[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NA Miata Soft Tops?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4
File: 1454283739910.jpg (392 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
1454283739910.jpg
392 KB, 1024x683
Hey Guys,
Im graduating in a week and my folks were gonna buy me a soft top for my miata. I was hoping you guys had any opinions on brands and types. (I have a 1992 NA6 Red Miata btw)\

>Glass or Plastic window?

>Vinyl or Cloth?

>Zipper or no Zipper?

>Brands to stay away from?

My parents budget is between $200 and $400. Im from the Northeast but I think ill buy a hard top around the fall.

thanks
>>
File: IMG_20140202_173152_205-Re4ch.jpg (291 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140202_173152_205-Re4ch.jpg
291 KB, 1280x720
>>14966275
>Glass or Plastic
I prefer plastic. Glass tops tend to break away from their stitching because of the weight of the glass from what I've seen, so I believe a properly maintained plastic window top will outlast a glass window top. Also some plastic window tops provide you more visibility than the glass top. But if you live somewhere cold, you might be better off with glass. Though you'd be even better off having a hardtop in that case.
>Vinyl or Cloth
I prefer vinyl. I think it's more durable and looks better.
>Zipper or no Zipper
Indifferent. It may be nice if someone slashes your plastic window and you might be able to just get that replaced and not the whole top. Some people where I live keep the window unzipped for ventilation when they drive. I would just drop the top for that, so I don't understand that. It looks a lot cleaner without the zipper and seam IMO, and it's cheaper.
>Brands to stay away from?
Robbins is master race. Don't know and wouldn't use anything else. I have the Robbins XT top, which is the cheapest top they make. I got it for ~$200 from Moss Miata. Not sure if they still have it in stock. But it has a plastic window that's a little larger than the OEM plastic window tops IIRC, and like I said, there's no zipper or external seam, so I think it looks pretty clean. I've had it on my car for about three years now. Need to get around to cleaning the rear window before it fogs up. I kinda fucked up already though - apparently with plastic window tops, you're not supposed to wipe the window in a circular motion when you wash your car. So after a while of that, my rear visibility is a little distorted. I can still see license plates and stuff in my rear view, so it's not too bad yet.
>>
File: mazda mx5 (4).jpg (69 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
mazda mx5 (4).jpg
69 KB, 500x500
>>
I took my soft top off and threw it away, shit was just annoying tbqh pham
>>
Where the hell is miata general
>>
File: OC-o-MiataThreadNOW.jpg (56 KB, 814x294) Image search: [Google]
OC-o-MiataThreadNOW.jpg
56 KB, 814x294
>>14967303
>>
>>14966946
thanks man, really appreciate the answer. Im gonna look into robbins and it looks like a panorama window?
>>
Glass will rip around the edges eventually.

Find a hard top
>>
>>14966275
I think cloth looks better than vinyl.
And glass is better than plastic with the bonus of a heater option.
>>
>>14970909
Nah mane, I said mine is the XT "economy" top, cheapest option. The panorama top does add even more visibility if that's what you're inquiring, though I think the glass version of it is about the same as what I got. Also if you suspect that the top has never been changed and you have an NA, it might be wise to get a rain rail as well. Even if it turns out yours is OK, doesn't hurt to have a spare - and I'm sure if you don't want a spare. But yeah, when I got the XT top, it was on a sale. I'm not sure if Moss Miata still stocks them. You may want to see if you can order one directly from the manufacturer. GoMiata might have it, but I and several of my club members have had shitty experiences with their customer support so I wouldn't recommend them (unless you live near their warehouse I guess... also their prices tend to be a bit jacked up).
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.