[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You have 10 seconds to explain why your car doesn't push 350kw
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7
File: 18n28wg4rkrugjpg.jpg (45 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
18n28wg4rkrugjpg.jpg
45 KB, 636x358
You have 10 seconds to explain why your car doesn't push 350kw
>>
>>14928227
>kw
>>
road tax
>>
Because I drive a truck, cars are for women.
>>
Because I don't measure my car's output in lightbulb power.
>>
>>14928227
Since when does that 335i?
>>
>>14928237
Because you never studied literally anything STEM related you mean
>>
>>14928246
>STEM buzzword

every high school graduate in the U.S. has some science and math exposure.
>>
Because I want to push the limits of an underdog and defeat goliath.
>>
>>14928275
Yes, but you won't appreciate kW unless you need to lay down some electric systems and can easily compare power levels. This is the sole reason people get ripped off with things like electric supercharger kits that consist of a fucking electric fan that you stuff into your intake.
>shitbox makes 100 horsepower
>sounds nice but doesn't really compare to anything
>shitbox makes 75 kW
>hmm, my fat gaming machine computer eats about 500 watts max and my oven can go up to 5kW. that's a lot of power in that shitbox now that I think about it
>this electric supercharger eats about 100 watts to run
>that sounds like nothing
>now I remember that a piston engine is really nothing more than a big air pump...
>I don't think this electric supercharger will do anything after all
>>
>>14928291
You're right. Only enlightened engineers who understand the mythical kilowatt can understand why electrical superchargers are scams.
>>
>>14928227
>insurance rates are high
>hard to find in central europe sub 15k
>i like old cars better and they usually haven't got as much power (again, sub 15k)
>>
>>14928291
Man electricity is the fucking least intuitive way to look at it.

You lift shit up and walk up hills and stairs all the time. You learn about energy in high school and dU = mg dh is one of the first things you see. From there you get an idea of what a Joule is and you know what a second is so you can relate it back to lifting things, which is something you've got a reasonable idea of unlike the amount of heat that you vent out of your computer that you literally never pay attention to and isn't the work that you care about your computer doing anyway.
>>
>>14928335
Electricity and mechanical forces are the exact same calculations. COmpare how you'd work out resistance of resistors in series and in parallel against how you'd work out the resistance of springs if you parallel or series them. It's all the same formulas, just with different angles of application.
>>
>>14928227
I can't afford armani sunglasses and I had a girl once showing interest in me.
>>
>>14928350
>Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering are the same thing
You (and every other European idiot who expresses mechanical energy in kW) sound this retarded

But this is a troll thread from the beginning since a) that car appears to have US plates and b) there's no fucking way it makes 470hp
>>
>>14928350
Yes, I know. I'm saying that comparing to a mechanical application is more intuitive than to an electrical one.
>>
>>14928364
They are pretty much the same. Source: I study Mechatronics Engineering, which is both in one. I can use practically any formula from one eventually in the other.
>>
File: 1406421166506[1].gif (649 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1406421166506[1].gif
649 KB, 300x300
>>14928374
>Mechatronics Engineering
>>
>>14928374
I know jack shit. Source: final yr mechanical engineering
>>
>>14928374
Could you please explain to me how you use Kirchhoff's laws to analyze a mechanical system?
I would be very interested to learn that.
>>
>>14928409
dont even need kirchoff desu, just use voltmetre conected between each piston
>>
because I'm a tightass and as long as I can kick it sideways it's fine
>>
File: tfw poor - Kopie.jpg (58 KB, 1379x597) Image search: [Google]
tfw poor - Kopie.jpg
58 KB, 1379x597
>>14928409
I only know the German terms, so this will sound funny as I mangle the translations.

Basically, the first Kirchhoff equation says that all streams going into a knot and coming out of it must equal out to zero, yes? The same applies to statics. Pic related. Statics of course presupposes that everything stays static and nothing snaps off or bends.

You have a bar that is set into a wall and has a single force F1 applied onto it from above at the end. The only part where the force can 'ground' itself (i.e. be opposed by an equal force so the equation turns out to be zero in the end) is the point where it is set into the wall. Therefore, in the point where it is set into the wall an equal but opposite force must work against the F1 force. This force is called reaction force in German, I don't know how it translates. This is very similar to Kirchhoff in my eyes.

Of course, we could go for the momentum too, but I just passed a higher math exam and want to get drunk instead. Did this help you a little on the topic at least bruh?
>>
>>14928227
Because my car makes 470kw to the wheels.
>>
>>14928454
not him, but I dont know anything that isnt in + generated = out + stored
>>
File: uk.png (74 KB, 697x768) Image search: [Google]
uk.png
74 KB, 697x768
>>14928466
>only
>>
>>14928518
You generally don't work with stored energy unless you're building something that can actually store stuff. I was working on an immediate user idea, you know, an internal circuit in a kitchen appliance or something.
>>
>>14928542
it was more that equation works on pretty much anything in the world, just cancel out the bits that aren't applicable for that application
>>
>>14928454
Holy shit what an overly complex way of saying both statics and kirchoff loops rely on summing the components to zero.

Mount stupid is a frightfully real thing.
>>
>>14928227
>Any form of DD
>350kW
DD is for comforts, faggot.
>>
Its a piece of shit and all I can afford to run.
>>
>>14928227
Because that unit of measure is pleb-tier
>>
>>14928227
I don't have money.
>>
>>14928227
I have no car.
>>
>>14928227
Because I'm not a gigantic faggot
>>
>>14928892
A DD is something you commute with, the car itself doesn't matter. If I drive a sports car every day is that somehow not a DD
>>
>>14928537
>only

Thats on all motor. If I turn on my bottle, it adds 150hp on stage 1 (2nd gear WOT)and 300hp on stage 2 (3rd gear WOT). Aussies would love me because they love their tire smoke.
>>
>>14928892
Where I live DD varies from person to person. Driving my winter car feels sluggish in the fall and driving my summer car feels balls out when the warm weather hits. You can DD anything anon, just depends on how much comfort and safety you want with it. Lap belts, polyformance bushings, and trac bars are all I need for that.
>>
File: capri (6).jpg (3 MB, 3200x2400) Image search: [Google]
capri (6).jpg
3 MB, 3200x2400
>>14928227
Because it isn't a 10-tonne freight ship, unlike your faggoty car.
>>
>>14928227
Taxes, cost of modifications, cost of upkeep and fuel economy. That's pretty much it.
>>
>>14928291
We should measure a cars power in microwaves rather than horsepower
>>
>>14928227
Because it would be quite a lot for a 1.4 liter SOHC, single point injected engine designed in the 1980's. Not to mention the rest of the drivetrain.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>not wanting to push 500 bhp
>>
>>14928227
It's a focus. That's why.
>>
>>14929717
Disgusting.
>>
>>14928227
Have fun riding your BigManWiener
>>
>>14929785
>I love modern plastic covered engine bays

Please remain in the designated customer waiting area while your vehicle is being worked on.
>>
>>14929831

I think he meant the niggerish cable management.
>>
>>14929831
He means your retarded cables, you plonker.
>>
>>14928227
because my M car is NA
>>
>>14928227
the amount of time gained compared to the costs is not worth it.
therefore it reduces to a dick waving competition in which i will not participate.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.