[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
end of diy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Pulsar_SSS_cyber_green.jpg (78 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Pulsar_SSS_cyber_green.jpg
78 KB, 640x480
when ev cars are in. why modify or change oil?

welcome tesla
>>
speak english next time
anyway, it'll end up being largely about suspension mods, tuning (through software) and more extreme jobs will involve motor swaps with adapter plates or upgrading motors with different performance bits
>>
File: tumblr_nyjqo5EPNM1u3jrwpo1_1280.jpg (106 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nyjqo5EPNM1u3jrwpo1_1280.jpg
106 KB, 1080x720
welcome future

(no)
>>
>>14901303
Haha no.

> 2036
> Want to install sik mawds on your Apple iCar
> Pop the hood
> Alarm blasts off from the car
> ALERT ALERT UNAUTHORIZED ENGINE BAY ACESS AND ILLEGAL TAMPERING ATTEMPT DETECTED IN VIOLATION OF THE 2029 PATENT INTEGRITY ENFORCEMENT ACT. YOUR POSITION HAS BEEN TRIANGULATED BY GOOGLE SECURITY (FORMERLY NATIONAL SECURITY AGENCY). PLEASE REMAIN IN THE AREA UNTIL TERM OF SERVICE ENFORCEMENT PERSONEL REACHES YOUR POSITION.
> Your Shkreli Corp. e-Kidney that replaces the kidney you sold off to rent a 6 sq ft shack in the local AirBnB Improvement District sends you a high voltage shock.
> Pass out
> Wake up and hear a voice coming from a nearby speaker :
> Good morning citizen and welcome to the President Elon Musk State PrisonPlex. You have been senteced to ten years for your crimes. Also, in order to pay for your 100 GoogleBucks a day rent in the PrisonPlex, you must undergo testing of experimental Shkreli Corp. drugs and bionic parts for a salary of 5 GoogleBucks an hour. Have a nice stay !
>>
>>14901794
Yeah Yeah whatever /pol/ these memes got stale long ago

Anyway, I'm guessing it'll be more about electricians in the future than about mechanics.
>not popping a 5kw Diesel generator into the trunk to extend your range
>>
>>14901817
Car companies have been doing their best to illegalize and prevent working on your car for years.
>>
>>14901794
>you must undergo testing of experimental Shkreli Corp. drugs and bionic parts for a salary of 5 GoogleBucks an hour. Have a nice stay !

fuck that just check me in
gotta get that sweet robot pussy
>>
>>14901835
So?
>drive into underground parking garage
>lol GPS me through twenty meters of steel reinforced concrete faggots *unzips socket wrench*
>gently rape vehicle into all of its orifices all night, stripping out the original hardware and inserting GNU/Loonix flashed circuit boards and spoofed ID codes
>literally jailbreaking your car and also downloading a new one
>spray paint INSTALL GENTOO onto the hood
>drive off into the sunset free as in freedom while blasting Richard Stallman speeches from your aux jack fed stereo
>>
>>14901817
auto techs already need extensive electrical knowledge, but the testing methods and comprehension of the computer systems is piss-poor.

My professor insists on using test lights and multimeters to diagnose CAN systems, which is all well and good if you're simply looking at continuity and proper resistance, but actually diagnosing and repairing the system requires computer skills that a lot of techs simply aren't taught. The only thing saving them is that the systems are still relatively simple and the components are designed to be replaced instead of repaired.

It also helps that in-car networks are roughly analogous to late '90s computer networking technology.
>>
>>14901905
Well that's most likely because every car manufacturer thinks up their own special retarded system and installs God knows what kind of wrinkles into it to make it super special. OBD 2 isn't good enough, we need a more total standardization so repair and modification is actually comprehensive.
>>
>>14901905
The computer modules are basically treated like black boxes. it's not that different from conventional computer systems, really, aside from there being less software to fuck with since it's all embedded.

Repairing, rather than replacing, probably wouldn't be worth the time/effort, let alone the liability issues if a tech fucked something up. Though, I suppose a manufacturer could set up centralized facilities to refurb electronic modules the same way they sometimes do other parts.
>>
>>14901794
remember that that "copyright on engine software" bill got completely eviscerated almost immediately and dismissed by everyone.
it made for great clickbait for a few days though
>>
>>14901905
this. Auto tech classes still really haven't caught up with the ongoing computerization of cars.
>>
>>14902026
How could they, the systems are proprietary clusterfucks. That and any "Universal" type tools to interface beyond OBDII are expensive as fuck because Licence fees.
There needs to be a new OBD standard that encompasses all of the legacy systems, yet weeds out all of the proprietary bullshit so I don't have to spend 9001 dollars on each manufacturers scanner and software.
>>
most tunning, real tuning, is sacrificing the manufacturers build in reliability safety margins for speed. I imagine tuning an electric car would be just the same. Getting a bit more power out of the motor risking greater heat.. or finding a way to keep things cooler etc etc.

An electric car is simpler.. so not as much room for improvement, but there is always room for improvement somewhere.

A great many people in the 80s said you wouldn't be able to tune EFI cars
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.