[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Greetings, /o/. /k/ommando here, and I'd like to know what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 19
File: DSC01163.jpg (358 KB, 1806x1201) Image search: [Google]
DSC01163.jpg
358 KB, 1806x1201
Greetings, /o/.

/k/ommando here, and I'd like to know what it is about cars you guys like so much, on an individual basis. As a "gun person," I understand what it's like to have an autistic fascination with something and possess frightening amounts of very specific and useless knowledge about said thing. I know what it's like to be triggered by all the glaring mistakes you see in movies/games/etc. that cover your obscure hobby of choice. I want to understand what you guys feel when you're wrenching/driving/whatever in the same way that I wish I could express why I like guns to "normal" people. I want to share my excitement with them.

So, why do you enjoy this hobby? Is it the speed/power? The mechanical complexity? The social status? Being "one" with the machine?

What got you into cars in the first place?
>>
I like the fact that they are not designed to kill human beings. Engineering behind all the crash and pedestrian safety amazes me
>>
>>14893564
top banter
>>
>>14893482
i like being able to use it for it's intended purpose instead of making it look like something it will never be used for
>>
>>14893564
>not designed to kill human beings
And yet, car deaths are orders of magnitude higher than firearms deaths will ever be.

Is this how you treat outsiders who seek to understand your hobby rather than ridicule you for it?

>>14893584
>implying
>>
>>14893590
This is how I treat people who try to compare cars to guns or computers
>>
>>14893607
You were comparing cars to guns in your first post. You said that one is designed to kill people, and one isn't. I don't see why comparing things is bad in the first place, though.
>>
>>14893615
I was pointing out to fundamental differences between two autism objects. Thats why you cant just take arguements for one and use it on another.
>>
>>14893482
As a guy that got into cars first before guns I'd say what really gets me off is the synchronization between yourself and the machine that is required to use it well.

To really get a car to dance around corners, you have to be relaxed and work with it. I have found long range shooting to be similar.

Getting out on some private property and just letting loose with a semi-auto .308 simply feels great, I can't tell you why. Getting a car to perform at it's absolute limit... that feeling of being connected to a machine doing it's thing is very similar to me between /o/ and /k/.

/k/ people tend to be way more awesome than /o/tists though. Cars attract a lot of dumbfucks hunting for status. Way more than guns. Most of those dumbfucks have the sense to be scared of guns and stay away from them.
>>
>>14893635
I didn't come here to argue. I dunno why you had to get into politics right out of the gate. I have no intentions of hurting anyone, and just want to enjoy my hobby in peace, without everyone judging me for it. I figured /o/ of all places could understand that, although to a lesser degree.
>>
>>14893655
>I have no intentions of hurting anyone
Maybe you should find another hobby, preferably one that doesn't involve things purposely built for fucking killing people.
>>
>>14893651
OP here. I think I know what you mean in regards to the synchronization aspect. Learning to become a better driver is something I've wanted to do for a long time, but I've never even driven a manual before.

I'd also like to have an intimate understanding of the inner workings of a car, but cars are way more complicated than guns. Guns are simple and easy for my dumb brain to understand.
>>
>Over at my brother's house
>He has firearms everywhere
>All of them are immaculate
>Most of them have never been fired
>Those that have been fired were only fired 3, maybe 4 times
>The 20g is the only one to see regular use

What's the point? Almost everyone I know with firearms may as well put them in a bubble.
>The cool thing about guns is that they never lose their value
>>
>>14893482
Cars themselves didn't catch me at first, but rather racing Go-Karts did. I enjoyed pushing myself to my own limit while knowing that of anything would fail it would be myself and not the machine. What fascinates me about cars now is that they're finely tuned pieces of multi-thousand dollar machinery that we take for granted, and the engineering that's gone in to them is mind-blowing (especially in new vehicles).

I'm not very well versed I'm guns, I've only been shooting a few times, but I enjoy shooting more for the fun factor than anything else.
>>
/o/k/ here

Cars for me are a very personal thing. Modifying my car, it ends up as an extension of my personality.
When I was heavily depressed, throwing said cars around windy roads as fast as possible working on cornering technique kept me alive. As lame as it sounds, while I'm doing that my mind is focused on nothing else.

I suppose that escapism element is the same with firearms. Looking down the scope towards that target nothing else enters into your head.

However I do prefer cars, since there's so much more you can do with them. It's a lifestyle for me.

Ask me anything.
>>
>>14893671
I just go to the range to shoot at paper, mate. Also, if you cared to do even a rudimentary amount of research on the topic, you'd find that only military weapons can really be said to have been designed for the express purpose of killing humans. Guns are used for many other things.

You also still haven't acknowledged that cars are statistically way more dangerous and deadly than guns, regardless of what they're designed for.
>>
>>14893655
What politics? I just said the purpose of a gun. If you want to enjoy your hobby in peace, do just that. You dont have to find justification for enjoying it.
>>
>>14893677
A lot of people actually use their guns rather than baby them as "safe queens." You can't make generalizations about gun people, just like you can't make generalizations about car people.
>>
>>14893590
>missed the joke
>>
>>14893701
>purpose of a gun
Most guns are not designed to kill people. Do some research.

I know I don't need to justify it to myself. I'm just tired of people like >>14893671 judging me for it when they have no idea what they're talking about.
>>
>>14893671
Dude go fuck yourself. Faggots like you are the first to go crying for halp when somebody calls you on having zero force to back up your personal liberties.

>>14893674
If you are more into driving and less into mechanics I would say drive, and listen to the car, let it tell you what it wants. Only learn as much about the mechanics as needed to understand what they are doing so you can improve your driving.

>>14893677
>The cool thing about guns is that they never lose their value
They do if you shoot them. I have put thousands of rounds down all my guns. I might be able to get 1/3rd of what I put into them. I keep them all in good shape but things do wear. Every time you shoot you are wearing the action, wearing the rifling and vaporizing a tiny bit of the chamber.
>>
>>14893677
shit i have m8s who are like this with cars. i argue and argue that the best thing would be to drive them like they we're built for.
>muh resale value
>muh paint
>muh no-rust
>muh appreciation

fucking garage queens m8. shouldn't even be aloud to own cars or drive them.
>>
>>14893678
>the engineering that's gone in to them is mind-blowing (especially in new vehicles).
Lol no it isn't. If you are Elon Musk you just hire some phone engineers and tell them to build car. And ta-da, you have the best car ever built. The big auto makers are staffed by absolute retards.
>>
>>14893699
Why draw the line.

Military derived weapons are some of the most rugged and dependable available to the general public. Their ammo is also widely available surplus.

If you want to learn how to shoot, and you want something with more of a kick than .22LR, a AR-15 or AK47 is one of the most economical ways you can get trigger time.

For a couple years I went through 200-300 rounds with my AR15 every weekend. I didn't clean it once, only sprayed in CLP and cycled the action before shooting for the day.

Not. A. Single. Malfunction. Hardly any wear on the bolt carrier and upper. The rifle is still tight and still shoots better than I can.
>>
>>14893728
Says the basement dwelling nocar neet who thinks he knows more about mechanical engineering than the actual engineers.
>>
>>14893764
I want to buy my technology from a technology company. If the old car companies are so good why did it take a guy from silicon valley to reinvent the car and show them how to do their jobs?
>>
>>14893482
Shut the fuck up
>>
>>14893482
/k/ommando and /o/tist here.

For me its the mechanical complexity.

It is when i understand that the engines are JUST pieces of metal, plastic, springs, some rubber that work thanks to a battery and fluids that i realize how every single function inside a car has a physical reason to exist.

Instead of "the transmission works because it works like this" or "Engine does this and makes this" its so interesting for me to understand HOW and WHY each action an engine does has a very logical physical explanation
>>
>>14893756
Hey, you're preaching to the choir. I don't think there is a line; guns are guns. Most of my favorite firearm designs come from the military. I was just trying to explain to him that guns aren't necessarily baby-killing machines like he seems to think.
>>
>>14893482
I like learning the machine, taking pride in the fact that I know when and how to maintain any component. I like knowing how to operate it properly, what it's limits are what it's potential is.

clipping an apex in a corner perfectly is a bullseye and finishing a repair properly and efficiently is like field dressing your firearm in the same manner.

My favorite is to resurrect old vehicles and get them back on the road though, any downtrodden old pos. I'm like a lady with broken birds.

>>14893584
mfw this guy drives a fwd car with a gt wing
>>
>>14893778
>field dressing
I think you mean field stripping, bruv. Field dressing is what you do with dead animals, but I get your meaning. Learning how all the little components work is a big part of it for me, too.
>>
>>14893785
Not the anon you were talking to, just chiming in my two cents. Outside of the United States and other English speaking places, the full takedown to component level of a firearm is also referred to as field dressing.

Confused the hell out of me while working with the Czech in Kuwait. I thought we were about to eat a goat or something lol. I was a little disappointed when we didn't.
>>
>>14893785
my bad not a gun guy, I have a mossberg shotgun but only because I need it for hikes.

cars are just cool, cars are expression, freedom, utility, and a toy in one. I don't feel the same way about any machine, cars are almost alive to me, they have personalities. I love my cars
>>
I got my start wrenching on single cylinder engines and on tractors. Older engines became a fascination of mine with their quirks.
>Waukesha i6 marine gas engine dieseling after running WOT for a few hours.
>Briggs and Stratton engine vapor locking if stalled...

For me it was a job well done and the satisfaction after you start it up for the first time after repairing it.

Then it's the synchronization of man and machine against the world.
>>
>>14893821
Jesus christ, where are you hiking? All you probably need for protection is a pocket knife and graphing calculator.
>>
>>14893831
honestly you don't even need that much, whenever an animal gives me trouble I just punch it...really hard.
>>
Former kommando here. I actually got into cars because there was a "What do you drive" thread on /k/, and Heartbreaker posted a picture of the 2nd gen nova he used to have, and it struck me. Ended up researching the car, which got me into classic Chevy, which got me into cars in general.
>>
>>14893831
Outside of Fairbanks, AK. There are bruins pretty much in our neighborhood. And many in da woods. blacks are puss a good yell sends them packin, cow moose with her young and wolverine are also dangerous.
http://www.sitnews.us/0416News/040716/040716_bear_aware.html.

>>14893839
I would love to see it m8.
>>
File: Capturehome.png (46 KB, 457x595) Image search: [Google]
Capturehome.png
46 KB, 457x595
>>14893881
well I fucked that up
>>
>>14893881
bears are easy, all you have to do is ram your fist down it's throat to trigger a dry heaving response.

the bear is pretty much your bitch from this point on. you can take as long as you want to punch it to the ground.
>>
File: lazybear.jpg (142 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
lazybear.jpg
142 KB, 960x720
>>14893885
semi related
>>
File: damnmoose2.jpg (40 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
damnmoose2.jpg
40 KB, 720x960
>>14893893
I've accidentally woke a bear in a tree up, you don't want to sneak up on a bear, look up when you're near big trees

little bastard got stuck in my volleyball net and the other two chewed him free, then they shit on my lawn.
>>
>>14893674
It's actually pretty damn easy to undestand cars. Honestly to get going you just need to know main parts and what they. Diagnosing problems is pretty easy, when you have a basic idea what everhyting does. Fixing stuff is as easy as looking around the ol' google.

Also, I worked for 3 months as a mechanic for some heavy machinery (tanks and apc's, in my country maintance and repair of that stuff is outsourced) and I really didn't know anything about that stuff, I just learned by doing and quickly I was able to do stuff on my own.
>>
File: mama.jpg (76 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
mama.jpg
76 KB, 720x960
>>14893911
momma came a lil closer so I could get a good shot. these are from my front door btw. fuckin lovin the rural life
>>
File: 1990MazdaMiata_01_700.jpg (58 KB, 700x498) Image search: [Google]
1990MazdaMiata_01_700.jpg
58 KB, 700x498
this is /o/'s equivalent to the Mosin Nagant that should say enough
>>
>>14893564
Safety features are literally the only thing that kills people now.

>Side airbags.
>Shrapnel airbags.
>Heavier Frame.
>Smaller windows.
>Crumple Zones.
>Electronic fly by wire control.

I don't feel the fear in my 82' Benz like I do in a 2001 going 80mph.
>>
>>14893590

He's joking. Pedestrian safety features are often loathed by people in the car world.
>>
>>14893934
>Cheap
>Not even that good
>Wants to do sporting competitions with it.

Sounds right.
>>
>>14893925
I guess I have a basic understanding of the whole package. For example, I know that you need things like Ackermann steering geometry and differentials to turn without the wheels slipping. Does that already put me ahead of most people? I dunno how much the average person knows about cars.
>>
File: by my deeds i honor him v8.jpg (63 KB, 600x386) Image search: [Google]
by my deeds i honor him v8.jpg
63 KB, 600x386
Because I didn't want to let my memes stay being dreams
>>
>>14893969
Doesn't really matter what other people know.

The basics you really need to know is how combustion engine works. This makes it much more easier to diagnose and fix problems. Then stuff like cooling, power steering, suspension, chassis, electronics and such. Step by step. There's no need to know everhyting out of the gate. Much like when buying tools.

Ratchet, wrenches, screwdrivers and pair of pliers. Then whenever you need something you buy it.

One reason I like cars and working on them it's the fact you learn by doing stuff when you need to learn it.
>>
>>14893936
You are legitimately retarded
>>
Didn't realise how many faggots on /o/ were antigun. Thought you guys would have a bit more sense. I'm hearing what you're saying OP. I build guns, modify them to my taste and to get the most performance out of them, practice with them to further my skills and like cars I try to enjoy most aspects of the hobby (reloading, cast my own bullets from lead, gunsmithing, long range, pistols, antique collecting and shooting,etc). I think the two hobbies are very similar in how vast they are with many sub-interest groups in them both.
To the faggots saying guns are made only to kill people that is retarded. That's like saying cars are only made to drag race. Different guns are made for different purposes just like cars. They are both just mechanical inanimate objects made by man and it's the users intentions that can turn either one into a killing machine.
>>
>>14894183
it's late here but early in bongistan, the beta is strong within them but they were probably just rustling jimmies.
>>
>>14893764
Engineer here, cars are consumer products, the only thing that is built to last past it's warranty is enterprice shit and heavy machinery. Welcome to capitalism.
>>
>>14894211
but m8 we had guns 'till the early 90's. then had a big shooting and the guns got banned. havent had a decent shooting since. sort of like how you guys banned kinda eggs.
>>
>>14894233
There was no big shooting before weapons were banned and now you've got immigrants and rapists infesting your fucking country with ISIS spies in between them.
>>
skrewdrivers kill more people than guns do
>>
Someone give me examples of guns that are not designed to hurt living beings.
>>
>>14893774
Do you wear a mechanical watch?
>>
I like cars because getting to my hunt camp would take a very long time any other way
>>
>>14894382
These guns right here
OH WAIT
THESE ALSO KILL PEOPLE
DON'T WANT THESE GOING OFF IN A CROWD OF WOMEN, SOMEONE MIGHT DROWN IN ALL THE PUSSY JUICE!
SUPA SET GNARRR!
>>
>>14893693

I feel you on this. Connecting to cars compared to firearms just isn't the same. You connect with a car almost daily, getting to and from work/where ever. Firearms, you connect for a day or so at the range and then its sometimes several days before you get to get trigger time.
>>
>>14894382
Literally every target gun ever.
This includes:
>biathlon/3G/IDPA/IPSC race guns.
>Olympic target pistols
>long range target rifles
>rail guns
>shotguns for clay shooting
Shotguns used to remove ice from ships designed for arctic voyages.

Cars are just as dangerous as any gun. You are the one branding an inanimate object with your own latent motives.
>>
>>14894382
That's the wrong question. No factory firearms are made for criminal activity.
>>
>>14894472
>/fit/ snaps into action
>>
File: assault_zps88918531.jpg (86 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
assault_zps88918531.jpg
86 KB, 612x612
wait till the leftists start going after what you love with the same lame arguments.
>>
File: 1459394696464.jpg (23 KB, 240x251) Image search: [Google]
1459394696464.jpg
23 KB, 240x251
>>14894233
>kinder eggs are banned in america

kek, forgot about that one

why can't americans understand we will NEVER give up our right to own kinder eggs?
>>
>>14895229
because there is a law by the FDA stating that you can't sell food that contains nonedible items. Especially to children. It kind of makes sense. But anyways, they're in store everywhere I go so I don't see how they're banned.
>>
l've asked it myself, "why cars?". Maybe getting corny but l think it's that men need them and have grown to love them as such. Kind of like firearms in the past; a man had a pistol and a horse. l like both cars and guns -- maybe "it's genetic"?

Cannot own guns though 'cause Scandinavian. At least l got 9 months of triggertime in the army.
>>
You're implying /o/ likes anything.

All /o/ does is bitch and moan about other peoples' tastes and worry about what people buy. Someone could buy some fag's favorite car on here but that same fag would try to rip the person's decision apart out of pur jealously. It's fucking AIDS here.
>>
>>14895243
Don't try reasoning with butthurt yurocucks
>>
>>14893482
question for /k/ fags, what's the point of doing up an AR like you're gonna kill somebody with it, but never even kill anybody? why not just build a model?
>>
>>14893482
Something about driving is just great. Something about the sound of the engine is just great. I don't know what.
>>
>>14895342
Nobody is jealous of your stanced 93 Civic,
>>
For me, it's a fascination with working with my hands since I was a kid. I always liked building things, I always liked to tinker, and I always liked to go fast. So now that I have my own money, I can afford to have an expensive hobby that satisfies all three of those childhood aspirations, and it's entirely self-reflexive and intrinsically rewarding.

There's nothing quite like going WOT in the machine you've painstakingly maintained and tuned as the sun sets on a warm summer evening with the windows down and the sound of the engine in your ears.
>>
File: original[1].jpg (27 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
original[1].jpg
27 KB, 500x367
Holy shit what is happening in this thread? Is the /o/k/ connection dead?

>>14893482
Guns and cars can be compared very easily and generally hobbyists for one have some interest in the other. They're both mechanical investments that serve real purposes in our lives. It's terrifying that even discounting the trolls there are anons in this thread that don't understand the importance of the second amendment.

Anyway, before cars guns were things that everyone had and that having superior examples of and knowing how to use them directly translated to social status and higher quality of life in a very similar way that cars meant the same thing through the 20th century.

Having a car instantly puts a person in a superior social class to those who don't that's obvious to every single high school kid. Having a superior performing car and knowing how to use it equates to superiority to others in a palpable way (much more directly than "my car shows I'm wealthier" expensive cars) that translates to fun and sex appeal. This is similar to the way guns used to be but these days even in the most rural areas you don't take your sick rifle to the store.
>>
>>14895243
>>14895354
OVER MY DEAD BODY

"A well regulated Kinder Egg store, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear kinder eggs, shall not be infringed."

WE WILL NEVER GIVE UP OUR KINDER EGGS
>>
I love cars and guns. I am on k and o all the time
>>
>>14895363
Because we are not cucks that like a plastic piece of shit just for the sake of it.

You dont buy a fucking AE85. You buy an AE86 because its the real shit.
>>
>>14893677

When shit hits the fan, he'll have plenty to pass around.
>>
>>14893699
>Guns are used for many other things.
Gun guy here, but firearms are designed to kill. Nothing else. You can use them for target shooting, but that is simulated killing. It is a killing tool. The only firearm I can think of that has other uses is a Nugget.. which can be used as a boat oar, pole vault, railroad tie, table, bench, etc etc.

>>14893934
that's a weird looking volvo.
>>
File: image.jpg (143 KB, 868x899) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
143 KB, 868x899
>>14893482
>>
>>14895221
>implying they aren't already doing it with smog regulations
>>
File: 1440679936511.gif (2 MB, 400x286) Image search: [Google]
1440679936511.gif
2 MB, 400x286
>>14895354
more proof that usa is full of a bunch of babies. did you parents hover real close to you so you never made any mistakes? awwww so cute

enjoying real freedom that is not fear driven is so great.
>>
>>14896492
Wow that's such a nice ad hominem argument i am sure you must pray to Allah for your happiness.
>>
>>14896540
>im going to complain about an "ad hom" by throwing another ad om back to him
>>
File: 00j0j_jyxgtuCIeYK_600x450.jpg (35 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
00j0j_jyxgtuCIeYK_600x450.jpg
35 KB, 600x450
>>14893482
I used to be really into weaponry, cars because one day my dad took my truck on a trip to help his bitch move and left me with his 6 speed JZW tuned Saab

I got bored, filled the gas tank, and went on a 4 hour trip on a continuous road that runs around the local metroplex.
met a lot of boyracers
met a lot of cops
only lost to the cops

i was a sheltered autist who killed his social life for a girl who dropped him and stayed sheltered because fuck social life, this was the first real time I had spontaneously decided to get out and do something in about 2 years.
It was freedom expressed in mechanical form.
After that I started going out every night to drive, later on I started going to meets.
After going to a few meets I decided I wanted a car, sold my truck and got it.
Here we are.
>>
>>14896558
Its not an ad hominem, you fucking retard. Its a critic of how you bitch assuming europe is so much better than the US now.
>>
File: Screenshot (34).png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (34).png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>14896587
pic related, still my favorite cruise when I want to find boyracers on saturday nights.
start at 10, get home at 1-2, just in time to be off the streets before most bars do last call, meaning I'm much less likely to die racing some drunk fuckwad.
>>
>>14896595
Wait, Dallas is a squared-shaped city the size of Los Santos in GTA V?
>>
>>14896609
pretty much, just not as many hills.
>>
>>14896037
that is not the point. the AE86 can be driven. your AR will never, ever be pointed at somebody.
>>
>>14893607
Buddy, you're a goof, and need to stp posting. Stop treating outsiders like trash.
That or get back in your ricer, and fuck off into the sky. No preference.
>>
>>14896693
>guns are only ever used for killing people
what is hunting and marksmanship competitions.
isn't the latter an olympic event?
>>
>>14896693
and the argument could also be made that your ae86 will never, ever be dagumis, nor will you ever hit the akina downhill in it.
>>
>>14896693
>your AR will never be pointed at somebody

>What is home defense
>what is hunting (if you incluide animals)
>>
>>14896693
>never, ever
>implying

If it's a home defense gun, I'm going to optimize it for that role. That means it's probably gonna end up looking like a military weapon with optics, lights, etc.

>>14896727
This guy gets it.
>>
>>14896727
5 bucks says he'll bring out the "need" argument next.
that looks like what he's been building to
>>
>>14893482
Well it's something I use everyday so I think it would be stranger to not have an interest in it.
>>
>>14896753
Do you feel the same way about toilets?
>>
File: tacticool.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
tacticool.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>14896727
>home defense
what is a mossberg 500?
what is a G23?

>hunting
if you go hunting with pic related, you are a faggot to rule all faggots
>>14896739
see above
>>
>>14896763
no but i do about your mom
>>
>>14896769
>if you use another kind of weapon than the ones i deem good for hunting, you are a faggot

Yep. This is /o/
>>
>>14893482
I'm mostly in it because I like driving and meets. Local /o/ group is really active. I wish the /k/ group did more regular small range meets but it just doesn't happen.

There is a lot of cross-pollination between /k/ and /o/.
>>
>>14896769
>stop liking what I don't like
>implying you know the exact layouts and specifications of every anon's house in which leads you to deduce that a shotgun or a fucking handheld grenade is a better option
>giving this much of a fuck about what other people do

I'm going to put money on that you're a stancefag.
>>
>>14896724
No, that argument cannot be made. Let's say I idolize dagumi, and I want to drift, so I buy an AE86 and attempt to do it on public roads. I'm driving the car, and doing what I set out to.
Now another guy idolizes operators, buys an AR and puts all the coolest MAGPUL shit, and he never kills anybody with it.
>>
>>14896792
>I'm going to put money on that you're a stancefag.
hahaha, if anything people that deck out ARs are the stancefags.
>all show and no actual use
>>
>>14893590
we have our fair share of autism here

apologies, /k/olonel

I personally own an AR from Palmetto Armory, a Mosin Nagant (as well as 300 rounds of AP ammo), a 1911, and a .22. We're not all bluepilled faggots.
>>
>>14896790
>if you use the proper tool for the job you are a faggot
>>
>>14896806
>no actual use
fender flares have no actual use, point out a single standard modification you see on ARs that have no actual use.

>>14896813
>proper tool
a fucking glock is not a proper tool for any situation unless you're poor or black.
>>
I love cars. I love guns too. The Second Amendment is the protector of all the other amendments including free speech. Firearms to me, are more than just a hobby. If the government tried to take away my guns I would go apeshit and fight them to the bitter end. If the government tried to take away my car, I would also go apeshit and fight them to the bitter end. Firearms and cars are very important, with firearms being even more important imo.

By the way, the anti-gun arguments I've seen in this thread are some of the most cringe-worthy arguments I have ever seen. Seriously, you faggots literally need to get off tumblr and go the fuck outside and get some sunlight for fucks sake
>>
>>14893482
i always liked cars from day one:
some times it is the styling that draws my eye.
sometimes its the power
never really cared about the social status that some cars bring.
when you are working on the car its the peace and solitude sure from the outside its just a mechanical gadget (like gun is to a non gun person) and a commodity to be bought and sold but i see it as far more than that. like your favorite weapon i couldnt choose just one favorite car or type of car because for most things a car should reflect you and have some of your personality in it example fluffy dice and seat covers are expessing your personality in your car even washing you car says that you like to take care of it. like other people who say: i dont give a shit it gets a wash when it rains...
>>14896819
cops use glocks too
>>
>>14893677
The act of shooting?
> smell
> power (not talking 'im a g because i pack a heater' power, talking big bore)
> proficiency theres a special feeling when you fnd that one special gun that fits like it was designed with you in mind (id imagine car guys could jive with this more than anything)

Just owning guns?
> depending how you feel, once you look long enough, i guarantee youre going to findnone you think is just the most beautiful piece of steel you have everblaid eyes on.
> its an equalizer. Old, young, infirm, too fat to move, anyone can defend themselves. Stops people from taking advantage of others if used correctly.
> customization, non customization, also similar to cars. Modding is just fun. Getting these two spot on, running just the way you want them to. Theres no feeing like it.

This is by no means all the reasons, but it gives small insight into how one person thinks about both hobbies.
On a phone so you know. Spelling errors out the ass, but im sure you can comprehend my sandskrit.
>>
>>14896819
>fender flares
see, fender flares are mostly used by stancefags or brotruck owners, the idiots of the car world

>fucking glock is not a proper tool
le glocknade meemee
insert handgun of your choice then
>>
>>14896833
>cops
in America, cops don't have standarized gun models.
It's depending on local funding.

>>14896843
You're the one who compared AR owners to stancefags.

>le non glocknade maymay

for HD? what kind of house? am I in a condo? do I have walls worth a damn?
plaster?
hotel?
>>
>>14896856
>for HD? what kind of house? am I in a condo? do I have walls worth a damn?
Unless you have light wood walls and you dont want to over penetrate the walls to harm someone on the other side, there is no need not to take big weaponry. The bullshit of "YOU ONLY NEED PISTOOLS AND SHOTTGANZ 4 SELF DEFENZ" has been taken back by accounts of people being more efficient with a carbine or a rifle with them instead of a pistol.
>>
>>14896843
>>14896856
and fyi, my problem isn't with glocks or mossbergs.
it's with this strange idea that those are the only two acceptable HD weapons.
are civics and twingos the only two acceptable DD cars?
>>
>>14896856
>You're the one who compared AR owners to stancefags.
>>le non glocknade maymay
>for HD? what kind of house? am I in a condo? do I have walls worth a damn?
>plaster?
>hotel?
I don't know what you are trying to get at here
>>
>>14896871
I'm arguing against that exact point mum.

>>14896878
>I don't know anything about what I'm talking about
thanks for admitting it atleast
>>
I got into cars when I was 15 and looking for my first car to buy off of craigslist. I just liked researching and I've always liked high performance I guess. I wanted to mod it so it would look and be cool. It all spiraled downward from there.
>>
>>14896819
>fender flares have no actual use
why are you even on /o/? Flares let you legally run wider tires
inb4 "wider tires have no actual use"
>>
>>14896897
Except there is literally no use for tires wide enough to justify fender flares on the street level except wasting money on treads every few thousand miles?
>>
>>14896907
Okay so yes you are an idiot.
>>
>>14896912
is this the part where you say your EK hatch with a few simple mods and fender flares will smoke anything I drive?
>>
>>14893482
I was always fascinated with how mechanical things worked. Always used to take all sorts of random shit apart when I was a little kid. Then from the age of about 10-16 I got into small carburetted engines like lawn mowers and weed whackers. I built a couple motorized bikes with weed whacker engines in that time... And I don't really know why. It was a lot of things. Some of it was to show the people around me that I was actually pretty smart since they all thought I was an idiot, and part of it was so I could braap around town. I eventually got pulled over on my motorized bike for topping it out past a police officer (probably somewhere between 25-35 mph, hard to say).

After the bikes I bought a rider mower with no engine for 20 bucks and then threw a little 5hp engine on it with a big pulley. It would hit 20-25 mph, had a 3 speed trans, and would do wheelies. I eventually got into trouble with that too.

Working on my car is almost like a therapy session for me. I understand what I'm doing and have a goal. If something on the car is stupidly designed I can just call the engineers retarded.

I love to drive as well. I can drive a car around a track faster than about 80% (guess) of the people around here. I understand the fastest line of a corner. I like to push my car to the limit of grip. It's just fun.

I'd have guns too but I have anger issues.
>>
File: ARpeople.jpg (55 KB, 640x478) Image search: [Google]
ARpeople.jpg
55 KB, 640x478
DO NOT make fun of ARs and expect ME to save your sorry ass when it all goes to shit
>>
>>14896819
>point out a single standard modification you see on ARs that have no actual use.
ok, so let's say that all the cool things you slap on to your improve the efficiency at which you can kill people.
how many people have you killed?
would not having all that shit hinder you from killing?
>>
>>14896984
>guns are only ever used for killing people
what is hunting and marksmanship competitions.
>>
>>14896989
I'm not taking about guns, i'm talking about tacticool ARs.
>>
>>14896999
The same fucking argument applies, fuckward.
>>
>>14896999
>AR's aren't guns
>tacticool
explain what "tacticool" is.
because I'm willing to bet that even the most insignificant "mod" you can do to an AR is more significantly useful than a WAT sticker shoehorned into a corner of your back window.
>>
>>14896999
So, at this point, you're basically complaining about how other people spend their money.

On a board for car enthusiasts.
>>
>>14893590
If all women owned guns and had to use their best judgement when operating them the ratio would be closer to cars/accidental deaths
>>
>>14896984
So, if I took my "tacticool" AR and actually used it to start killing people, would that make you happy?

What the fuck is your angle here?
>>
>>14897005
the only time you would enter marksmanship competition with an AR is if it's limited to ARs
and if you hunt with one it's because you're dumb
>>
>>14897018
he's your average pleb.
he sees something, gets an idea in his head, and goes long enough without having it challenged, and now presumes it to be common knowledge instead of a false assumption nurtured by a lack of education.
Or he's just trolling.
>>
>>14897027
Wow that's such a nice argument you sure convinced me there anon.
>>
>>14897027
so you now have a reason to own an AR.
to practice for eventually joining a marksmanship competition.

thanks for admitting that there's literally nothing wrong with owning a "tacticool AR" I guess?
>>
>>14897006
>the most insignificant "mod" you can do to an AR is more significantly useful
more useful in doing what exactly? operator delusions?
>>
>>14897047
I'm still waiting for you to actually answer a question instead of deflecting it.
>>
>>14897027

Actually AR's work great in three gun competition's where the shooter uses a rifle, shotgun, and pistol.

Especially in Commifornia since we can't get any other tactical like rifles.

Also hunting with one chamber in 6.5 Grendel for deer is a good idea. It's accurate, reliable, and cool as fuck.

It would also be a decent squirrel gun.
>>
>>14897051
you know what tacticool is.
>>
/k/ in a nutshell
http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/
>>
>>14897063
And so do you, now to the part about the useless mods.
I'm waiting.
>>
>>14893482
Greetings, /k/.

/o/ommando here, and I'd like to know what it is about guns you guys like so much, on an individual basis. As a "car person," I understand what it's like to have an autistic fascination with something and possess frightening amounts of very specific and useless knowledge about said thing. I know what it's like to be triggered by all the glaring mistakes you see in movies/games/etc. that cover your obscure hobby of choice. I want to understand what you guys feel when you're shooting/killing/whatever in the same way that I wish I could express why I like cars to "normal" people. I want to share my excitement with them.
So, why do you enjoy this hobby? Is it the sound/firepower? The mechanical complexity? The social status? Being "one" with the gun?

What got you into guns in the first place?
>>
>>14893590
My nigger, look at every war since firearms were invented
>>
>big chunks of metal powered by exploding chemicals

>the feel of operating a device that allows you to explore the limits of physics

>a new car or gun is the result of hundreds of years of human engineering development

>fucking SCIENCE

imo, the more complex a machine, the closer it is to some state of being alive. Firearms and cars both exhibit personality as their parts wear and display operating quirks that seem "decided".
>>
>>14897047

Let's see,
> Be old person
> Want's to shoot ar-15
> Have eye problem's
> Uses red-dot sight so I can aim properly/easier

The foregrip/magpul style grips are nicer to hold, Pop-up front and rear sights are cool and allow the user to use a scope or iron sights.
Adjustable stock allows the user to have a proper cheek weld so he can hit shit and be comfortable.
Mags attached to each other are useful in quick reloads in competition.
Picattany rails are bad ass and creates the modding potential.

Why are /o/tists complaining about modding an item... Isn't that some of the reason we love cars?
>>
>>14897081
>shooting/killing/whatever
o boy here we go again
>>
>>14897078
every mod you make will increase the efficiency at which you kill people. it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to kill people without those mods.
>>
>>14895376

Prime example.

Doesn't even know what I drive, automatically thinks it's what he hates. He's pre-hating on me
>>
>>14893925
This. Drove with my girlfriend in her car and the rear started grinding and smelling terrible. I guessed it was the diff and sure enough, it was, it was leaking fluid. Managed to limp it home.

That was my first time actually having something fatal happen to a car, and since I knew enough I was able to diagnose it quickly. Then I just went and changed the diff with some YouTube tutorial, and did it successfully my first time.
>>
>be american
>get shot
>>
>>14893590
>And yet, car deaths are orders of magnitude higher than firearms deaths will ever be.

Learn to statistics cletus
>>
File: shotgun.jpg (809 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
shotgun.jpg
809 KB, 2048x1536
/k/ and /o/ regular here
cars and guns aren't that different
they're both machines to turn money into smoke, noise, and fun
>>
>>14896069
You are literally retarded. Single shot .22lr target pistols, high rib over/under trap shotguns, 8ga slag blasting industrial shotguns, etc. These are all designed completely without the killing of anything in mind.
>>
>>14893482
I got into cars pretty much at random. My best friend in elementary school liked them, and being at an impressionable age, I decided I would too.

Later on when I bought my first car, it became the perfect outlet for my autism. I can waste lifetimes studying and experimenting and tweaking and exchanging knowledge with both local friends and Internet strangers to build my cars better and better. And unlike a lot of ultra autistic hobbies, this one has real, practical utility and I can make use of my creations every day, feeling superior as I drive among the casuals who know nothing and buy cars the same way they buy a refrigerator.

Like, even if you're not racing or doing anything out of the ordinary—even if you're just putting around town getting groceries or whatever normal day-to-day stuff, there's something incredibly satisfying about doing it in a machine you know intimately inside and out, that you've put your heart and soul into building from the ground up. Even—especially—if the result is a raw, uncomfortable, impractical, unreliable deathtrap that's objectively worse as a means of transportation than all the rolling dishwashers around you. That just adds to the experience.

And of course, when you are racing, that exhilarating rush from pushing both your car and yourself to the ragged edge is a feeling that can't be topped.
>>
File: 1460519777529.jpg (20 KB, 640x551) Image search: [Google]
1460519777529.jpg
20 KB, 640x551
so many pussy eurocucks and libcucks ITT holy shit.

Anti gun pussies are probably all the same pussies that cry in the truck threads.
>>
>>14897071
>nutshell
>tl;dr
>>
>>14893774
Nailed it on the head.
Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.