sealant+wax, the clearcoat is nicely protected. The problem with sealant is that harsh cleaning methods can remove it such as washing it at the commercial car wash. Washing at home with gentle car wash such as Meguiar's Gold Class works well enough. With gentle rubbing from a wash mitt, that car wash will remove most or all the soft wax protection along with the dirt but leaves the sealant alone. So you basically wax your car again. The sealant lasts however long it lasts. I used Turtle Wax Ice sealant in november and it is still somewhat on despite various rains and car washes using meguiar's gold class. But it is noticeably less or even gone in spots. Nov --> April is okay duration for sealant I guess when all the gentle home car washes are taken into consideration. But if I took it to the commercial automated car wash, those acidic chemical cleaners would have stripped the sealant right off.
>>
File: 100_4623.jpg (97 KB, 841x631) Image search: [Google]
100_4623.jpg
97 KB, 841x631
>>14989561
menzerna power lock sealer, pinnacle souveran paste wax for high metallic paints

blackfire system on my black bmw

collinite 845 insulator wax on my DD
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.