[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I put "water wetter"(with Deionized water, I think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: 2003_00004_01.jpg (222 KB, 850x544) Image search: [Google]
2003_00004_01.jpg
222 KB, 850x544
So I put "water wetter"(with Deionized water, I think it was like fill it will distilled water then add water wetter to it, done" in my mustang about 7 years ago on the advice of a ford tech, mustang specialty (i doubt that's a formal title, he drove terminator and was the "mustang guy")
Two years ago I was somewhere where the temperatures were getting to freezing over night so I added some coolent to my coolent(water wetter + Deionized).
I'm not wondering about how quickly the coolent will go bad. I'm reading people want you to flush the coolent every 2 years or so, by adding the coolent do i now need to flush it?
pic semi related, not my car but same model.
>>
It wouldn't hurt to flush it honestly.
>>
There is a drain under the radiator. Draining just the radiator and filling it will be good enough.
>>
>>14898510
With what?
>>14898502
With what?
Do I do the water wetter thing again, do they even sell that anymore?
>>
>>14898510
Thanks for that pro tip, I used that drain when I switched from coolant to DI+WW.
>>
>>14898528
With Motorcraft coolant that is designed for your 4.6
>>
>>14898566
I actually buy alot of motor craft replacements. But the mustang guy pushed the WW+DI. I see no reason to switch when I have seen no problems.
He also wanted me to drill a hole though my temp sensor housing to allow for constant flow, because the temp sensor fails and then you blow up the motor. I declined that one. I'm not going to run my motor that cold all the time.
>>
>>14898528
Buy coolant and read the bottle on mixing it with water. Or you can buy 50/50 coolant that's already mixed but you're technically paying more for it because half of it is water. Motorcraft is Ford brand.
>>
>>14898652
No shit, motorcraft is the ford brand? Thanks for that hot tip. Thanks for telling me to mix it with "water" too bro! It's almost like there are many types of water and you shouldn't just randomly mix tap water into your coolant system.
Interesting you think I don't know what/who motorcraft is but give me advice on just adding water to coolant.
>>
>>14898528
Does this water wetter snake oil have the same lubricating and anti corrosive properties that conventional coolant have? Coolant is not just for antifreeze purposes.
Flush it and put in what Ford says should go in there.
Mustang guy sounds real smart with his "I'll just fix this with muh drill" operation.
>>
>>14900261
Yes, it does. It's basically coolant minus the anti freeze properties.
>>
>>14900261
>Does this water wetter snake oil have the same lubricating and anti corrosive properties that conventional coolant have? Coolant is not just for antifreeze purposes.
Water wetter is just antifreeze for people who are more concerned about boiling temperatures than freezing temperatures. This might surprise you, but there's a substantial number of people who live in areas that never drop below freezing.
>>
>>14900597
I don't see the advantage. You just lose the antifreeze properties.
If op's car has problems with boiling coolant, I'm pretty sure he has another more urgent issue than something this wondercoolant can fix.
I doubt that manufacturers prefer this thing over conventional glycol based coolants even in desert areas.
>inb4 but muh race engine
>>
>>14900597
No it isn't. It's literally soap and it works by changing the surface tension properties of water. It has zero capacity for changing the boiling or freezing point of water. It also doesn't include corrosion inhibitors or any lubricants. It does, however, make for easier cleanups when spilled on tracks.
>>
>>14900707
Yes, but you get better specific heat and boiling temperature. There's literally no reason not to use it if you're one of the tens of not hundreds of millions of people who don't have to worry about frozen engine blocks.

Manufacturers are always going to recommend 50/50, even though that's not ideal for any climate, because it's retard proof. If you're afraid your car is going to explode because the alignment tech have you 1/16" total toe in instead of the manufacturer's recommended 0 toe, you will want to stick with 50/50 premixed antifreeze from your manufacturer's recommended brand. If you actually know anything about cars, you will use whatever's best and cheapest for your climate and usage.
>>
>>14900261
you sound like you've never experimented and always listen to what others have told you.
>the cost cutting jews know how to make muh car last forever
>its not like i love wasting money, but its up there with sucking dick and fingering my boipussy
>>
>>14900720
Then does Redline advertise those things on their product page?
>Rust and corrosion protection allows for use of straight water in racing or reduced antifreeze levels in warm climates
>Cleans and lubricates water pump seals
>>
>>14900747
The reduced antifreeze portion is related to the fact that temperature transfer is improved and therefore you shouldn't need as great a boilover protection as before since it shouldn't get that hot.
>cleans and lubricates what about THAT huh?

I guess you've never used soap then
>>
File: 1460162391619.png (345 KB, 498x568) Image search: [Google]
1460162391619.png
345 KB, 498x568
>>14898674
Holy fuck this bait. You're buying snake oil at a markup when you could use literally any type of clean tap water and coolant.
0/10 made me reply
>>
>>14900734
Specific heat, yes I will give you that. But this only counts if you exclusively use this product mixed with clean water.
Higher boiling point, no. Their spec sheet actually lists a lower boiling point at the same pressure compared to a 50/50 conventional mix.
It also says to add a minimum of 20% antifreeze if your car has ac to prevent freezing of the heater core. And I quote: "even in summertime".
This is an additive, and unless you are running a race engine it is not needed. You are only jewing yourself when buying this stuff.
>>
File: LaughingGirls_laptop.jpg (113 KB, 389x251) Image search: [Google]
LaughingGirls_laptop.jpg
113 KB, 389x251
>>14900809
>tap water
>not distilled
>>
>>14901314
>distilled
>paying more for shittier taste
>>
>>14898528

0W-20 is what you should replace it with. It flows easily and has a greater thermal capacity than water. It'll also help keep your coolant pump well lubricated.

The only reason people use water is because it's cheap. Look at how big a radiator you need to cool the water compared to how small oil coolers are.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.