[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did the culture of selling used cars become the slimy culture
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: tinker.gif (8 KB, 120x118) Image search: [Google]
tinker.gif
8 KB, 120x118
How did the culture of selling used cars become the slimy culture that it is?

Was it always this way?

Does anyone ever really sell a car that doesn't have some huge issue they aren't willing to fix?
>>
>>14960991
people selling used anything will lie about its condition to make more money off of it.

Sometimes the seller even feels like theyre getting ripped off since they cant sell it for 120% of what they bought it for.
>>
>>14960991
>Does anyone ever really sell a car that doesn't have some huge issue they aren't willing to fix?

Of course they do. There are plenty of well maintained cars with honest sellers out there.
>>
>>14960991
If you're getting rid of something, there has to be a reason. 9 times out of 10 the reason is because the car is a piece of shit. No one will buy a piece of shit if they know it's a piece of shit so you have to make them believe it's not a piece of shit.
>>
The biggest part about buying a used car is the individual you buy it from. I have purchased 3 cars from Craigslist, looked at many.

In all three cases the car simply wasn't being used anymore.

In the first case, a 92 saab turbo vert, the owner had ordered a new convertible and none of his kids drove stick.

2nd, a 2001 9-3, the owner had purchased another car and wasn't driving.

3rd, a 95 saab 9000, the owner was the original owner. Flawlessly maintained. Had two other newer cars and wanted the garage space back.

All three owners were upper middle class, with the 9000 possiblly being upper.

So buy cars from well to do people who simply are not driving them anymore.
>>
From my personal experience dumb customers end up blaming the people they bought the cars from for thwir stupidity. I sold a motorcycle that I took in trade to someone who refused to test drive it before he trailered it off. I personally dont ride bikes and just started it never checked the condition. He bought it for my full adking price as an indicator of quality when I priced it high in order to haggle down. He called me 2 days later with complaints and all I told him was why didnt you test drive itI tried to be as up front as possible and I couldnt make you drive it. Seriously some people are stupid, and blaming others is a consumer pasttime.
>>
>>14964039

The guy was a motorcyclist, enough said.
>>
>>14963763
>So buy cars from well to do people who simply are not driving them anymore.
Not always a great idea. It's not being driven any more for a reason.

I sold my old car almost two years ago after buying a newer one. I got the newer one because the old car kept breaking, drank oil, LEAKED oil, chewed through tires like crazy, needed an oil change, and was going to need new rear springs in a few months, on top of all the money I threw into having the brakes replaced.
Compared to their old car that didn't have a radio, it was great, but good god did they get a lemon.
>>
>>14960991
Horse trading was notoriously slimy before that. People had all kinds of dirty tricks for making horses look younger and healthier than they actually were.
>>
>>14964111
How well to do are you? Do you own a million dollar + home?
>>
>>14964291
You are now aware that three times more millionaires live in homes valued under $300k than live in homes valued over a million.
>>
>>14960991
The culture of selling anything is slimy as hell, it's just in second hand markets they can't afford to hide it so well.
>>
As a born and bred low-buyer, high-seller I can assure you that the one and only thing you can count on is that most people are stupid and know very little about either what they're selling or what they're buying. How and to what extent you choose to take advantage of this one rule is up to you - or you can just be one of them.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.