[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shackle lift
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: download.jpg (9 KB, 243x207) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9 KB, 243x207
I have a question guys.

I was thinking about doing a shackle lift on my Jeep XJ. I have read that extended rear shackles can cause the leaf springs to wear out faster than normal due to the adjusted angle which would shift where the majority of the weight would distribute throughout the leaf spring. However, any pics I have seen of this occurring is with old rusty leaf springs. I currently have brand new leaf stock size spring replacements that I will be putting in soon.

I only plan on possibly lifting this vehicle about 2". With such a small lift and new leaf springs, will this be an issue for me at all? If so, how long would it take for 2" shackles to start wearing out my leaf springs? Any input would be appreciated.
>>
>>14912283
>lifting
>heep

What would you like written on your headstone?
>>
>>14912297

What's that supposed to even mean?
>>
>>14912283
lifting will strain all your suspension and driveline components senpai. just take a look at your wheel well and everything you see in there will be strained.
>cv joints
>axles
>bushings
>control arms
>engine mounts
>suspension

you cant just lift the rear axle dumb dumb. you need to lift all the wheels or your car is going to look like a stanced piece of shit.

also the only reason to lift is to be able to fit larger wheel diameters that dont fit inside the wheel well.
lifting the chassis doesnt magically lift the axles, engine or differentials. increased clearance comes from the the wheel size.
>>
>>14912283
It's not an issue. I have 1.5" shackles on 1" lift springs and they're fine.
If you try to lift it with worn out, 20 year-old leafs is when you get trouble.
>>
>>14912331

No fucking shit. I was asking only about the rear, I already know what I'm doing with the front.

Why the fuck would anyone want to only lift only one end apart from leveling? Also, I never said a damn thing about lifting the entire suspension.

I swear, some of you guys are as retarded as /b/.
>>
>>14912345

Thanks for an actual response. How long have you had them on your new springs?
>>
>>14912331
>lifting the chassis doesnt magically lift the axles
The fuck are you talking about?
Axles are unsprung mass, they wouldn't move either way.

The only 'CV joints' you might have to worry about are the rear axle u-joints. They're the only joints that would be put at any kind of different angle than if it was at stock height.

Lifting it will in no way put any more strain on the axles. That doesn't even make sense.

Bushings aren't affected either. Pretty much every suspension bushing on an xj is a straight-through, no frills bushing. They don't have eccentric angles to worry about.

No extra wear is put on the control arms either, as they're non adjustable. You only have to replace them if you're going over 3", and that is only because the pinion angle of the front axle would be off.

>Engine mounts
The engine isn't attached directly to the axle. Neither the engine or transmission mounts will be under any additional stress, as the driveshafts are where the drop will occur.

>suspension
what about it?

Please, learn at least the basics of what you're talking about before writing such an uninformed post and acting like it's fact.
>>
File: morebracket02.jpg (65 KB, 425x319) Image search: [Google]
morebracket02.jpg
65 KB, 425x319
>>14912355
that's why I told you to do it senpai.
>shackle only lift
what do you hope to gain from just raising the centre of mass of your car?
>>
>>14912359
About a year now, but if you research on the theory of an extended shackle, there isn't all that much extra stress placed on the spring. 'Lift' shackles are really just meant to correct an incorrect shackle angle, which would occur if you had lift springs. If you only do shackles, your ride will likely be harsher, as they would change the angle further from what stock should be. (If you're putting new stock-height leaves in)
A better option would be to buy Upcountry package leafs, which are about a 1.5" lift, and then shackles if you want to go higher, as the shackle angle would be closer to ideal.
>>
>>14912375

Why does it matter to you? The only information I was asking for from those with any real experience/knowledge is, and let me break it down really easy for you:

extended shackles>brand new leaf springs>wear and tear

And honestly, if you can't think of a SINGE benefit from the lift I was asking about (and mind you, I never said either way if I was going to be adding bigger tires), then you obviously don't know what you're talking about and should probably just move on to a different thread.
>>
>>14912389

Right. I Ordered stock springs because they need to be replaced pretty badly. I'm not 100% sure if I want to do a small lift or not, I was just looking for input from anyone with experience before I decide. I know what all my lift options are, I just have other financial obligations and I'm not sure if I want to drop a whole lot of cash on it. Hence, why I was asking about lift shackles on stock springs. I'm not sure how long it would take for any ill effects to start showing up.

Thanks for your input.
>>
File: 20160423_160907-1.jpg (1 MB, 2653x1884) Image search: [Google]
20160423_160907-1.jpg
1 MB, 2653x1884
>>14912389
Also this is mine as it sits now. It's got the upcountry springs and shackles in the rear, and +2" moog coils in the front. It's on 235/75's currently.
>>
>>14912415
I was in the same boat, so I just went with what I have now because the upcountry leafs were actually $20 less than the stock replacements.
Of course, I spent way more doing the front coils and shackles, but I have a good chunk of brand new suspension now.
>>
>>14912394
being able to clear speed bumps at high speeds?
>>
>>14912417

Nice. See, I also have 235's on mine, which is about 10mm bigger than stock. That's another reason I'm asking about the lift. I don't want to ditch the rims/tires because they're brand new. I just bought this thing and the previous owner put them on.
>>
>>14912435

Really, that's all you can think of?

Idiot.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.