[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I let my project go My truck has been giving me a hell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: Snapchat-223741935137806097.jpg (1 MB, 1440x2368) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-223741935137806097.jpg
1 MB, 1440x2368
Should I let my project go

My truck has been giving me a hell of a time. It's a 1984 d150. My grandfather gave it to me. Learned most of what I know working on it. Finally got takes on it in December of 2015 and I've put about 12 Kmi on it since. Everything was going fairly good until February since then muffler blew up, radiator broke, u-joint blew on highway, tailgate broke, rear break adjustor borke and scored the drum, front caliper locked up the list goes on...I'm in school so I don't have a lot of time to work on it. So should I stop driving it and just work on it when I can or find something slightly newer and possible 4 wheel drive that needs less work
>>
More info
318 727 2 barrel
Not much rust
Clunking noise when going in reverse
Needs valve stem seals
Bed is caved in on passenger side beyond repair
Probably needs drivers door

If I didn't have the emotional attachment to it it would probably be gone already
Also the risk of getting a lemon if I replaced it....I generally think I know what to look for but there is still that chance
>>
File: 2016-03-09 21.36.16.jpg (3 MB, 2981x1676) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-09 21.36.16.jpg
3 MB, 2981x1676
Don't sell it. Put it under a tarp or something until you get back on your feet, I sold my power wagon for the same reasons now I would kill a man to have it back
>>
File: IMG_20160316_174303.jpg (386 KB, 2006x1204) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160316_174303.jpg
386 KB, 2006x1204
Only problem with that is as I'm going to school I still live with my parents and even though we live in the sticks my dad has the idea that we have to keep insurance on everything.....dont know why. But to keep it around it has to stay tagged and insured...I don't want to get rid of it but at the same time it's not going to be fun paying insurance for 2 years on something I might not be able to drive or see as I plan to transfer to VT in 2 semesters
>>
>>14898481
Non opp that shit nigger
>>
File: 20160312_150148.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160312_150148.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
I have a '91 D150 that i'm trying to get rid of, the rust is just overwhelming.
It's not the body rust, I'm fine with taking care of that, it's just everything bolted on to the chassis is so rusted it's such a pain in the ass to work on I don't wanna do it.
Simple, 5 minute jobs like changing the fuel filter turn into 1 & 1/2 hours of cutting, drilling, and sawing to put a new one on.
Sure looks cool from a distance though.
>>
>>14898481
Just keep it man. You'll regret selling grandads truck. You'll have the time and money one day.
If you have a facebook check out the group "1972-1993 Dodge Trucks" they're pretty nice and helpful. Also a good place to find parts.
>>
>>14898481
Tell him you're buying insurance. But then don't.
>>
>>14898481

Call your insurance agent and the DMV and ask what you need to do to take it off the road and let the tags/insurance lapse without causing you any issues down the line. Usually it's just filling out a form, then you're not actively paying on it. Most of the repairs you need sound pretty easy, so set it aside and work on it as you have time. Eventually you'll get it up and running and you'll be happy you kept it.
>>
>>14898481
just get parking insurance, it's only like $30 a month
>>
>>14898543
No reason we have to carry anything on it out here.....we had it for over a year with no coverage while it was still in my grandparents name my dad just has it in his head that we have to cover it
>>14898570
I'm on his plan
>>
>>14898335
Those 318s are pretty simple and there's a lot of em. A little search on Craigslist and a free day you'll be in action.
>>
>>14898621
The coverage on it now is only like 25$ it's not that big of a deal....really wasn't the point only brought it up because someone said just trow a tarp on it with this it could be sitting like 3 years that adds up to a lot of money
>>
>>14898724
I did all my engine swaps under a tree limb with a come along in highschool if you don't have a cherry picker
>>
>>14898724
Just a small oil leak and valve stem seals is all that's wrong with the motor the transmission and rear end makes the clunking noises
>>
File: IMG_20160215_184515.jpg (799 KB, 2623x1595) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160215_184515.jpg
799 KB, 2623x1595
For those making sudjustions about the insurance I really think that's more of my dad not wanting something sitting....he made me sell a mg midget for 75$ because it was sitting ( I was like 16 it was his old car, that he sold to my grandfather before I was born then given to me ect.)

>>14898749
I've got a tractor with a bucket......no problem with the motor anyway the problem is time
>>
>>14898562
Yes I would....little more on it he got the truck free from his brother in law after it was on fire...my grandfather has 4 other trucks( they have a business)...apparently he hates Dodge didn't know that till about 6 months ago....the pic of the yellow truck was the first on he got I repainted it with him when I was like 14-15
>>
Dad sounds like a d bag. Be a man and use your tractor to put a big block in it and daily the fuck out of it.
>>
So poor ridiculous amounts of money into the Dodge or spend that money on a different truck it would probably cost about 2k before paint to get the Dodge in shape
>>
>>14898870
I do daily the fuck out of it I put 11 k miles on it in the last year....dont have time for a swap or id pick up the 96 f150 down the road with a blown motor for 200$ and the motor from a junk crown Vic my cousin don't want anymore in it
>>
>>14898294

Flip a coin- heads you keep it, tails you dump it.

Doesn't matter how the coin lands. How you wanted it to land while it was still in the air is your answer.
>>
>>14898335
Part it out locally. Then every time you see an 80's Dodge truck it will be like grampa saying hi.
>>
>>14899038
No couldn't do that....was going to try that with the mg couldn't do it....besides still the time issue I've got a spare instruments cluster I needed parts form and still haven't sold parts
>>
>>14899038
Hahaha best advice you can get here bud
>>
>>14899054
Just take his unique customizations off of it and sell it then when you get more money buy an identical one in better condition and put all his shit in it, splash around some Skin Bracer or whatever he wore it'll be the same. That's the nice thing about vehicles, you can get identical examples.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.