[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
does any one else do their own tuneups?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: tuning-up-a-car.jpg (1 MB, 2122x1415) Image search: [Google]
tuning-up-a-car.jpg
1 MB, 2122x1415
does any one else do their own tuneups?
>>
Kill yourself and your mother
>>
>>14894327
gotta love /o/
>>
>>14894316
I don't know what a tune up is
>>
>>14894316
>some will say yes and tell you what they run
>some will say yes and have no idea what you're even asking
>same will say no and what they had their mechanic/tune shop put on
>some will say no and have no idea what you're even asking

There op. Look how great a thread this is. You happy now?
>>
>tune up

what exactly IS a tune up?

>ignition points: spark plug wires, spark plugs, dizzy, rotor, ign coil etc
>fuel system: fuel filter, injector cleaning
>air filter
>oil change
>valve adjustment (older engines)

what else? when does basic maintenance become a "tune up?"
>>
You're not doing a tune up unless you're manually tuning the car. Why is replacing the parts like spark plugs coils and wires and a fuel and air filter called a tune up? You're not adjusting points, valve clearances, setting plug gaps, advancing or retarding spark, adjusting a/f ratio. You're not a tuner you're a grease monkey
>>
>>14894641
so no modern car would require a "tune up" of any kind

>adjusting valves, ignition points, gapping plugs, having a computer that doesn't control spark advance or a/f

no car since 1990 or so would really need a "tune up" by your definition

>carburetter
>point to point ignition
>pre-OBD0/1
>non-hydraulic lifters
>>
>>14894600
thats not a tuneup faggot.
a tune up is an ancient proceedure that was done on engines 20+ years old where you needed to verify and adjust the valve cap clearances from the camshaft. we have hydraulic ones now that dont need adjusting.
>>
>>14894316
I rebuilt my engine, does that count?
>>
>>14894657
>carburetter
>>
>>14894657
I'm just poking fun at the fact a modern day tune up literally consists of changing parts. It's kind of like saying we can't tune the existing parts or use them so we need new ones. Kind of the opposite of tuning. Have you ever tuned a piano or violin by giving it a new set of strings?
>>
>>14895740
the strings are self tensioning though.
i'm not sure I get the joke really
>new cars require less fiddling
>hence working on newer fuel injected, hydraulic lash adjusted engines is worse
>because they are more efficient and powerful?
>>
>>14895766
Ok tune this piano
(Grab tone maker and wrench)

Ok tune this car
(Throw away old spark plugs filters plug wires etc and replace)

See the difference? When you tune up a car you aren't really under hood tweaking anything under carefully controlled, instrumentalised monitoring and getting anything back in spec.

Any car tuner these days has a dyno, or an alignment rack because they're tuning the suspension.

By the strict definition of tuning you take something existing and modify it because it's adjustable by design. with out adding anything to it. So why am I being charged labor AND parts for tuning? Because it's not a tuneup, you're paying for a spark plug, plug wire, and air/fuel filter change. Maybe a little throttle body cleaning. Btw pianos don't have self adjusting strings. Every string would need its own auto-tensioner. Strings stretch over time and they need tuning every 6 months or so or every time the piano is moved
>>
And when I get the piano tuned I'm paying for nothing but having the guy come to my house and turn his wrench.
>>
>>14894316
I do everything including clutch but I hate doing brake fluid flushes so I just let a shop handle disposal and shit, it's only $50
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.