[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mountain Driving
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: mtbldy.png (4 MB, 1632x1139) Image search: [Google]
mtbldy.png
4 MB, 1632x1139
So I went near pic related tonight to clear my head a bit and get away from the city. Anybody got any recommendations for good routes through the mountains here in southern california? glendora ridge road looks pretty good, might check it out another time.

Also, how do I not kill myself or anybody else while driving around up there? My old focus is fairly nimble, but the tires are budget tier. How close to the recommended speed posted on yellow signs is safe? Even doing 45 through a turn with a yellow posted sign of 35 felt borderline not safe.
>>
Holy shit anon... you are too retarded to be hitting up mountain roads. Please stay the fuck away.

I can see 7 things wrong in your post, can you tell me what they are?
>>
>>14906740
That bad huh. I guess it's pretty dangerous when you don't know what you don't know.
>>
>>14906748
>it's pretty dangerous when you don't know what you don't know
Precisely my point.

Think about everything that can go wrong and educate your self into safety. You want the best sources of information available, /o/ is one of the worst.
>>
>>14906765
To be clear, I wasn't intentionally speeding around the mountains up there. I guess it might have sounded that way.

My pads are still good and tires have plenty of tread as well. I was just worried about fading my brakes on the downhill. Did some engine braking to help, but came into turns a little too fast sometimes.
>>
>>14906782
I think what the other anon meant was that if you are going with an old car with not-great-tires over-speeding at night in a mountain route its kinda dangerous. Never done it myself, never found out how dangerous it could be. But at least that's what i THINK he means
>>
>>14906782
Drive the road slowly at first. Go faster once you learn your limits. I know the GMR/Glendora Ridge Roads well and they can be pretty gnarly.

If your a total newbie to mountain roads I suggest Azusa canyon (although its closed not much farther then the bridge to east fork last I checked) but it's not that far, in fact east fork links it to the GMR.

But make sure you stay in your lane OP. There are a good amount of cyclist on the GMR and a ton of normies on Azusa
>>
Yeah like others said start slow.

I started out trying to be a cool drift guy and ended up spinning out my first time, luckily nobody got injured including my car.

Then I started to appreciate driving the right way and knowing what your limits are.
>>
>>14906765
/o/ is one of the best places
The very few people who do have experience and knowledge are just heavily outweighed by retards
>>
OP, Glendora Ridge and Glendora Mountain Road are two different things (Or technically one turns into the other, but still). Glendora Ridge is fucking scary, it's 12 miles of blind corners in a relatively thin single lane road where traffic goes both ways. And people don't always stick to their own side either. You'd have to be crazy to go much more than 30 for most of it unless you just want to crash straight into some dude coming the opposite way around a corner.

GMR though is fairly wider with actual divided lanes and the curves arent so tight either.
>>
>>14906832
OP here, I agree it'd be incredibly foolish to speed on a route you're unfamiliar with, especially at night. I was over the limit by maybe 5 or 10 at the worst on the downhill. Uphill my piece of shit is too slow.
>>14906843
Thanks for the tips. When I venture up there, I'll be sure to take it easy. I wouldn't ever think about going into anything outside of my lane on a public road.
>>14906848
Yeah a buddy of mine had a similar experience, except his kid brother was in the car. They were both fine, as was the car, but they got a damn good scare out of it.
>>
>>14906899
Thanks for the insight. GMR sounds like a safer bet for a cruise from the sounds of it.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.