[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is a cheap way to tune my car? These things cost $400
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: 101200 (2).jpg (115 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
101200 (2).jpg
115 KB, 640x480
What is a cheap way to tune my car?

These things cost $400 for a tiny ass computer that you can buy for $10 at Wal-Mart. I'd rather just buy a tuner membership for $150 from them.
>>
>>14906275
You need an OBD reader?
>>
youre not paying for the computer.

youre paying for the time and effort someone to develop software for the platform.

the obd2 scanner at walmart is no where near tuning software.

gotta pay to play.

after that, forum knowledge is free and pulls on the highway are only the cost of fuel.
>>
>>14906285
>defending the equivalent of micro transactions for cars

kill yourself
>>
>>14906308
then go buy a car with zero aftermarket support and spend years picking apart the code in the ecu yourself.

faggot.
>>
>>14906319
>he works for Americanmuscle
>>
>>14906329
i dont work in the industry at all.

post less troll harder.

faggot.
>>
>>14906275
>These things cost $400 for a tiny ass computer that you can buy for $10 at Wal-Mart
There's a big difference between an actual tuner like a Bama tuner and a SCANTOOL you can buy at Walmart.
The things you get at walmart can read data, tell you codes and That's it. They can't tune the computer.

>>14906285
>youre paying for the time and effort someone to develop software for the platform.
This

>>14906319
This as well. Every car uses a different ECU based on a number of different things.

For example.
From 2003-2007, The Saturn Ion could be had with one of 7 different ECU's depending on model year and engine option. Each ECU requires completely separate coding and therefore requires a completely different program to tune.
>>
>>14906334
>From 2003-2007, The Saturn Ion could be had with one of 7 different ECU's depending on model year and engine option.
and all but one of those ECU's (2003-2004 2.2L cars) is capable of being tuned
>>
>>14906532
thats because >14906308 didn't dissect and integrate it into user friendly software yet.
>>
>>14906558
If he wants to try, go for it. That ECU was only ever used in 2003-2004 2.2L Saturn Ions (of which there is a large glut of) and 2002-2004 Saturn Vue 2.2L's.
>>
>>14906587
the people with the skillset to do so don't have time to shit post on /o/ over it.

i bet he's never tuned a car in his life or would even know where to start to make a fast car.
>>
>>14906608
agreed. OP is clearly retarded for thinking a scanner and a tuner do the same thing.
>>
>>14906275
Standalone engine management
/thread
>>
>>14906706
>$1200+ not including tuning
>>
>>14906275
Turn your mixture screws.

Oh wait.
>>
>>14906711
>not including tuning

this is exactly what i hate about the whole scene. learning to tune the car yourself is 90% of the hobby. bolting on a catback and intake, then taking it in for a tune requires zero thinking.

Learning to calibrate the ecu myself has been the most fun part of this hobby by far over the last 15 years. Full understanding of whats going on, any physical mod I do, I know the trade offs and how it will affect everything else.

Just cant imagine going through the hobby again being naive to the whole tuning part. And once you figure it out, it's near impossible to have a conversation with someone that doesn't at a meet or at the track. Years ago I would think lots of the fast guys were dicks, and maybe some do have big egos, but now I understand why they come off as dicks to those who know relatively nothing because they hire out tuning.

It's like having a hobby of building super computers, and having no knowledge of software.
>>
>>14908640
The problem for most people is that a good tune, whether tuning it yourself or having someone do it for you, is hours of time on a dyno, which isn't cheap by any means. Rent out a dyno and use a program where you can tune the ECU yourself (something along the lines of HPTuners). It's still expensive.
>>
>>14908787
Ive never tried it, but I hear that a good flat road can work. Not as well obviously, because you have no idea how much power you're putting down, but you can get all the constants right so you dont blow yourself up.
>>
>>14908787
Thats just an excuse. All tuning and learning I've done has been with reading the forums and taking 3rd and 4th gear pulls on the highway.
>>
>>14909021
>that's just an excuse
>this poorfag substitute is better than a superior proper tune
Yea. Keep telling yourself that when you blow up the engine because of a mistake a dyno could've picked up.
>>
>>14908787
Why not do road tunes? You're putting the same loads on the car and the only difference is you don't get a hp/tq number, which shouldn't be the goal of your tuning anyway. On the road you can still see knock counts, AFR, you name it, and tweak the tables accordingly.
>>
>>14906308
Are you literally retarded?
>>
>>14909036
On my first built engine for 5 years now. Over 3 years over 30psi boost. Dipped into the 50s last summer. Beat the snot out of the car, zero issues. Completely self taught and tuned on the road.

Stay mad I guess.
>>
>>14906275
>Why can't people work for me for free ;_; ???

fuck off you cheap twat
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.