[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When do you need to change spark plugs and what do you notice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: E3_Spark_Plugs_2_Plug_Image[1].jpg (181 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
E3_Spark_Plugs_2_Plug_Image[1].jpg
181 KB, 1500x1000
When do you need to change spark plugs and what do you notice after you've done it?
>>
you should check with the plug manufacturer. It's usually 50k to 150k between replacements.
bad plugs can cause a 20% drop in efficiency if left long enough
>>
Shade tree mechanic way to check is unscrew the plug, connect it back up to its wire, start the car and touch the tip of the plug (the part that goes into the engine) to your tongue. It is a lot like checking a 9v battery. Not the most comfortable thing to do but if you feel that same tingling/weird feeling you know the plug is still good.

When your plugs really go you will notice it on idle and acceleration.
>>
You will probably start getting misfires and a CEL of they go bad
>>
>>14955450
>>14955474

My Ford Focus idles abit rough and acceleration is not smooth. and i've noticed fuel economy dip by almost 4 Mpg... Think it might be the plugs based on this info
>>
>>14955425
>When do you need to change spark plugs
every week
>what do you notice after you've done it
massive gains expect 30bhp+
>>
>>14955474
I just stick the plug up to something metal and see if it sparks.
>>
>>14955532
>not changing them every 50 miles
Get on my level pleb. I change them every time I fill up
>>
>>14955474
Sticking it up your ass works better
>>
>>14955529
if you have any doubts about whether or not the plugs need changing just replace them.
you can change them for as little as 1.99 a plug and it takes less than two minutes on most cars.
>>
>>14955425
My car was misfiring like a mad cunt when I bought it, so I changed the plugs. Fixed it.

About 30k miles later it started misfiring again so I replaced the plugs and it's fine again.

So basically I do it when it starts misfiring.
>>
>>14961202
It's fouling the plugs for a reason. Check that shit out hey
>>
>>14962379
Copper plugs last 10k miles before they start falling off. Doesn't matter how well your engine runs.
>>
>>14962433
Sure, if something is fouling your combustion chambers. Copper plugs should last about 30k.
>>
>>14955529
Is it a new Focus?
If so, are you using regular fuel?
If so, don't. Use premium.

I had the exact same issue. Switched to premium as suggested by the fuel cap, problem solved.
>>
>tfw only get 1,500-2,000 miles out of a set of spark plugs
>>
File: 1448126795157.jpg (21 KB, 400x284) Image search: [Google]
1448126795157.jpg
21 KB, 400x284
usually a rough idle is the biggest indicator.
plugs are not expensive so, there isn't a reason NOT to replace them.
>>
>>14966276
Unless you own a subaru
>>
>>14966287
>tfw ford 5.4l
>1000 times worse then a Subaru
>>
>>14966287
oh ya i know.
my roommate owns a WRX
shit very hard 2 work on.

i meant like i4 with super easy plug changes.
>>
About every 10-15k as I heard it may preserve the ignition cassette.
>>
>>14966287
Oh come on, they're not that bad
>>
>>14955425
Either
> Rough idle
Car/truck feels a little jittery, or sits at low RPMs (this can also be intake fouling) shitty pickup (Full open throttle and your vehicle is being a pig, and not picking up much speed[This is normal for shit boxes])

Or
> Checking the spark plug itself
Spark plug should have no fouling
> white fouling
This isn't too bad, sometimes normal for older vehicles, you can either be a lazy cunt and clean them with a copper brush, or replace them. Shoulding show white fouling unless you've put a lot of miles into the car (if fouls anywhere before 5k miles your shit is bad, there is either coolant fucking your chambers, or your running hella rich)
> black fouling
This is bad, your engine is burning oil, your piston rings are fucked or you got a crack somewhere
>>
>>14966772
lol?

>kek

you dont need to do them nearly that much. try twice that or more.

"ignition cassette" where do you get this shit? do yourself a favor and spend 30 minutes scouring youtube for videos from legit sources about MILEAGE based maint for your car.
>>
learning to read a sparkplug will tell you everything you want to know about how the engine is running.

its a lot more intricate than you'd think at first, but its like reading a book.
>>
>>14966847
and if you googled what an 'ignition cassette' is you would know what you are talking about and why spark plug 'health' might be vital to system that is constantly flowing a low amount of voltage to the plug to measure cylinder ionization.
>>
>>14955425
>dad buys ragged out buick with 186k
>factory plugs
>runs on 3 cylinders or so
>spend entire day on tune up because everything is fucking melted and rusted together
>still runs like shit because its a 60* v6
>>
Tried changing the spark plugs in my 1986 300zx the other day. Two of the plugs I took out broke and the threats are still in the head. Help me.
>>
>>14955474

Is this legit or is this some trolling attempt for Joe Boomer to shock himself into cardiac arrest?
>>
Do the most expensive spark plugs make a difference? What is best in life?

I'm currently at 75,000 km after buying my vehicle new after 5 years, still have a few more km before I change plugs
>>
>>14971380
Screw Extractor vacuum ALL the debris before you pull it out.
>>
>>14966857
nah you just google spark plug and it gives you a chart of what plug is too hot/cold, contaminated by running too rich or just plain shitty old and rounded. also octane booster is orange.
>>
>>14971393
9v batteries put out 9v. now imagine the feels when you do it with 1000-2000V that spark plugs run at. you can just check them by removing from engine, plug in, crank car for a second while watching engine bay through gap at bottom of hood. doesnt tell you anything though other than your ignition is firing.
>>
>>14966287
OR any work on a 300zx
>>
>>14971483
>2000v

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that car engines typically ran at 12v
>>
>>14971370
Are you the same poster from >>14971382 ?
Because it all makes sense now. It runs like shit because it was abused for probably the last 100k of its life, not because the engine is shit. Just a basic tune up won't fix that shit, nigger.
>>
>>14971644
the voltage is stepped up first

also, alternator voltage is more like 14 something
>>
File: nice meme.jpg (30 KB, 480x459) Image search: [Google]
nice meme.jpg
30 KB, 480x459
>>14958768
>50 miles to a tank
I always knew people with mopeds were on this board
>>
File: transformer.png (49 KB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
transformer.png
49 KB, 2272x1704
>>14971644
The voltage is stepped up using TRANSFORMERS
>>
>>14971644
a rough guide to voltage is that a spark 1mm long will form for every thousand volts. air is a good insulator. but it breaks down and conducts electricity at high voltage.

the purpose of the ignition coil is to change the 12V into thousands of volts so that a spark will happen.
>>
>>14971668
>>14971679
>>14971723
That makes a lot more sense, I always thought it was strange that 12v could make a decent spark
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.