[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone ever dragged one of these. Moving soon, what should I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: uhaul n shit.jpg (8 KB, 272x153) Image search: [Google]
uhaul n shit.jpg
8 KB, 272x153
Anyone ever dragged one of these. Moving soon, what should I expect.

driving a Honda pilot.
>>
you should expect bad gas milage and a weird rear tugging sensation.

Drive caution, it will take you longer to brake. Remember you have a trailer when turning.

you might want to change all your fluids before you go, engine oil, transmission, transfer case, both diffs.
>>
it blows up
>>
ex uhaul employee here, >>14894718 is correct.

also expect water leaks if you're dropping it off at the same location you're picking it up from.
>>
don't these things have trailer brakes? especially if its dual axle
>>
>>14894742
water leaks? explane?
>>
Never get the single axle trailers. They are always on the side of the highway with blown tires.

I know pic is tandemn
>>
>>14894805
Not him but probably since it's a short distance they will give you barely working ones.
>>
I had one of these fall off the hitch while I was doing 80, bad times man
>>
>>14894789
they use momentum to activate the brakes. not electronically controlled.

>>14894805
two types of trips:
-in-town
-one way
if you rent the trailer "in town" it means you are intending on bringing it back to the location you pick it up from.
one way means you are dropping it off at a different uhaul at a different location.

because "in town" rentals are supposed to be short trips. the equipment is usually old and beaten to shit.
if you do a one way rental, the equipment is much newer and less beaten to shit.

dumb fucks will smack them into shit not knowing how to drive and because the whole roof is riveted together, shit gets fucked and we end up needing to fix it with a caulking gun because hiring an actual mechanic would cost the company too much money apparantly. 99% of the time when it rains it still leaks in.
anything that can't get wet, put plastic on it, use plastic chair/couch covers, if you have to put blankets or something down to soak up some of the water if it does get in. put papers in plastic bins, not cardboard boxes. there will be a warning label on the inside of the trailer saying the same thing and that "these trailers are water RESISTANT not WATERPROOF" as a liability because the company knows they leak but doesn't do shit about it.
again, the newer ones should be fine, the older ones are likely to be screwed.
>>
>>14894836
also this, learn how to hook it up yourself from YouTube videos and make sure the chucklefucks put it on right. we had an auto-trailer fall off a customers car because a new employee was left unattended to hook up trailers with no help.
>>
>>14894851
what about strapping a basic tarp across the front/top and lashing it down?
>>
>>14894867
you could do that, but I would still take preventative measures just in case water does get in.
>>
>>14894851
>look up what "momentum brakes" are
>it's a hydraulic system which basically detects when the trailer tongue is being compressed due to the car decelerating and applies the brakes proportionally
that's....kinda cool
>>
File: 2016-04-21 17.31.32.jpg (1 MB, 1885x1060) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-21 17.31.32.jpg
1 MB, 1885x1060
Bumpy, bad fuel economy, car will feel less powerful, more cabin noise

Do you know how to drive with a trailer?
>>
>>14894704
Always approach your intermediate rest areas, parking or refueling stations with the strategy of never having to reverse out of whatever position you pull into.
In other words, always try to maneuver and park into "pull-thru" spaces.
Sure you can get good at backing a trailer, but it's a hassle and always presents potential hazards.
Sounds simple enough, but its easy to forget sometimes and the next thing you know you've parked yourself in some fucked up way you have to back out of.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.