[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Turn Signals
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1378882707982.jpg (76 KB, 696x680) Image search: [Google]
1378882707982.jpg
76 KB, 696x680
What does it mean if my turn signals are working sporadically? They seem to never work in the mornings, but they always work in the afternoon and at night. The bulbs are fine, and I've replaced the turn signal relay and the fuse, but nothing has changed. The only other thing I can think of is a short somewhere. I'm going to get it looked at soon, but am I possibly overlooking anything?
>>
>>14961643
Fuse issue or short sounds most likely. As the car heats up from the sun the metal expand just that fraction of a millimeter to make the connection?
>>
>>14961643
If you're driving a ford from around the year 2000, or possibly any car, try adjusting the steering wheel to be lower. I had this happen and I thought the car had some gremlins, but it turned out to be something silly. Manufacturers try to save 1/100th of a cent by having their wires be just long enough, but this ends up pulling the wire connection to the blinker relays when the steering wheel is up too high. Try this and tell me if this fixes it.
>>
>>14961726
Well, I drive a 1992 Ford Mustang, so the steering wheel isn't even adjustable. Interesting fix, though.
>>
A car that age probably still uses relays to control the lights.
Perhaps the relay housing has cracked allowing humidity inside... Perhaps the relay contacts are dirty... Do you still hear clicking?
>>
>>14961679
>>14961819
Did either of your read the part where OP said he replaced all relevant fuses and relays?
>>
>>14961788
I have a 1999 Ford Expedition just so ya know. Let me ask you something as I just want to see if it's really the same problem—Is it only one blinker that goes out? For me, it was the front right. In the mornings it worked fine, but later it was temperamental and would decide to work randomly. I knew it had to be a wire-pulling issue when I was going down the freeway and it played a beat that could go along with a guitar part in 'down with the sickness' as I was preparing to change lanes. After I moved the steering wheel down, there were no more issues. Maybe look up your specific model and problem as this might be a common issue with—hopefully—an easy fix.
>>
>>14961643
I've had something like this happen before in my work truck and had a couple people mention humidity like anon said here >>14961819

And I think that was the case because they really didn't like working in the AM if it rained the night before. And I'm guessing it was the actual relat as well like anon said because when they weren't working properly, the turn signals would come on when I flipped the stalk up or down, but they wouldn't blink.
>>
>>14961679
That's something I've considered. I'm not sure how else the time of day would factor in.

>>14961819
Nope, no clicking when it's not functioning. No indicators, no sound, no anything.

>>14961852
Nah, it's been both of them. The hazard lights work normally, though, but they use another separate relay, which is why I thought the relay for the normal turn signals was my problem. I've tried looking around, but no one seems to have anything specific.

>>14961859
I've also thought about that, but I keep it garaged and before today, it hadn't rained for a few weeks.
>>
>>14961879
Both of them, huh? Well my money's still on a pulling wire. Good luck dude!
>>
>>14961788
My fox has really slow blinking turn signals like almost comically slow. The other day one went out and when I changed it the bulb was literally blown out and had some goo inside it. I suspect my tail light housings are leaky have you looked inside of them for moisture?
>>
>>14961892
Thanks, I appreciate it.

>>14962630
I have, and they seemed dry and clean as far as I could tell. This has been the first problem I've had with my fox, and I've had it ~3 years now. I really enjoy the thing.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.