[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
California Smog
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: smog_emissions_star.jpg (81 KB, 400x278) Image search: [Google]
smog_emissions_star.jpg
81 KB, 400x278
Requesting help from anyone who is knowledgeable about California smog laws.

Right now as it stands by law you can only have any 1 single smog readiness monitor in the incomplete state and still pass the test.
On the Bureau of Automotive repair website they list the smog regulations as being updated on May 4th, 2015.

I'm having trouble completing two of the monitors on my 97 nissan even after doing the drive tests and going 500+ miles. I now have the feeling that I always had 2 incomplete monitors but since I haven't done a smog since 2014, the new regulations weren't yet in affect.

What I'd like to know is: before may 2015 how many smog readiness monitors could you have incomplete and still pass CA smog for a '97 model car
Was it one or two?
>>
File: image.jpg (218 KB, 922x619) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
218 KB, 922x619
(cont) from the bar website
>>
Get a bluetooth module and the torque app.
It will give you output of the monitors.

What I have found, is if you have a weak battery, it will drop the monitors on startup.

What I do is drive the vehicle in one sitting, until the monitors have cleared, then take it in without ever shutting it off.

As for the law stated. you can pass with an incomplete evap system only, as that can take many miles and days to clear.
>>
What monitors are you having the issue with?
>>
>>14905623
>Get a bluetooth module and the torque app
already have it

>What I have found, is if you have a weak battery, it will drop the monitors on startup
all remaining monitors and staying as complete status

>As for the law stated. you can pass with an incomplete evap system only, as that can take many miles and days to clear.
thats only for 2000 and newer, i have a 97 as i stated which they allow any 1 monitor incomplete

>>14905624
>What monitors are you having the issue with?
Catalyst and EGR
>>
>>14905653
Those both can take a while. my 99 took 120 miles to clear
Are you getting pending faults in torque?

What has your smog tech said about it?
>>
>>14905653
Do you have an inline or a V engine (1 monitor or 2 banks)? If the EGR has an issue it could in turn cause problems with the after cat 02 reading, might be able to kill 2 birds with one stone and not have to replace the cat
>>
>>14905670
Only code im getting in torque is a ghost code for a knock sensor which wouldn't affect anything.

I've gone over 500 miles of driving since I reset the ecu and Catalyst and EGR are still incomplete.
I smogged the car a few weeks ago and it passed emissions fine, but failed functional because of the two incomplete monitors
He told me as long as I can get one of them to dissapear he can pass the car.
>>
i want to visit california from canada in a jdm that's less than 25 years old and a road legal two stroke the likes of which haven't been legal since the 70s because of smog.. am i asking to have my vehicles seized and turned to cubes
>>
>>14905694
its a 97 240sx so just a 4 cylinder
only check engine light problem I had in recent months was a P0440 EVAP small leak unrelated to the catalyst or egr which has since remained cleared
>>
>>14905718
as long as you're not planning on becoming a resident and your car isn't smoking, you're fine.
>>
>>14905739
Have you looked into what the drive cycle is supposed to be? It may just be you haven't spent enough time at a certain RPM range for long enough
>>
File: drive cycle.png (209 KB, 1181x809) Image search: [Google]
drive cycle.png
209 KB, 1181x809
>>14905759
I've tried my best to run through this drive cycle multiple times.

The reason I originally asked if CA law changed it from 2 allowed incomplete monitors to one is because ive reset my ecu many time over the years and still was able to smog before. So if CA law was always only allowing 1 incomplete monitor, i know for a fact it will eventually clear just takes time. However if they used to allow 2 and have since changed it to 1 i might be screwed because its possible i could never complete those 2 monitors for whatever reason.
>>
>>14905757
the two stroke is like a chimney..... because it's a two stroke
>>
>>14905787
They dont just sit incomplete forever.

it will eventually clear, or throw a code.
>>
>>14905790
sorry missed the two stroke part. I'm fucking drunk. nah, best not bring that here. you'll get stopped left and right for the smoke. CHP at least where I am in NorCal doesn't fuck around if they think your car is going to catch on fire or in just ratty condition
>>
>>14905979
Some cars do

on 97-98 toyota tercel/paseo the evaporative monitor will never set to complete
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.