[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Off road lights
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: Hella.jpg (101 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
Hella.jpg
101 KB, 500x400
In regards to non light bar style lights.

Instead of using 2-4 of the same light at $50-100 each why not spend the money on one good light?
>>
I'm unaware of a developed country where an uneven number of headlights isn't illegal.
>>
>>14902916
>uneven number of headlights isn't illegal

I'll look into this. Why does it matter if they are auxiliary lights used in addition with the headlights?
>>
>>14902916
They are not headlights, they are auxiliary offroad lights
>>
>>14902916
Surely 2 standard plus 2/4 auxiliary would be an even number.
>>
>>14902916
In most places in the U.S. you're allowed to have four forward lights operational at a time. (so two hi-beams, two fogs, etc)

Install as many as you like as long as you're only using standard lights on the road.
>>
File: 20150910_160420_resized.jpg (683 KB, 1568x882) Image search: [Google]
20150910_160420_resized.jpg
683 KB, 1568x882
>>14902892
Because, for offroad, one would want great width instead of long range, and for proper coverage one would typically need several as there are limits to how much spread a bucket will give you

This is the reason why LED's are so much more popular these days
>>
>>14903434
>>14903421
>>14903406

Ok, legality aside, back to the original question.

Why not just spend all you money on one super good off road light instead of on a few lower performing lights?
>>
>>14903555
But you can run flood beams or Euro beams that have a much wider spread than the old school kc hilighter pencil beams.

One modern Euro beam is going to have a much wider spread than four pencil beam. Downside is that they shine a little less far.
>>
File: 20160220_200250_resized.jpg (142 KB, 1568x882) Image search: [Google]
20160220_200250_resized.jpg
142 KB, 1568x882
>>14903591
Yes, but still not "enough" for people who do offroad, although these people often have their lights set up in such a way that they'd be just as well served with just two

The best setup, if using buckets, for this would be something like four ontop of the roof, with the two on the outer edges pointing towards the left and right front wheel, and with the two middle ones towards the ground close ahead

We are talking offroad here, right? Slow crawling in dark conditions where you want the area around your vehicle properly illuminated, and not a setup you'd use when driving on a dark country road at higher speeds?
>>
>>14903737
The question was for offroad lights in general. Kind of a theory question.
I will be buying a "driving" light. Probably euro beam pattern. Ill use it on highway wired to come on with highbeams.

Two 50$ lights or one 150$ light.
>>
I think I'm gonna get two hella 4000's. One in euro and one in cornering beam.

Any guesses how many 50$ hella 500's would it take to out perform a single Hella 4000 HID model?
>>
>>14903572
Because then when it breaks you're in the dark.
>>
>>14907519
>used in addition to factory high beams
>>
I use 2 100W HID spotties for hunting from my car

need moar light t͏bh
>>
>>14905289
Two. You will want them aimed a bit to the sides of the road.

You simply cannot replicate the power of two lamps unless you're comparing something like a 35w mini halogen spot to a wide reflector 75w xenon

For halogens I can recommend 55w H7, in s 9" housing with medium spread

Xenon; 35w up to 75w in similar housing. 100w typically dont last long

LED: Whatever you think suitable
>>
who Hela 4000's with HID conversion here?
>>
>>14905289
Generally that single $150w light will put out more than a single $50 light but less than two $50 lights.

>>14908213
I've got 35/55w HID swapped PIAA 520s on my bumper, hoping for four 75w HID swapped Hella 4000s for my roof basket sometime in the near future.
>>
>>14902916
Illinois is 5 forward facing beams on simultaneously. Most common configurations
Low
Hi
Low+Fog
Low+Hi

A "spotlight" is allowed to be the fifth beam used in conjunction with any of the above.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.