[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
drifting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: osaka-touge-drift.jpg (63 KB, 499x375) Image search: [Google]
osaka-touge-drift.jpg
63 KB, 499x375
Why is there so much hate for drifting on /o/?

I just started learning how to do it, and it's loads of fun. My car is set up for grip driving so it's a little snappy at times, and I'm pretty bad, but I'm really enjoying it.
>>
>>14904270
>hate for drifting

stance =/= drifting

We love Initial D and Super Eurobeat, how can we hate drifting?
>>
>>14904270
Who here doesn't enjoy getting sideways every once in a while?
>>
>>14904302
>>14904316
Every time drifting comes up I see tons of
>hurrrr not a real motorsport
>hurrrr drift kiddies
>hurrrr waste of tires
>>
>>14904326
well yeah its not a real motorsport and drift kiddies are cancerous weebs with sticker covered jap mobiles. its the image that half of /o/ hates, not the act itself. the other half of /o/ are anime watching fags in /osg/ so yeah
>>
>>14904326
>hurrrr not a real motorsport
Well this is true, a sport is a competition with defined rules. Drifting can at best be a contest.
>hurrrr drift kiddies
There are a lot of retards who think drifting is the best thing ever and actually the fastest way to take a corner and want to have a driftmonster machine
>hurrrr waste of tires
Eh, if you have fun with your car nothing is a waste.
>>
>>14904326
Mostly because people jumped to "muh 86" Or some stupid shit like kenny boy who has a 600hp AWD car.
>>
>>14904270
Drifting on the togue with your crew for fun is cool.
Drifting competitively and to be in the "scene" or a [hoonigan] is pretentious.

And this is from someone who drifted semi-professionally in Formula D/D1 in 05-09.
>>
The drift scene is simply associated too closely with the stance scene.
>>
>>14904351
Drifting is the fastest way to take a corner in low traction, very tight/hairpin turn situations, which of course almost never happens outside of rallying.

Drifting is also the fastest way to take a corner on an unfamiliar track. You can control the car much better at a higher speed with drifting than attempting apexes on a track where you don't even know where the apex is or where the car needs to be after the turn for the next corner.
>>
>>14904491
Is any of this true? Do you have credible sources?

I am actually interested in the science of this
pls respond
>>
>>14904491
>Drifting is the fastest way to take a corner in low traction, very tight/hairpin turn situations
Yes

>Drifting is also the fastest way to take a corner on an unfamiliar track. You can control the car much better at a higher speed with drifting than attempting apexes on a track where you don't even know where the apex is or where the car needs to be after the turn for the next corner.
No
>>
>>14904491
I'll call bullshit on the second statement.

>>14904270
Drifting is fun to do and looks cool, but that's about it. I'll actually be going to the Formula Drift event at Road Atlanta next month.
>>
>>>/wsg/1029213
Anyone who says this doesn't look fun as fuck is dead inside.
>>
File: 1433635249415.jpg (44 KB, 282x341) Image search: [Google]
1433635249415.jpg
44 KB, 282x341
>>14904270
>so much hate for drifting on /o/?
What /o/ are you talking about? Because it's not the board we're currently on
>>
Because this board is full of retards that don't know how to drive
>>
>>14904519
The only thing I can think of would be that spinning the tires will shove the bad traction surface away and dig down to better traction.

Otherwise kinetic friction is always lower than static, so spinning will always be slower (scientifically).

Though if you don't know your limit, you could potentially go faster while drifting since you'll be going as fast as sliding can make you go instead of as fast as you're letting yourself go. If you don't push hard enough under traction, you might be going slower. Which would also apply to low traction or inconsistent traction situations.
>>
File: ferrari-250-gto_100348982_h.jpg (809 KB, 2551x1720) Image search: [Google]
ferrari-250-gto_100348982_h.jpg
809 KB, 2551x1720
>>14904529
>>14904491

Eeehhh depends on the car:

>"The 250 GTO's basic rear suspension... [was a] transverse leaf spring...The point has been made that even amateur drivers could drift a GTO through a corner, it's handling was completely predictable and it almost never bit back."

So some cars are prone to slight drift to help them take a predictable line. Mostly applies to old cars though.

Got this form my book on the 250 GTO, an interesting read.
>>
>>14904270
Because dumbfucks like you think there is a difference between 'grip' driving and 'drifting'.

Protip: if you are going fast, there isn't. 'Grip driving just means you are drifting with 2-5 degrees of yaw and drifting means you are drifting with 20-30 degrees of yaw.

Consistently keeping the yaw right in the sweet spot of the tires is way the fuck harder than just sliding all over the place.
>>
>>14904491
Holy shit
>>
>>14904588
Wow they really are not going all that fast are they? Are the diffs welded or is it just because they're going downhill?
>>
>>14905760

When looking at pics of the 250 GTO's rear suspension I see a live rear axle with dual leaf springs, very conventional. Not a transverse one.. Was it a specific iteration the book was referring to?
>>
File: toyota-trueno-drifting.gif (1 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
toyota-trueno-drifting.gif
1 MB, 480x270
>>14905942
Ferrari 250 GTO: The History of a Legend
By Anthony Pritchard, 2010.

Specific page is 171, bottom paragraph.
>>
>>14904351
there are drift competitions with defined rules though, right?
>>
>>14905942
>>14906000
What a waste of trips, the book has a section itself on the cars details:

>"At the rear, the suspension consists of a rigid axle suspended on a pair of semi-elliptical leaf springs."

I guess you're right senpai
>>
>>14906030
>>14906000
>>14905942
>>14905760
Fugg, what we were looking at was a Watt Linkage, implying there's independent play for the rear axles and springs. No major changes through out Series I and II.
>>
>>14904491
I would say with the second point it's more about an unfamiliar surface than an unfamiliar track, usually in tarmac rally's. If you're going round a corner without drift and you hit a bump or a puddle you don't know which way the car is going to oversteer, a little bit of drift makes it much easier to respond on the fly.
>>
Anyone remember that faggot we used to make fun of on here that constantly tried to drift his grand prix on public roads and shit?
>>
>>14906013
I think he means because of the way drift races a run.. Like there's three judges that decide if you won or lost but there's not a clear criteria for how to win.
>>
>>14904533
If you missed moto america and or the mitty but are going to that shitfest ill go just to strangle you.
>>
>>14907189
But the gp is fwd.
>>
>>14907662
Most professional drifting is ran as a cat and mouse, in two runs
Keep on their ass while staying sideways and you get good boy points
Put big distance between you and them while staying sideways and you get more good boy points
It's pretty objective who the winner is
>>
File: inspiration.png (762 KB, 517x519) Image search: [Google]
inspiration.png
762 KB, 517x519
>>14904270
There's no hate for drifting, it's just there's no point pining about driving in the late 90's, taking hairpin turns on the touge, racing friends and not worrying about the cops and systematic surveillance.
That age is over.

Best you can do is work with what you've got. Rip hektic skidz and play around on your own, or with a few people at random, unpredictable areas, for a short period of time.
>>
I don't know about everyone else but for me at least, it's the autistic fanbase
I like drifting, I like JDM, I like many things but the gay ass fanbase makes me not want to talk about it anywhere other than the internet.
>>
>>14907701
Exactly.

It was Dagumi: retarded suburbanite teenager edition
>>
Drifting is just engine cuckoldry
>>
Drifting was more entertaining when all the cars had different engines and sounds. Now it just sounds like Nascar with a bunch of identical v8's
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.