[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Build Thread"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 1448685589424.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1448685589424.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
At what point did wheels, exhaust, and appearance mods become a "build"? The amount of money people pay for wheels alone can do wonders on an engine or suspension but instead it goes into making slow car look good. How the fuck can someone know how to use rivets for an off-brand bodykit or afford to pay someone else to mount a legit kit and not know basic knowledge of an IC engine?
>>
>>14948162
>look good

is this what stancefags say to deal with the buyers remorse?
>>
>>14948162
well it's part of the modern world where the change in hardness of one's turds necessitates a status update
>>
That was all a build ever was after the hot rodding era.
>>
every "build" ever now

>"clean" vw golf or civic hatch
>stretched tires on aftermarket wheels
>Lowered with aggressive neg camber
>"engine swapped" with wire-tuck and shaved/painted engine bay
>side skirts, front lip
>blacked out emblems
>fog lights
>ebay race/rice steering wheel, often removable
>fake or used bride seats. sometimes just one
>bolt-in "roll cage" with hatch area gutted
>>
>>14948222
>>14948237
go on buildthreads and see for yourself how wrong you are
>>
>>14948222

I mean, aesthetics have ALWAYS played a huge part in car culture. Guaranteed, when the first kid decided to chop up a Deuce Coupe, the older generation thought he was retarded. A lot of us look at those cars now and think their amazing.

I'm not trying to defend stance, since it is Automotive Cancer, but purely aesthetic modding isn't inherently bad. Lowriders, Lead Sleds, hell, even just doing up a tasteful livery with some basic exhaust work for tone is cool. I like it when people take a plain Jane Accord and dress it up. Putting it on nice wheels, updating the interior, affixing it with a good exhaust system - that's all great.

Shit, my Challenger only has aesthetic mods at the moment. I did some exhaust work and replaced the hood scoops with functional ones. I can't afford to build power, so I just try to keep it beautiful.
>>
>>14948162
>The amount of money people pay for wheels alone can do wonders on an engine or suspension but instead it goes into making slow car look good.
Maybe they're not trying to make it fast?
>not know basic knowledge of an IC engine?
You're the only one saying they don't.

It's like talking shit for throwing tires and lockers at a truck/SUV instead of a blower. People change stuff up for all sorts of reasons, and going fast is only one of them.
>>
File: stance delete.jpg (211 KB, 610x1266) Image search: [Google]
stance delete.jpg
211 KB, 610x1266
>>14948162
it's not a build. a build is about modifying the entire vehicle. you lower the car because you need to improve handling to compensate for the power improvement. you change to better wheels because you have more torque. you modify the exhaust because you need the extra airflow. all those mods by themselves are just expensive decals.
>>
>>14948275
>stance delete
>>
>>14948162
>Buy genuine wheels so I don't hear shit about being a poser with replicas
>"Don't spend so much money on wheels stance faggot ricer than you might actually go fast"

>Buy replicas so I have money for performance
>"Enjoy shit rota replicas you faggot. You must be a real poor fag Bogan not to get genuine wheels lul"
>>
>>14948162
I think it mostly has to do with the nature of bolt-on components and modern tuning methodology. You don't have to 'build' an engine quite the same way any more to see power gains. Also forums in general are for attention seeking name faggotry, so why wouldn't every joe start a build thread so they can post their instagram and other social bullshit?

What happened to enjoying cars for the car aspect of them?
>>
>>14948162
>muh performance

the most boring aspect of car tuning
>>
maybe theyre fine with how the car is and just want it to look nice
>>
File: image19352.jpg (195 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
image19352.jpg
195 KB, 600x400
And you seem to have a problem with good looking slow cars why exactly?
>>
>>14949857
>As long as my car looks like shit and I look like a tool it's fine if I drive slow as shit
>>
>>14950111
>muh boyracing
>>
>>14949869
It's not a build.

>>14950111
This guy is a troll, he comes up in literally every thread. Don't respond. He's perfected his craft though, even his vernacular is irritating.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.