[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
High rev needed to get into first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 96_honda_accord_excoupe.jpg (22 KB, 512x331) Image search: [Google]
96_honda_accord_excoupe.jpg
22 KB, 512x331
What's going on here? I got a 97 Accord LX manual with 170,000 on it. Engine runs good, nice acceleration and seems very well taken-care of.

I notice that in order to get from neutral into first gear without the car shuddering and engine seeming in danger of stalling, I need to give it like 3000 RPM before I start letting the clutch out. 1st to second is better, although still a little rough, and all the other gears are fine.

I've driven manual before and this seems quite a lot of revs to need to get in drive, although I've seen people drive like this before but I always thought they were just bad drivers. Is it just what this car needs, or is it like a bad clutch or something? The engagement point seems high which I've heard is a sign of bad clutch... but there is no hesitation upon accelerating once in gear, and there is no trouble getting into first either as long as I rev it hard enough.
>>
It's a 4 cylinder Accord it has no torque that's why
>>
>>14904991
>I notice that in order to get from neutral into first gear without the car shuddering and engine seeming in danger of stalling, I need to give it like 3000 RPM before I start letting the clutch out.

Your car won't stall in neutral

Your transmission will have a hard time getting into first if you rev to 3k then try to put it in first dude

>I have driven manual before
Doesn't seem like it
>>
>>14904991
honestly sounds like the clutch/flywheel is going. Replace them both.
>>
>>14905028
that's what I was hoping is the cause. although I've driven similarly-underpowered cars before and don't remember having the same problem. well, it is definitely fun to do. just seems wrong.

I guess I don't understand the difference between torque and whatever else is involved, since the car seems to go really well once it's in gear.
>>
>>14905040
nah it shudders and seems about to stall unless I give it 3K. I expect to be able to gently start releasing the clutch and then start giving it gas like my other cars, but it don't like that.

>>14905045
Yeah that's what cause came to mind, I just wondered if this particular symptom is a sign of a failing clutch, since it isn't what I see when I search for that, and the other signs I did find are not what I'm observing.
>>
>>14905146
look up signs of a failing flywheel. I had a similar problem that turned out to be the flywheel having small hairline cracks in it causing it to slip a bit. The problem just got worse and worse until I replaced both the flywheel and clutch.
>>
>>14905146
>shudders and seems about to stall
I don't understand any of your posts is it doing it in first? Or doing it in neutral?
>>
>>14905167
think about what you do with a transmission. that's when the problem happens.

>>14905161
k thanks, I'll look into that.
>>
>>14905187
There's no hope for you if your going to be a smart fuck. Explain better shit stain
>>
>>14905222
>your
>>
>>14905222
>Youre
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.